Series 3 Front Brake Hoses - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Old May 13th, 2013, 10:59 AM
mgyip
Matthew
1972/Series 3 88"

Series 3 Front Brake Hoses

I've been making steady progress in bringing the '72 back to "road legal". This involved such unpleasantness as finding the wires for the brake light switch and having to pull each connection on the back of the fuse panel to clean the connections. The fuse panel exercise would have gone better had the idiot doing the work remembered that fuse #3 isn't powered so connecting the brake light and wiper switches to that fuse results in NOTHING except for a few minutes of angst.

The issue at hand are the front brake hoses. I dutifully ordered the 3 necessary brake hoses and commenced on replacement. When installing the hoses, I found that the "rear" line fit the front better b/c the studs on the rear line are a combination of short and long whereas the "front" lines are both long. Fast forward to this morning and a conversation with RDS where I am learning that the Series 3 should have a short pipe from the wheel cylinder to a junction near the swivel housing. The hose connects from the swivel housing junction to the one on the inner fenderwell.

Apparently someone has retrofitted this vehicle with Series IIa hoses that run from the inner fenderwell directly to the wheel cylinder. There were no evidence of leaks and while the brakes are horrible, they were consistently horrible. I've ordered Series IIa hoses and figure that if it worked before, why wouldn't it work again.

As an aside, it's great working on these vehicles b/c everything is large, coarse thread and designed to be worked on by ham-fisted "mechanics" in less than ideal conditions. I've spent countless hours working on German-engineered vehicles that are designed for repair in a spotless shop with no corrosion or wear issues - in other words, working on a VW is like trying to glue a broken glass window back together in hopes of making it transparent.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 13th, 2013, 11:07 AM
LRover
J. Michael McCaig
D90 ST, LR110, Series IIa, RRC

You may have an early Series III and the 2a hoses were done at the factory using up left over IIa parts.
Old May 13th, 2013, 12:00 PM
mgyip
Matthew
1972/Series 3 88"

That makes sense - VW was notorious for this as well.

All of this is a learning experience for me - I've played with cars in the past but never something British. I'm learning that SOME of the tales of Lucas are just that - tales while others make one scratch their head in wonderment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 13th, 2013, 04:16 PM
slorocco
Dan Prasada-Rao
1963, 109 Station Wagon

Just wait till you get to the nut and bolt pairs that are on opposite sides of things like the bulkhead where you cannot get to both sides at the same time. Those are always fun.

Hope you're having fun on that thing man. When you are done you can come down this way and help me build my SerIII. You should be a SerIII expert by then.
Old May 15th, 2013, 03:29 PM
mgyip
Matthew
1972/Series 3 88"

Quote:
Originally Posted by slorocco View Post
Just wait till you get to the nut and bolt pairs that are on opposite sides of things like the bulkhead where you cannot get to both sides at the same time. Those are always fun.
I've actually done that to myself a few times on the racecar - the thinking was "a nut and bolt will work great" but the execution was "Gee, my arms ARE too damn short".
Old May 16th, 2013, 01:34 PM
slorocco
Dan Prasada-Rao
1963, 109 Station Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgyip View Post
I've actually done that to myself a few times on the racecar - the thinking was "a nut and bolt will work great" but the execution was "Gee, my arms ARE too damn short".
Well..... as a Chinese guy who drives a racecar with the rebel flag on the roof, I'd say you've got bigger problems.
Old May 16th, 2013, 03:55 PM
mgyip
Matthew
1972/Series 3 88"

Quote:
Originally Posted by slorocco View Post
Well..... as a Chinese guy who drives a racecar with the rebel flag on the roof, I'd say you've got bigger problems.
You gotta problem wit dat?

The challenge I'm finding with the Series is that the roof is so damn high, adding the stars & bars wouldn't do much for effect b/c the only people who would see it are 18-wheelers...

On the brake hose front - I rec'd 2 Series IIa front lines today. I'll get'em installed and hopefully that will make braking better or less s**ty.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Tags
brake, series