series 2a v8 change in plans - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Old August 17th, 2010, 08:43 PM
orionpco
larry burns
1962 series 2a

series 2a v8 change in plans

ok heres the skinny i just purchased a 1995 d-90 burn victim. well instead of welding on my series chassis to get coils on it or fabbing a chassis from a rrc frame i have, how about i use the d-90 chassis for my project. is it possible? wouldnt it be easier in the long run?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 17th, 2010, 09:52 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

The tubs are different.
Old August 17th, 2010, 10:24 PM
orionpco
larry burns
1962 series 2a

tub length

couldnt the chassis be shortened to compinsate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 17th, 2010, 10:38 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Sure but I'm not sure where. The extra length in a D90 tub is behind the door but you need to get the wheel well in the right spot too. Mine is a Designa chassis.
Old August 17th, 2010, 11:42 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by orionpco View Post
couldnt the chassis be shortened to compinsate
I think they are different both in front of and behind the rear wheel.
Old August 18th, 2010, 12:07 AM
orionpco
larry burns
1962 series 2a

well im sure it would be some fab work but i was considering using my rrc chassis. seems that a front rad support would be needed. also a side gas tank support (both front and rear) then there is the length. defender wings and series wings seem to be the same length (correct me if im wrong) so the front end should be easy. 88 inches versus 90 is 2 inches (im sure its not exactly 2 inches) then there is where the front of the tub mounting points.

so i guess what im looking for is if any one has done this before? i know there is designa chassis and rrc or discovery chassis are cheap and common in these types of hybrids. all i really want is the coil suspension and disc brakes. i dont want to drop my v8 in and not have the stopping power or wider track that going coil offers.

would a defender chassis minus axles and running gear be worth anything on the open market (with-out title)
and how about with title.

sad but i have do pick a direction i have a beautiful series chassis here along with a rrc(stripped and ready to mod) and now a defender chassis. i really would like to get it down to one chassis (the one i will be using)

my biggest problem so far is im in this series build so deep i have no choice but to go all out. every thing is new or being rebuilt, so going to a series chassis with drum brakes around and no power sterring and worst of all 10 spline series axles makes no sense to me.
Old August 18th, 2010, 02:12 AM
1962siia88
Daniel Rogers
1962siia88

Registry
I was going this route at one point too, but sold the project to a friend. I had a d90 roller with tub. I put on series seatbox floors doors bulkhead wings and bonnet. All bolt right up and fit nicely. I was going to weld on a new front cross member to fit the series radiator panel but didn't get that far. I'd say find a d90 tub and use it rather than cut the frame down.

Here's some pics of mine

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/n...t=P1010358.jpg

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/n...t=P1010361.jpg

Good luck on your project.

Daniel
Old August 18th, 2010, 02:34 AM
orionpco
larry burns
1962 series 2a

thanks for the pics

oddly enough im going for the truck cab look and weather or not it would fit on a d-90 tub was my next question.
Old August 18th, 2010, 06:59 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

That is about the only way it will work easily(truck cab). If you use a Defender tub you then commit yourself to Defender length roofs which require a Defender windscreen.....or a cut down 109 roof.....or custom soft top....all possible but not easy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old August 18th, 2010, 08:09 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Taking the bulkhead/Firewall as a datum the front axle on a 90 and 88" are not in the same place. A 90 has a wheelbase of 92.9". The front wing outers on a 90 and 88" are interchangeable but the holes for the wheels are in different places by about 2".
My advice is if you want a coiler an have a 90 chassis then use as many 90 bits as you can, build a 90.
90 and 88" screens will swap with an appropriate roof, that is if you want a narrower (height wise) screen.
I built an 88" coiler years ago with an 88" front end, the water pump comes very close to the rad and can poke a hole through it The work round was put a 90 front panel and bonnet on, so it ends up looking like a 90.
Having spent years messing around getting the 88" 2a V8 rightish I sold it and got a 90. Just as good off road, better approach angle - the front axle is about 2" further forward and parts were easier to get too.
With 90 transmission you get permanent 4x4 no bad thing with a v8 and a gearbox more able to handle the power.

