series build update - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Old November 27th, 2010, 04:47 PM
1962siia88
Daniel Rogers
1962siia88

Registry
series build update

Hey all:

I haven't been posting too much about my series project lately as work has been keeping me busy. I have made some progress and will post a link to pics.

I have switched directions on my engine/trans and have decided to go with a gen III gm 5.3l (unless a deal on a 6.0 presents itself!) with an np435 with the stock series transfer case. I just got off the phone with Timm Cooper and he is going to be making another production run of his np435 to series t case adapter. I'm really looking forward to having a bullet proof setup!

I recently mounted the p38 steering box and built my steering column. Everything fits just right and I'm happy with how it came out. I'll post more as I make progress.

Daniel

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/n...3DP1010075.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 27th, 2010, 04:57 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

Look at that! nice work. Was it a big pain to get the brake MC to clear the hood?

Sounds like you are on a good path. That was a lot of work to get the series tranny to mate and it may have exploded at any moment. I bet you will appreciate the extra power also.
Old November 27th, 2010, 05:03 PM
1962siia88
Daniel Rogers
1962siia88

Registry
No the mc was really easy and it worked/fit on my first attempt. Of course I had access to the one on the Catahoula 109 that Timm just built, so I was pretty confident I could do it.

Daniel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 8th, 2010, 02:29 PM
outfield
Steve
1995 D-90 SW #351

Registry
What are you using for front springs?
Old December 8th, 2010, 03:20 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
What are the locking hubs for? You do not need them on a Series.

I am going to try to mate the NP435 to an R380. I think I have it figured out.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old December 8th, 2010, 07:19 PM
1962siia88
Daniel Rogers
1962siia88

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by outfield View Post
What are you using for front springs?

I'm using 88" rear springs in the front. I had to lengthen the frame horns and move the front spring frame bushing back. Standard Timm Cooper and others style spring over.

Daniel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010049.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	33863  
Old December 8th, 2010, 07:34 PM
1962siia88
Daniel Rogers
1962siia88

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
What are the locking hubs for? You do not need them on a Series.

I am going to try to mate the NP435 to an R380. I think I have it figured out.
You are correct that I dont need them but I had them on my series before and will have them on there with the spring over too. There are different schools of though on the effectiveness of fwh's. Some claim less wear and tear, some claim better mileage, some claim they are bad for the front axle, etc,etc.

With the spring over my front drive shaft will have some fairly extreme angles. Timm Cooper is going to build both my front and rear drive shafts. The front will be made out of a disco 1 front drive shaft modified to allow greater travel and it will have stonger u joints that will allow steeper angles. Not sure exactly what he is going to do, but I do know that I only want that drive shaft spinning when I need it and not all the time. That's why I'm going with the hubs.

I found my chevy granny version of the np435. Its shipping from Arizona today and I bought my 2003 lm7 engine (5.3l) and get to pick it up tomorrow! Now I need to wait for the machine shop to make the new adapter. Not sure how long that will take but Timm is dealing with them this week, so hopefully not too long. If anyone else is interested in getting one of these adapters now is the time to ask. Timm is only making as many as are pre ordered. PM me if seriously interested and I'll pass along your contact info to Timm Cooper or contact him directly if you have his contact info. (the adapter is to mate the NP435 to the stock series transfer case)

Daniel
Old December 8th, 2010, 08:01 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
This is very cool. Please keep posting! I wish I had this kind of talent.
Old December 8th, 2010, 08:43 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
I'm using a ford NP 435. It has a really long output shaft which will be easy to machine for the R380 adapter/input shaft ( I have the fully splined one). That leaves just a simple adapter plate to fab between the NP 435 and the R380.
I'm going with Ford power.

1968 2A 88

Old December 9th, 2010, 09:03 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Very interesting. Just so I understand it, you are going SOA and using rear springs on the front? I assume this lengthens the wheelbase? I'm curious by how much and how this affects the fit of the wheels in the wheel well. I know you are gaining a few inches of lift from the SOA - 6 maybe? - but doesn't the wheel position still matter?

And on the driveline, I don't know crap about these other engine and tranny's. How does the overall length come out, and position of shifter knobs etc. Just wondering how many tunnel or bulkhead changes you'll need to make.
Old December 9th, 2010, 10:16 AM
1962siia88
Daniel Rogers
1962siia88

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Very interesting. Just so I understand it, you are going SOA and using rear springs on the front? I assume this lengthens the wheelbase? I'm curious by how much and how this affects the fit of the wheels in the wheel well. I know you are gaining a few inches of lift from the SOA - 6 maybe? - but doesn't the wheel position still matter?

And on the driveline, I don't know crap about these other engine and tranny's. How does the overall length come out, and position of shifter knobs etc. Just wondering how many tunnel or bulkhead changes you'll need to make.

