series front hub seal - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old November 12th, 2008, 12:46 AM
William Skidmore
1994 D90
Question series front hub seal

would like to know any tricks to sitting the seal in place which happens to be a National brand. other then the freezing it to shrink a little, using the old race as a sort of drift(hope i used the term correctly). both of which i already used. had to step away as i nearly went 2001 space odessey ape on it with the hammer. wondering if i could use some emery on the paint like coating around the outer edge so it would slide in better or something??
And yes its always these little things that i get hanged up on.

so like before if there are any little tricks learned that you are willing to share i would greatly appricate that.

Old November 12th, 2008, 08:48 AM
John Karlsson
1966 Series IIA 88 SW
Nothing fancy here. A light smear of Permatex # 2 around the edge of the seal, then a gentle tap-tap-tap with a tiny hammer to ease the seal into the hub, working around the circumference and using fingers to prevent the opposite side of the seal from popping out, until the seal is almost seated. Then I use a scrap of wood large enough to cover the seal and tap it with the hammer to seat the seal flush with the hub.
John Karlsson
Hope Valley, RI

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions