series build update - Page 4 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Old February 13th, 2011, 05:35 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
You better stop listening to Timm or your going to end up with a truck that can do stuff like this
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Timmcrush.JPG
Views:	252
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	35752  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 13th, 2011, 05:44 PM
1962siia88
Daniel Rogers
1962siia88

Registry
Nice shot! Haven't seen that one before. You can tell from this picture how far back his shock is too. I dont have that same hoodlum driver thing going on that Timm has cultivated! Thanks.

Daniel
Old February 13th, 2011, 09:00 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1962siia88 View Post
I'm not sure about that. As per usual I'm just following direction from Timm. Hopefully I'll get to drive it someday and I'll let you know! The bottom of the shock is about 4" behind the axle. The stock series has the shock about 3" behind the axle.

Daniel
Yeah, but it's not booger welded to the axle housing. Also curious why no parabolics and military shackles....afraid to go all the way?

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 13th, 2011, 09:02 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Yeah I don't claim to know anything about suspensions, I just know basic physics tells me that will produce a rotational force (torque) and given both sides will be on the rear of the axle wrap. Maybe your springs are super stiff, but it just doesn't sit well with me. I assume leaf spring trucks have the shocks on opposite side to counteract each other (although really guessing).

Any reason not to angle the shock slightly and half the length of the arm for example? Again, don't know what I am talking about so the answer might be obvious, but just curious.
Old February 13th, 2011, 09:04 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1962siia88 View Post
The bottom of the shock is about 4" behind the axle. The stock series has the shock about 3" behind the axle.
Sorry should have read your reply closer. Only one inch more doesn't sound bad, but sure looks like a lot. I"ll have to go look at my series in the morning as I never noticed it being too far out.
Old February 13th, 2011, 09:47 PM
1962siia88
Daniel Rogers
1962siia88

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
Yeah, but it's not booger welded to the axle housing. Also curious why no parabolics and military shackles....afraid to go all the way?
Bill you have some classic quotes on here. I am actually afraid to go all the way. You found me out.

I may end up using longer shackles at some point but from others' experience the stock springs give a firmer ride than the parabolics and obviously from the pic above articulation isn't a problem with stock springs. I had parabolics on this truck before this project and considered using them but Timm convinced me otherwise. Plus I was able to sell them to help fund this thing. How is your project coming along?

Daniel
Old February 14th, 2011, 12:25 PM
1962siia88
Daniel Rogers
1962siia88

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Sorry should have read your reply closer. Only one inch more doesn't sound bad, but sure looks like a lot. I"ll have to go look at my series in the morning as I never noticed it being too far out.
Charles if you look at the picture of my shock set up closely you can see the stock series ubolt/spring plate with the shock mount. Its hiding right behind my shock and is partially visible in the picture. Of course its on upside down but that doesnt change the distance from the back of the axle to the lower shock mount.

The other thing is that if it doesnt work properly I'll change it. Fear of getting things wrong has seriously slowed this project down, plus I dont want to bug Timm for free advice every other day. I'm really hoping to be driving this thing by late April for the mendo trip (annual rover camping trip with many series trucks) but that seems less likely as time goes forward. Hopefully by summer I'll be done.

Daniel
Old February 14th, 2011, 12:36 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Well, don't wanna second guess your thinking, BUT...
If you left the old spring perch where it was and welded a second spring perch on top, ya coulda used the old shock mount plate on the bottom and fabbed a new plate on top. Use (grade 8) bolts instead of ubolts. Spring and axle samwich, with chips and a pickle.

Don't bug Timm, use the Force!

PS that front diff looks awfully cranked. Hope you have some caster corrected swivel balls to go on there.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old February 14th, 2011, 01:46 PM
1962siia88
Daniel Rogers
1962siia88

Registry
The problem with doing the shocks like that is the power steering is in the way on the drivers side. This is why the ford mount is used to bump the shock outward and clear the power steering linkage. I could have done it that way with a shorter shock that would limited my travel.

As far as the caster goes, Timm actually came over and did all this part for me so I'm sure its going to be acceptable. I dont remember the actual degrees anymore and didn't take any notes but it wasn't eyeballed and was not clocked too much at all iirc.

Thamks.

Daniel
Old February 14th, 2011, 02:19 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
it may look funny but I don't see how having the shock that for off the axle is really going to cause spring wrap. I highly doubt the shock valving is stiff enough to affect a spring pack that thick. The pinion angle looks about stock for a coiler axle.
Old February 14th, 2011, 02:26 PM
oilburner
JL
large pile of parts

One of the biggest issues with a spring over is trying to control axle wrap. By stepping out the shocks like that, you have a great reduction in axle wrap and the overall effect on handling is pretty low as the shocks on a leaf sprung rig are not as important as a coiler, lots of interleaf friction to help with damping. I find it looks cleaner than having a great big antiwrap bar.

The front axle looks to be built right, no need for goofy swivel balls.