The wheel base will stay the same. I lengthened the frame horns up front and made new frame bushing sleeves for the rear of the spring that are farther back than stock. This accomodates the longer spring and keeps the axle in the stock location. The spring perches I used on my axles have multiple holes for the center spring bolt, so I am actually moving my axles back 1" both front and back.

There will definately be some changes to the tunnel and bulkhead. The passenger footwell needs to be smaller to fit the v8. I drilled out spot welds and removed the left hand side (verticle piece) of the passenger footwell. I then cut out 2.75" of the footwell, following its standard shape. So far I've got the verticle piece clamped back on but haven't welded yet as I want to get my tranny and tcase together and mounted to see how much I need to change the tunnel and the center verticle panel of the bulkhead.

As far as the lift it looks like I got 4.5" both front and back, plus I went from 235/85/16 to 35/12.5/15. I'll try to get some pics of the wheels in the wheel wells. The back looks perfect, the front is good enough, but if I hadn't moved the axles back both would have looked off.

Novak has good info about the engine and tranny I'm using if you are interested. Should be a pretty bullet proof set up. The last thing I'm thinking of doing is selling my two fairey overdrives and buying a santana overdrive. It will give this thing some legs on the freeway and Timm is running one behind his 6.0l lq9, muncie gearbox, series transfer case setup with no problems.

This has been a giant learning process for me. Its my first time doing any kind of major modification to a vehicle. Timm Cooper has been helping me through this both in person and over the phone so I'm confident that its going to work and be a great rig for me.

I'll keep posting updates as I can. Thanks.

Daniel
Old December 9th, 2010, 10:45 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Thanks for the explanation. Sounds awesome and looking forward to seeing the progress
Old December 9th, 2010, 10:52 AM
phoenix37
john

Registry
Charles if you search Timm Cooper on here you will see several examples of trucks where he has done SOA with rear springs in the front. This is one example.

He does amazing stuff and happens to be a very nice guy that is also generous with his time. He once walked me thru the entire process of adding power steering to my series step by step and part by part over the phone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flex.jpg
Views:	636
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	33866  
Old December 9th, 2010, 10:56 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Yes I have heard of him, and seen some of his work first hand. Matt Moran's truck was originally done by Timm, although he has taken it further.
Old December 9th, 2010, 10:57 AM
phoenix37
john

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Yes I have heard of him, and seen some of his work first hand. Matt Moran's truck was originally done by Timm, although he has taken it further.
Any pics?
Old December 9th, 2010, 11:05 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Quote:
http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/n...3DP1010075.jpg

I am lost. What are all the engine adapters supposed to be doing? Why not a regular old GM bellhousing ? If you have a GM pattern NP435 it should be a straight bolt up, no?
I would not use a Series TC, but that's just me.

1968 2A 88

Old December 9th, 2010, 11:15 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Quote:
If he uses the Series TC it should come out just about the same as far as position goes, but the original tunnel and other tins will have to be completely redone. The engine and the transmission in particular are larger and won't fit under the Rover sheet metal.

I did my first V8 conversion using aluminum Treadbrite. I had to cut the seat box for the Dana TC. I think the future version will have Morse type cables actuating the TC. That way, I can put the controls anywhere and not have to f**k up my seat box. I am also gonna swap in an R380.

1968 2A 88

Old December 9th, 2010, 11:23 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
http://gallery.lhsw.com/view_photo.p...09&id=IMG_0448
http://gallery.lhsw.com/view_photo.p...ed&id=DSC_0251

more in that album
Old December 9th, 2010, 11:36 AM
1962siia88
Daniel Rogers
1962siia88

Registry
Quote:

I am lost. What are all the engine adapters supposed to be doing? Why not a regular old GM bellhousing ? If you have a GM pattern NP435 it should be a straight bolt up, no?
I would not use a Series TC, but that's just me.
I am using a chevy bellhousing and 11" clutch. The only adapter will be between the tcase and np435. I was originally trying to go with an atlas/gm 5 cyl engine and the stock series gearbox and tcase. I was making an adapter for that but got greedy for horsepower and technical support and switched to the v8.

Daniel
Old December 9th, 2010, 11:56 AM
UnfrozenCaveman
Keith Armstrong
Various

Quote:
I think the future version will have Morse type cables actuating the TC. That way, I can put the controls anywhere and not have to f**k up my seat box. I am also gonna swap in an R380.
Aha! So that's what those are called...the push/pull cables, right?

The last time I was at Pendy's place we finished adapting a D2 transfer case cable & lever to work the diff lock on the LT95.

We've done a similar "revision" of the front springs / mount per Timm's advice too. Though mine's not a spring over.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Tags
series