Series 3 slipping clutch - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Old June 11th, 2014, 06:42 PM
Mottom
Todd
1974 Series III 88"

Series 3 slipping clutch

Moved cross-country last year. Had a bad experience with the moving company. They played with my Land Rover Series III 88" and messed up the clutch. Being new to the area and not having my shop set up, I hired a local company to replace the clutch.

I provided them with a new pressure plate, clutch plate, throw-out bearing, staple, and bushing. They also replaced my slave cylinder, tranny mounts, and engine mounts. I have driven the vehicle less than 200 miles (all on-road) since the change out.

Last week O2batsea was nice enough to help me with a starting problem (a true gentleman!). That evening I took the Landy for a drive to put some juice back in my battery (from all my cranking during the starting issue). As the vehicle warmed up, the clutch started to slip more and more - to the point I was doing max safe revs and only moving at about 15 mph. I let the vehicle cool down and checked for leaks. I do not have the wading plug installed and there was no fluid leaking there. I found no other leaks of clutch fluid under the truck and my reservoir was full. Oddly, the fluid had turned a cloudy gray.

I need to get a new tranny jack to crack the tranny and check the condition of all the surfaces, but wondered if anyone else had any suggestions before I do that. I searched other threads here and saw that someone mentioned that the flexible line between the master and slave cylinder may be rotting and causing the gray fluid. Could that be causing slip????

I plan on getting a jack on Friday and playing with the vehicle this weekend. If I find that my flywheel is uneven, does anyone know where I might get it re-surfaced in Northern VA - before I install another friction plate?

Thanks. Mottom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 7th, 2014, 04:14 PM
Mottom
Todd
1974 Series III 88"

Alright,

Work has kept me from getting to do too much.

Spoke with other members at the NOVA Kilroy's monthly get-together. One person questioned whether the parts were the correct ones for my gearbox, since the garage that changed the clutch told me that the plate I provided them was bigger than the one they removed (I'm assuming that I gave them a 9.5" plate).

I went home and took out the floors and checked the engine and gearbox numbers. The gearbox number was a 9015827A, which seems to be a series 3 box. Any one have any suggestions? I want to order a new clutch disc and pressure plate, but want to make sure that I'm doing the right thing.

I could really use some advice. Thanks.
Old August 7th, 2014, 04:42 PM
350rangerover

can you possibly take a picture of the old pressure plate and clutch and the new one

if the clutch was installed backwards it could cause it to engage and slip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 7th, 2014, 06:30 PM
Mottom
Todd
1974 Series III 88"

Unfortunately, I don't have the old clutch pressure plate and disc.

I will check the clutch disk this weekend to see if it is on backwards. I hadn't thought a garage would do that, but you're right that I have to check everything to find the culprit.

Thanks.

Mottom.
Old August 7th, 2014, 08:37 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Make sure your clutch master cylinder is properly adjusted or if your hydraulic hose was not replaced, it could be collapsed internally and holding pressure on the slave cylinder.

In both cases a warm engine = a slipping clutch.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old August 7th, 2014, 09:04 PM
Mottom
Todd
1974 Series III 88"

My flexible hose does look old and I do now have some silver cloudiness to the new clutch fluid that I put in. I'll replace my flex line as part of my overhaul. Thanks for the advice.

Mottom

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Tags
clutch, series