Series door top rebuild - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Old January 22nd, 2013, 07:30 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Series door top rebuild

I'm most likely just going to get those fancy aluminum door tops from Rocky Mountain, but I stripped my door tops down to get the frames galvanized and have two issues

1. I didn't realize the studs were welded in. Mine are not in the best of shape but I am not sure I feel like cutting/drilling them out and welding in new ones. Seems beyond my threshold of pain
2. I need to replace/repair some of the aluminum cladding - the angled vertical strips on both sides and the bottom section of one due to holes being made by the PO. I don't see these for sale anywhere and I am not sure how easy cheap donor door tops with decent aluminum cladding can be had.

Thoughts? I kind of want to keep the original door tops, albeit galvied with fresh studs and channels, but I want a nice end product that will last another 50 years, so I know what the safe bet is. Maybe I'll galvy the frame anyway and see how the studs turn out.

http://www.parabolicsprings.com/products.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 22nd, 2013, 07:41 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Yup. Thoughts on the studs? I had assumed they were like the defender and I was going to put in a stainless set I have been hoarding.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 07:51 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Man I would just fork out the money for the RM doortops. They are very nice and less painful. Plus you'll need the rear window tracks anyway

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 22nd, 2013, 07:53 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
I dunno. I think the repro door tops are OK, and not too expensive. Otherwise just run a die over the threads to chase them of crud.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old January 22nd, 2013, 07:55 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
I guess I'll see how they come back from galvy and go from there. But Forrest is thinking what I'm thinking

The sad thing is I have a spare set of NAS door tops here too... Just want to keep the series look.
Old January 25th, 2013, 10:36 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
I gave up on the series look when I found a set of MOD 110 doortops for cheap.
Old January 28th, 2013, 11:50 PM
aka rover
ed angel
95 D90

Registry
I ended up going with a set of early D110 doors with roll up windows. I like the look of the series doors but got tired of the window only sliding one way.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1691965511.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	599.1 KB
ID:	65424
67 NADA diesel tremec 4spd salisbury rear springs on front and a LOT MORE TO GO.

Old January 28th, 2013, 11:54 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
I have the RM door tops on mine, i really like them, not sure who painted them though as they came on the truck, but it was not a great paint job (very thin), it adds to the character i guess.

------ Follow up post added January 28th, 2013 11:57 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka rover View Post
I ended up going with a set of early D110 doors with roll up windows. I like the look of the series doors but got tired of the window only sliding one way.

Attachment 65424
How did you do the trim piece that makes it look like a series door? I have a set of early 90 pushbutton doors and i want to put a galvy trim piece on it but dont know how to achieve it.
Old January 29th, 2013, 12:16 AM
aka rover
ed angel
95 D90

Registry
These doors are the early 110 doors I believe 1983, they came with galvey trim from the factory as far as I have found. Been hard finding info about these doors but they blend in on the series pretty well.
67 NADA diesel tremec 4spd salisbury rear springs on front and a LOT MORE TO GO.

Old January 29th, 2013, 12:22 AM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by aka rover View Post
These doors are the early 110 doors I believe 1983, they came with galvey trim from the factory as far as I have found. Been hard finding info about these doors but they blend in on the series pretty well.
Hmm, atleast i know there is a real part to look for then!
Old January 29th, 2013, 07:30 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Yeah the early defender doors do look convincing (and the galvy strip is faux but real galvy/steel), but I'm all about the half doors. Only a few days away from finding out what my old frames will look like after galvy and I'll go from there.
Old January 29th, 2013, 11:15 AM
TeriAnn
Teriann Wakeman
1960 Dormobile

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Yeah the early defender doors do look convincing (and the galvy strip is faux but real galvy/steel), but I'm all about the half doors. Only a few days away from finding out what my old frames will look like after galvy and I'll go from there.
One piece doors are not just s Defender thing. There were some Canadian spec Series II Land Rovers that came from the factory with one piece doors. So to a limited extent it is also a Series thing.

Some door top related observations:

Aftermarket Series door top reproductions often do not have the correct inward slant. So the door tops stick out from the hard top and top of the windscreen. Makes for drafty wet driving. Also they seem to rust easier.

The Rocky Mountain door tops are great but have a method of locking which keeps them from opening as far as D90 door tops do. Some people find it hard to rest their elbow on the open door frame.

D90 door tops are expensive but the fit is very good in Series truck. And you get to rest your elbow on the door frame.

The rubber seal between the door top and bottom is good for keeping water from entering the inside of the door along the seam BUT ...where the seal goes past the mounting studs there is a slot that opens to the outside to allow drainage. The only problem is that the water goes down the studs into the the lower door instead. Result is rusted mounting studs & fixings, rust holes along the bottom of the doors and water damage on interior door panels. A ring of RTV around the mounting studs where they go into the lower door makes all the difference in the world.

Old January 29th, 2013, 11:27 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
If you go the RM route... I'll tag along and buy a set with you.

Old January 29th, 2013, 12:24 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
I happen to have a spare set of NAS D90 door tops so I always have that as a fallback. But what's this elbow difference you speak of? I find with the D90 door tops in that the channel isn't very comfortable to rest my elbow on, and in fact my elbow swelled up to the size of a baseball after a long trip doing so. Are you saying the RM ones don't open up as much on the back side?
Old January 29th, 2013, 01:59 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
... Are you saying the RM ones don't open up as much on the back side?
Correct, because of the window locks and the way the glass is cut, they don't open as wide.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old January 29th, 2013, 02:23 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Good to know, thanks.
Old January 29th, 2013, 02:39 PM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Question

While waiting for RN to manufacture lower doors as well
I have 3 sets of Series doors waiting to be refurbished.

I haven't found yet the "how to skin a Series door" for dummies.

Anybody with a proven, simple method or a good link with good photos explaining what to do and how?
+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]
Old January 29th, 2013, 03:08 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Bottoms or tops?

I will post some pictures when I get a chance and I haven't put the skins back on yet, but it really isn't very hard. I bought a tool that helps get started peeling the skin back but you could do it without the tool. You tape up the edges to avoid scratches, and carefully pry up the skin. If you do it in stages it goes quite well and you just have to bend it up enough to pull the skin off.

Oh you have to drill out a few rivets first, but it's obvious which.

The tops are a little harder because of the glass channels, but otherwise much the same.
Old January 29th, 2013, 03:23 PM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Bottom bottom well they're in good conditions given their age, but having 3 sets I'd like to try and totally rebuild/improve one to make it last forever well almost!
For the 109", I'd like to do the job once, and do it the best I can...like, having the inner chassis galvanized?

I guess I know what the special tool is, there was a set on the market, a small hammer, a dolly and and some sort of chisel to skin the door with...I think they're just common tools, the dolly would be useful tho.

Isn't the aluminum skin likely to crack when you bend it in and out of shape?
+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]
Old January 29th, 2013, 04:23 PM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Oh.
Annealing.

That black art which involves full moon, a bonfire and a dozen virgins before being mastered properly?

And a flame thrower?

Uhm...
+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Tags
door, rebuild, series, top