Series bonnet repair - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Old June 28th, 2014, 09:00 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Series bonnet repair

I need some advice about fixing the frame pieces that are underneath the bonnet. The one in the very front I would like to replace. Haven't been able to find any information on these pieces.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0824.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	97765  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 29th, 2014, 01:00 AM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

Blast it and patch it?
Old June 29th, 2014, 01:15 AM
javelinadave
-
-

From the photo it looks like it's rusted thru in a few places. Blasting it my be worse than leaving it alone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 29th, 2014, 02:13 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

A better hood may be cheaper/easier than fixing. I have never seen repair parts for hood sold separately. You can drill out all the rivets and remove the steel frame from the aluminium skin and then presumable patch the steel frame and then galvanize or paint the frame and reinstall the skin.
Old June 29th, 2014, 02:32 AM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

Was working off the assumption that he would remove it to blast it properly and patch any sections that needed replacing. Then reassemble it.
Old June 29th, 2014, 11:24 AM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Right fellas. I have thought all those things. I am going to take all the pieces off to blast and galvanize but the metal on that front one is rusted through in places and the rest is thin. I know that if I blast it there will be a lot of patching so I was hoping to find a replacement piece but have had no luck finding any of those particular pieces - other than buying a different bonnet and stripping them off of that. I'll just go on and remove and blast - see what I got and go from there. Was reaching out in the hopes that you guys knew of a replacement piece that I had not yet discovered.

Thank you for the help
Old June 29th, 2014, 11:29 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
No Luck? Try calling Ike at Pangolin. He has literally piles of bonnets. I'm sure that one can be yours for less than it would cost you in time/labor/materials to refurbish that one. Just tell him you need a bonnet frame and don't care about the outside if you want to reuse your old skin.
If you are going to the effort to remove the frame i'd say galvanize.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old June 29th, 2014, 12:03 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Good day. I'm the type of person who saves the wire off of hay bails to secure fencing - so of course if there is anyway to fix this rovers original bonnet I'm going to try that first. I don't throw stuff out unless there is no way to reuse. If that makes sense? Thanks for telling me about Ike - I'll keep him in mind. I'll be galvanizing everything - rust is evil. I'm going to do my best to not let that happen again for this rover. I'll put out a feeler later on just in case anyone has anything they want galvanized around here - get it on my trailer and go.
Old June 29th, 2014, 12:10 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

I'd get another hood, then fix take my time to fix the one I have.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old June 29th, 2014, 01:08 PM
Ignotus
gene
1960 109, w/200TDI

Hi Carmen,

As others have said it is fix or replace the whole frame/bonnet. I've done a couple of them by removing the frame and galvanizing. The tricky part is bending the skin at the hinge end. I found that I didn't have to bend it too far if I also bent the hinge end side corners up some. Once you can get one corner out the rest will come. The skin won't take much bending back and forth before it breaks.
When you put it back drill out the holes before you reinstall. Make note of what sizes when you remove. Also some are pop rivets (underside) the rest are hammer rivets so you will need an air hammer and the right fitting tool for the rivet head. I forget which but it's out there.

HTH
Old June 29th, 2014, 01:38 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Thank you for the play by play. I appreciate it and I'll be careful. A friend is bringing over his blasting rig today and leaving it with me. I have a few days off next week, so I'm going to get everything cleaned up. Dave is always busy and I know the wait to get into his shop is normally 7 months and he's being very generous to me with his time - so I'm going to be prepping everything as much as possible here at the house.

Also, there are Rocky Mountain parabolics on her already but do you have any suggestions on replacement bushings? Should I consider different shackles? I will eventually replace the parabolics but for now these look okay.
Old June 29th, 2014, 03:52 PM
Greg S
Greg Sutfin
1986 90

Need new bushings for the Rocky Para's? Call Rocky Mountain and buy them! What would you replace the springs with? They're already the best other than coils.
Old June 29th, 2014, 06:04 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg S View Post
Need new bushings for the Rocky Para's? Call Rocky Mountain and buy them! What would you replace the springs with? They're already the best other than coils.
Pictures of the springs. Two leaf in front and rear - don't know when they were put on. What are your thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0833.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	97798   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0834.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	97799  

Name:	IMAG0836.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	97800  
Old June 29th, 2014, 09:44 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Got a spring shop anywhere nearby? They can refresh them for you.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old June 29th, 2014, 10:08 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Yes, there are a few. Refresh meaning rearching? ...or take apart, clean, paint and reassemble?
So you think these look okay for now?

Ever tried electrolysis?
Old June 30th, 2014, 02:17 PM
Ignotus
gene
1960 109, w/200TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbfritz_03 View Post
Ever tried electrolysis?
Are you saying Bill has too much hair?

Springs look OK to me. Unless the arch has gone flat(?). How's the ride? You could wire brush and paint them. RM has gone to poly spring bushings lately. Polybush part #1CN, enough for 2 front rear spring bushings. Call Jeremy at RM he can set you up, nice guy.
Old June 30th, 2014, 06:40 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Hahaaha! Thanks for the laugh!! Sorry for my delayed response, was working. You are a nut Gene Electrolysis is one service that my body will never need - but I was thinking to use it on some of the pieces before taking them to get galvanized. Maybe save myself some elbow grease. I am working a lot these days. Up for a promotion and potential office change. My boss is fond of me but I don't think "Hey..mind if I take the week off to work on my Rover?" As a matter of fact I just found out today that my 'few days off this week' are gone...ugh rover with drawl. I'm thinking I could leave things soak while I'm away for the day and clean them off when I got home. I'm going to clean these up really well and drive them around, if I don't like them I'll pass them on. Thanks for the info on Jeremy..I'll give him a call. Have a good one

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Tags
series