You're on the right track!!

If you talk to Timm tell him JL from way up north says hi, have not talked to the wildman in a few years
Diesel-swapped 1994 80 series Land-cruiser
And a difflocked 4wd turbodiesel Lambo
Old February 15th, 2011, 08:48 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Yeah let me re-iterate I don't claim to know anything about this stuff. Certainly don't let my (or anyone else's) comments derail you. Maybe one day one of our comments will be useful in some way, but if not, consider us entertainment.
Old February 15th, 2011, 10:16 AM
1962siia88
Daniel Rogers
1962siia88

Registry
I love the comments. Keep'em coming! I'm my own worst enemy on this project between my lack of knowledge and skill. Work is the other nagging issue. Ive got two small companies and I really need to get my year end stuff off to my acct! It's hard to reconcile bank statements when all you can think of is rover related.

Hoping today to get the front axle on my bench to weld up the other side and start finalizing my
steering arms. While it's out i will paint it, run the brake lines and install the front diff.

For those who have asked about Timm I did actually speak with him yesterday and passed along your messages and hellos.

Daniel
Old February 16th, 2011, 06:06 AM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
HA! I was there that day. I have a couple of those pics. I should go dig them out. ..

-Jeff
Please do!!!!
+109" IIA ex-military

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sketches and doodles:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[O]===[O]
Old February 17th, 2011, 06:10 PM
oilburner
JL
large pile of parts

For those that are concerned about the height, those springs will settle super quick. As soon as you start bending a rover spring backwards on itself like you can with a spring over, it loses a lot of height. You you cna get a spring over down to almost the same height as a 109 1 tonne. Most of the time people run larger tires which raises the vehicle too. Dan make sure you think about the way the axle will be positioned when the springs sag with your shock positioning - Looks like you are getting it on. I am sitting on a Gen IV 6.2 from an Escalade, trying to figure out whether I want to go diesel or gas on the next truck. All these GM swaps are making it difficult to decide.
Diesel-swapped 1994 80 series Land-cruiser
And a difflocked 4wd turbodiesel Lambo
Old February 17th, 2011, 06:14 PM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilburner View Post
I am sitting on a Gen IV 6.2 from an Escalade, trying to figure out whether I want to go diesel or gas on the next truck. All these GM swaps are making it difficult to decide.
You pick engines like apples!

[OT]
I might make it to Canada this summer, after the National Rally, let's keep in touch!
[/OT]
+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]
Old February 18th, 2011, 10:41 AM
1962siia88
Daniel Rogers
1962siia88

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilburner View Post
For those that are concerned about the height, those springs will settle super quick. As soon as you start bending a rover spring backwards on itself like you can with a spring over, it loses a lot of height. You you cna get a spring over down to almost the same height as a 109 1 tonne. Most of the time people run larger tires which raises the vehicle too. Dan make sure you think about the way the axle will be positioned when the springs sag with your shock positioning - Looks like you are getting it on. I am sitting on a Gen IV 6.2 from an Escalade, trying to figure out whether I want to go diesel or gas on the next truck. All these GM swaps are making it difficult to decide.
Thanks for the advice. Hopefully I'm in the right spot. The next move is to begin installing the engine trans and tcase so I'll get some weight over those springs and make changes if necessary. That 6.2 is an aluminum block isn't it? I'm considering that for my next project too. It's either that or an lq9 which I believe your motor replaced. I keep finding little bits for the next project but I have to remind myself that it's one at a time or I'll never finish.

So the front axle is on the bench. Hopefully I'll get it cleaned up and weld the other shock mount to it this weekend. While it's out I will also clean up the chassis in the engine compartment and get my frame side engine mounts welded on. They are done and ready to go and their location is all figured out too. Hopefully it won't rain too much this weeked.

Daniel
Old February 26th, 2011, 07:44 PM
1962siia88
Daniel Rogers
1962siia88

Registry
Hey all:

I made a bit more progress today. I was able to get the new engine mounts welded to the frame and got the drivers side upper shock mount welded on too.

Here are some pics

Started grinding the paint off the axle too, but have a bit more work to do there before I paint it. Plus I think its too cold to paint it right now anyway. Hopefully it will warm up some soon and I can paint the front half of the chassis again too.

Daniel
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010171.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	36168   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010167.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	36169  

Name:	P1010169.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	36170  
Old February 26th, 2011, 07:56 PM
1962siia88
Daniel Rogers
1962siia88

Registry
Here is how the axle looks so far. I redid my lower shock mount that I posted up before. This is some square tubing with the top part of a ford upper shock mount welded to it. I'm much happier with the appearance of this one. Plus its not crooked!

Daniel
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010172.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	213.8 KB
ID:	36172   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010173.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	210.1 KB
ID:	36173  

Name:	P1010174.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	36174  
Old February 26th, 2011, 08:22 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Looking good!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Tags
series