series build update - Page 7 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Old May 11th, 2011, 11:37 AM
1962siia88
Daniel Rogers
1962siia88

Registry
Painless harness is about $700. Sounds like a set of gbr front axles.

So you should go to Richmond pick and pull. They have a p38 rangie there with your power steering set up on it!

Yes my fingers are sore from messing through all the wires but now I know what everything is and I'm confident I will be able to make it work. It will clean up nicely an get wrapped in shiny new plastic too. I should show you before and after pics of the brat's wiring. I've got a pic somewhere of a giant rats nest hanging out the side of the engine compartment.

As far as the swivels go I'm still nervous. The coiler swivel seems wimpy compared to the series swivel. I'm going to go with what I have for now but I'm not super happy. This part has definitely been the most worrisome part of the build.

D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 11th, 2011, 01:18 PM
60dzl
Gus
1960 88 dzl

MMMM spaghetti!

The second version of the knuckles look way better, I like those.

Just curious, what is Timm's opinion of welding to the knuckle, I know he has done some crazy stuff before.
Old May 11th, 2011, 01:43 PM
1962siia88
Daniel Rogers
1962siia88

Registry
I dont really want to speak for Timm but I would say his opinion is that the coil swivels are much weaker than the series swivel. Regarding what I'm doing I would say his opinion is over build and spread the load and hope it doesn't brake and be prepared if it happens. At this point I'll have plenty of surface space to bolt the arm to, and lots of welds to hopefully keep it all together. Timm hasn't seen version 1.1 yet but I will certainly run it by him at some point soon. I need to return the wiring harness to him so I'll probably show him the swivel this weekend.

I hate going up there because he always has some thing I see he is doing on his current build that I then add to my project. He has been super generous with his time and knowledge. My project definitely wouldn't have happened with out his help.

Anyway, I feel like I got myself out of a rut over the last few days and am moving forward again.

D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 11th, 2011, 03:37 PM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1962siia88 View Post
I hate going up there because he always has some thing I see he is doing on his current build that I then add to my project.
Might I ask you a favor then?
Next time could you take - if Timm allows - a photo of his workshop showing what's going on?

Always loved his builds although the scarce informations on the www.
+109" IIA ex-military

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sketches and doodles:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[O]===[O]
Old May 11th, 2011, 04:46 PM
1962siia88
Daniel Rogers
1962siia88

Registry
He's building a s3 88" station wagon. Its getting a spring over, 6.0 vortec with automatic and one of his new transfercases. Lots of other bling as well. Hey Brian if you are reading this feel free to hijack and tell us about Gonzo!
Old May 11th, 2011, 04:58 PM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Yeah, whatever
+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]
Old May 11th, 2011, 06:05 PM
shoefnik
Brian Horner
SIII 6.0L Vortec/4L65-E/Automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Do you think you friend will notice if you give him back the 'painful' harness?

-Jeff

Hey Jeff - I will now!!!!

------ Follow up post added May 11th, 2011 03:22 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1962siia88 View Post
Hey Brian if you are reading this feel free to hijack and tell us about Gonzo!
Sure - here's a brief overview. It's a 6.0 Vortec, automatic trans, sprung over with extended frame horns running rear 88" springs in the front. Modified Salisbury front and a Eaton rear - 35 spline end-to-end. Initally it'll be loaded with 35's on widended 8" Kelsey Hayes Series one wheels. There's been some body modifications but the idea is for it to appear stock but with some attitude. There's lots of other little details - too many to list. Apparently I now am the proud owner of a "Painful Wiring Harness" - manufactured in micro batches right here in Northern California! Need to figure out the cage, bumpers and slider designs next. Timm is doing all the work on this project - I'm just a back seat designer. Daniel - I really have so much respect for you that you are doing this yourself - I wish i had the confidence/time/space to do that as well. I'm eagerly looking forward to hitting the trails with you soon.

Brian
Old May 11th, 2011, 08:17 PM
James Pierce
James Pierce Jr.
1995 D90 SW #314, 59 SII 88 HT

High Steer

Hey Daniel, On my 94 I did a high steer set up using a LH swivel housing from a euro spec 90. This housing has the arm on the front of the knuckle for the drag link since the steering box is on the RH side of the truck. I tapered the arms to accept a 1 ton GM steering joint as well. Wish I had taken better pic's when it was finished. If Michael is around he might be able to take some.

Cheers,
James
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0287.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	38622   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0289.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	38623  

Old May 11th, 2011, 08:29 PM
1962siia88
Daniel Rogers
1962siia88

Registry
Nice setup! Did you just drill another hole for the track rod on the front arm on the right side? This set up would still have the the steering below the springs on mine and my goal is to have them above the springs. If you have more pics please post them. Thanks.

Daniel

------ Follow up post added May 11th, 2011 05:33 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoefnik View Post
Daniel - I really have so much respect for you that you are doing this yourself - I wish i had the confidence/time/space to do that as well. I'm eagerly looking forward to hitting the trails with you soon.

Brian
Thanks Brian! I'm looking forward to another trip to Death Valley! We will have to plan something for later this summer. Looks like you will be up and running before me, but hopefully I wont be too far behind.

