Series 3 roof leak. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Old September 29th, 2015, 11:38 AM
seanman
Sean McLaughlin
Just purchased a 72 Series III....

Series 3 roof leak.

Hello all...

Just purchased my first Series 3, and am loving it! I do have a bit of a leak, from what I think is between the Galvanized drip rail, and riveted on aluminum roof... Read a few places that suggest using self leveling seam sealer... I've heard about 'Tiger Seal' and 'Sikaflex' as a couple options. Was wondering if you all had any advice?

thanks!
-Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 29th, 2015, 12:18 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
umbrella?
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old September 30th, 2015, 11:03 AM
WildBoar
Derek Borror
109 withdrawals filled by a 110

Registry
I have a similar issue on my SIIA 109. Over the winter when I break it down for an engine transplant I am going to use a role plumbers putty on metal to metal contacts on my top where the the existing gaskets or additional gaskets don't or won't meet. There is some other term that folks use the same type of material for...monkey puddy or something like that.
Advertisement

Old September 30th, 2015, 11:56 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

There some 3M type stuff like that.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old September 30th, 2015, 03:54 PM
Tom109
Tom P.
1965 ExMoD 109, 1995 RRC LWB

The issue is the joint between the steel gutter, aluminum roof, and stretched rivets. You can try seam sealer, but ultimately you'll need to separate the gutter from the roof. Clean and prep them both really well, then use a strong adhesive/sealant when you re-rivet. I used about 170 rivets on a 109 roof, and sealed with 3M 5200. Been fine ever since...
Old October 1st, 2015, 12:14 AM
seanman
Sean McLaughlin
Just purchased a 72 Series III....

Thanks Everyone!

Tom... with the 3M 5200, you used it between the Galvanized and Aluminum before you riveted...Did you also put a layer on top of the rivets from the outside afterwards?

thanks again everyone for the advice!
-Sean
Old October 1st, 2015, 08:10 AM
Tom109
Tom P.
1965 ExMoD 109, 1995 RRC LWB

Sean,

My roof had about 1/4-inch of "stuff" built-up between the roof and gutter channel form PO attempts to seal it. I disassembled everything and cleaned it. I drilled the holes out to 3/16 (one size up form the factory rivets) and ordered a few hundred semi-tubular rivets - I'll have to look and get the correct length for you.

Back to your question, yes, I used the 5200 between the aluminum roof and galvanized gutter, then re-riveted before it set. It is a messy process, and you'll never get that stuff off clothing, but I was able to do this all by myself. Afterward I used a paintable seam sealer in the actual gutter channel.

Tom P.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Tags
roof, series