series bulkhead repair - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Old July 20th, 2010, 08:47 PM
orionpco
larry burns
1962 series 2a

series bulkhead repair

i recently had my bulkhead altered for my v8 project and also had a bulkhead repaired at the same shop.

both bulkheads turned out great, really nice welding. the bulkheads can be galvanized through his connections with a coatings company he regularly works with.

but to the point the owner of the shop took me aside and showed interest in rebuilding theses bulkheads for the public, since he was a land rover enthusiest like i was but more so in the range rover classic set of vehicles.

if anyones interesrted please pm me so i may take a print out to this guy. a person capable of repairing and galvanizing these bulkheads would be nice for all of us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 20th, 2010, 10:37 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I don't have a need right now but expect to one day in the future. I am sure there is demand for quality but affordable state side bulkhead repair.
Old July 21st, 2010, 06:51 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

There is a need. I have a "wait in line" of a least 5-6 bulkheads at all times. There are a couple of other people doing them (Ike Goss for one), but seems as if there is plenty demand. Tough racket though and by far one of the least profitable things I do especially if it is just the rebuild. You can be into it for $6-800 in just the repair parts before you even start. Quality and affordability? Quality should be a constant. I'd have to say that the affordability is largely a matter of opinion but that in general you get what you pay for if someone is honest about it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 21st, 2010, 08:48 AM
EricWS
Eric Siepmann
1966 Land Rover Series 2a SWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by orionpco View Post
i recently had my bulkhead altered for my v8 project and also had a bulkhead repaired at the same shop.

both bulkheads turned out great, really nice welding. the bulkheads can be galvanized through his connections with a coatings company he regularly works with.

but to the point the owner of the shop took me aside and showed interest in rebuilding theses bulkheads for the public, since he was a land rover enthusiest like i was but more so in the range rover classic set of vehicles.

if anyones interesrted please pm me so i may take a print out to this guy. a person capable of repairing and galvanizing these bulkheads would be nice for all of us.
There already is someone repairing bulkheads - Ike Goss at Pangolin4x4. He'll galv as well as has been around for quite some time.

Hands down the best out there. Period.
Old July 21st, 2010, 09:26 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I'm sure Ike does a great job (like I'm sure Matt does), but there are other factors like shipping costs, and competition is always good. So if for example this guy does good work, leverages the lower cost of living down south, and it would be cheaper to ship/take mine back and forth to him, then he might get my business (for example). I'm sure timeliness/availability is a factor for some too.

Anyway, I haven't seen any of their work, nor know the prices so I'm just playing devils advocate. All I know is one day I suspect I'll be repairing one of mine
Old July 21st, 2010, 10:26 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
C, we will both be doing 2A bulkheads soon.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old July 21st, 2010, 10:32 AM
orionpco
larry burns
1962 series 2a

hes right the reason i posted this is the location, if anyone on the lower east coast is repairing bulkheads sorry i didnt know about you. there is alot of guys who can do so much when it comes to these rover but none are close in distance. hell i thought it was extremely rare for me to be able to drop of a bulkhead get some good looking repairs and then have it galvanized. considering i havent seen a single series rover in my neck of the woods, i was floored to find some help within a reasonable drop off area.
Old July 21st, 2010, 10:45 AM
EricWS
Eric Siepmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
I'm sure Ike does a great job (like I'm sure Matt does), but there are other factors like shipping costs, and competition is always good. So if for example this guy does good work, leverages the lower cost of living down south, and it would be cheaper to ship/take mine back and forth to him, then he might get my business (for example). I'm sure timeliness/availability is a factor for some too.

Anyway, I haven't seen any of their work, nor know the prices so I'm just playing devils advocate. All I know is one day I suspect I'll be repairing one of mine
You really have to go through the process or similar. Plenty of places will repair a bulkhead. They all end up at the same price point and timeline. You also have to factor in the type of repair. I wanted mine as it left the factory. Ike was one of a very few that will actually restore a bulkhead to that level. www.pangolin4x4.com.

Convienence I can see. Timeliness, maybe. Shipping was dirt cheap from OR to IL with a seatbox and hood to boot.

It ain't cheap or quick to have it done right, that's for sure.
Old July 21st, 2010, 12:23 PM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

As I mentioned earlier, yes there is Ike. He does great work. I have repaired bulkhead fro some of his East Coast customers. No it's not cheap.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old July 21st, 2010, 02:27 PM
EricWS
Eric Siepmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyddog11 View Post
As I mentioned earlier, yes there is Ike. He does great work. I have repaired bulkhead fro some of his East Coast customers. No it's not cheap.
You ain't kidding. Especially after sending another check for paint to Ike this afternoon. It's the last thing you want to cheap out on...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Tags
series