D
Old May 11th, 2011, 08:39 PM
James Pierce
James Pierce Jr.
1995 D90 SW #314, 59 SII 88 HT

Actually on a 1 ton chevy ball joint they have a hole in the tie rod end to accept the drag link. I don't have a good picture of it but this similar to the kit I used.

http://www.pscmotorsports.com/motors...-link-kit.html
Old May 11th, 2011, 08:47 PM
1962siia88
Daniel Rogers
1962siia88

Registry
Ah I see. Nice. Thanks for the info.

D
Old May 20th, 2011, 09:44 AM
1962siia88
Daniel Rogers
1962siia88

Registry
Hey all:

I got my transmission, t case, and overdrive assembly back yesterday! My flywheel and clutch are here too. This means that I can start mocking everything up to ensure my clutch stuff works properly. Once it does I'll post up all the part numbers I used incase anyone else does something similar in the future. The bellhousing I bought doesn't want to go on to the engine, so I'm going to have to find another one. It is a chevy 3925505 cast iron bellhousing which is the correct one, with no signs of damage, but the centering dowels on the engine just wont go in to the holes on the bell. They are off by just a tiny bit. I assume the bellhousing is just slightly bent. Super frustrating! Oh well, I'm getting closer. I will be using an fj40 slave cylinder with a chevy cast iron clutch release fork. I bought the adapter that Advanced Adapters sells. I have this in hand too, so once the new bellhousing gets here I'm in business. I hope to have the driveline installed in the next month or so!

I ordered a set of Rovertracks.com longtrack extreme front axles! They should be here in the next day or so and they are the last piece I needed to buy for the front axle. I'm looking forward to this thing being able to roll again.

My fuel system has also been sorted out. Timm C is about to make a gas tank for Brian's rig, so I'm going to have him make me one at the same time. It will be an 18 gallon (approx) tank that will use the same rear mounting as the stock tank, the front will attach to the bulkhead outrigger. I will need to remove the outrigger that the front of the stock tank attached to. This tank will use the stock series sending unit and allow me to have a proper fuel pump in the tank, plus the extra fuel capacity. Hopefully I'll have this in the next few weeks too.

Here's a pic of the trans/tcase/od.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010022.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	38888  
Old May 20th, 2011, 11:40 AM
TeriAnn
Teriann Wakeman
1960 Dormobile

Registry
Gee Daniel, between you and Brian, my truck is feeling very low powered and very low tech. You guys are going to end up with amazing high tech very capable trail rigs.

I just have to remind myself that my truck is a long distance class B RV with no pretensions of being a gonzo rock crawler. Otherwise I would be very jealous of your rigs.

You guys are going to have to get together and make a trip out to the real world (AKA four corners area) so I can take a look at your trucks in action.

I'm happy that the NP435 seems to be working out for you. Take care.

Old May 20th, 2011, 07:35 PM
1962siia88
Daniel Rogers
1962siia88

Registry
Woohoo axles came today! Thanks Keith at Rovertracks for the quick shipping and quality product! Also got the front axle housing painted and this time I'm happy. In the end I went with duplicolor wheel paint. Cheap easily touched up later as needed and yes I cheesed out and went with the silver metal flake color that matches the shocks. I couldn't resist and if you couldn't tell by the blue color of my rig I dont care that much about factory color schemes! Flame on people!

This paint calls for 7 days to fully cure so in that time I hope to finish the swivel housing mods, make the actual steering arms and rebuild/ assemble my brake calipers. For the brakes I'm using disco calipers with the spacer from the rangie to fit the vented front rotors. I will then get this axle all assembled with the free wheel hubs and put it on the truck.

I still have to make my spring retaining plates that the ubolts go through, but they will just be 1/4" plate with a piece of 2"x4" tubing welded to the top as a spacer to keep me from bashing my steering linkage into the frame.

D
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010023.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	38903   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010024.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	38904  

Old June 23rd, 2011, 05:13 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60dzl View Post
I like the idea. Did you preheat the cast first? Welding to cast seems to be a black art.
I believe most knuckles are forged, even the ones on cheap little hondas and toyotas

Maybe US cars are different!
Old July 18th, 2011, 12:20 AM
1962siia88
Daniel Rogers
1962siia88

Registry
Well I finally got back to the series build today. THE ENGINE IS IN!!!! This is a huge motivational hurdle for me, so I'm really happy. My geometry on the engine mounts was accurate so they landed right on top of the bushings and the engine is sitting right where I wanted it!

I had dinner this week with d90user and 16kpsi (steve and tony) plus another rover friend not on this forum. It got me motivated so thanks guys. I needed a little shove!

Hopefully I'll get the trans/tcase in this week if time permits.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010093.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	40415   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010095.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	40416  

Name:	P1010096.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	169.4 KB
ID:	40417   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010098.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	40418  

Old July 18th, 2011, 05:38 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

Nice work Daniel!
Old July 18th, 2011, 07:14 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Keep it up Daniel! Looking good.
Old July 19th, 2011, 11:17 AM
60dzl
Gus
1960 88 dzl

Looks Great!
Old July 20th, 2011, 04:27 PM
1962siia88
Daniel Rogers
1962siia88

Registry
Thanks all for the positive reinforcement! So I got the transmission in too! Next up will be to build tcase mount brackets that bolt on similar to the stock ones. My tcase is clocked a bit to help the front driveshaft clear the transmission, so the stock ones wont work, plus I'm pretty sure my transfer case is back by a small amount too.

I'll also be able to figure out where to put my transmission cross member. I've got one from a rrc. Hopefully more progress to report soon.

Daniel
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010102.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	40487  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Tags
series