Just my take on the subject having had both

------ Follow up post added August 18th, 2010 01:16 PM ------

Quote:
oddly enough im going for the truck cab look and weather or not it would fit on a d-90 tub was my next question.
The truck cab with the appropriate wind screen will fit either way, the doors are the same width.
A 90 screen & truck cab roof will fit an 88" and a 90 screen and truck cab roof will fit an 88".
They look good but I found the cab a bit claustrophobic, you can't get the seat back all the way, the head rest fouls the truck cab rear window.

------ Follow up post added August 18th, 2010 01:19 PM ------

Quote:
my biggest problem so far is im in this series build so deep i have no choice but to go all out. every thing is new or being rebuilt, so going to a series chassis with drum brakes around and no power sterring and worst of all 10 spline series axles makes no sense to me.
If the series parts are that good surely it'll be worth more unmolested.
Build a series and sell it then build up a 90 from the burnt bits.

------ Follow up post added August 18th, 2010 01:23 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
I think they are different both in front of and behind the rear wheel.
Yes, longer in front of the rear wheel and much shorter behind the rear wheel, front axle is in a different place too.
109" and 110" rear bodies are much more compatible.
Old August 18th, 2010, 10:11 AM
orionpco
larry burns
1962 series 2a

well that probally solves my questions any one want a nice defender chassis i want the axles and power train but the rest is up for grabs.
Old September 8th, 2010, 07:47 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Larry, remind us where you are headed with this now. What combination of bits are you using for your build?
Old September 8th, 2010, 11:30 AM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

I have a 90 Tub for sale...... : )
Old September 8th, 2010, 12:29 PM
orionpco
larry burns
1962 series 2a

well i had a week or two of confusion i want coil overs but i have a sweet series chassis. i was kind of put off by altering this chassis to accept the coil overs. over it now just collocting more new parts for the project and moving forward.
fresh hooped up rover v8. (d&d fab ) gonna be a screamer
r380 trans=+ lt230 (waiting on stubby conversion parts)
working on getting a new rad (larger)
bulkhead modified and redone (pretty nice)
i have 2 axles off a 95 d90. and a rrc (scrapping one set soon)
thanks to the parts ninja i have the brake pedal box (booster)
a/c parts from a 95 d90 and others. (inside fascia for a/c found)
my biggest concerns right now are whether to adapt the series frame or use another ) and whether to go late seriers 2a front end or defender, later series 2a being more correct and cheaper but defender being easier.

i have gathered so many new and really nice used parts that i can go as far as i want. so right now im like a sinner in bangkok , to many choices. but seriously the core of the project is chugging along in the background, rebuilding engine trans, tc and axles. powder coating, galzanizing and such.
Old September 8th, 2010, 02:19 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
I still think - with that parts list you'd be better off using the 90 frame and putting the series bits on.

Quote:
my biggest concerns right now are whether to adapt the series frame or use another ) and whether to go late seriers 2a front end or defender, later series 2a being more correct and cheaper but defender being easier.
Correct for what, you seem to be working with a pile of parts post of which are 90 derived
Old September 8th, 2010, 02:23 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Stephen Peters has a galvy D90 chassis for sale that apparently just needs some outriggers tweaked or something if you haven't seen it.
Old September 8th, 2010, 02:28 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Stephen Peters has a galvy D90 chassis for sale that apparently just needs some outriggers tweaked or something if you haven't seen it.
The downside of galvaniszing is you have to grind it off to do any welding If you don't the weld doesn't "stick" and the fumes tend to burn your lungs and turn 'em to mush(I've been told)
Old September 8th, 2010, 02:39 PM
EricWS
Eric Siepmann
1966 Land Rover Series 2a SWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeslandrover View Post
Correct for what, you seem to be working with a pile of parts post of which are 90 derived
x2. Do what makes sense to your build. If you want to mimic the quality, fit and finish of a Timm Cooper truck, than by all means. But at the end of the day, the only right answers are going to come from you and your pocket book, not the forum.

Sounds like a fun project though. West Coast British has a few photos of a rover v-8 they threw in a 88. They eventually swapped that out to a 200tdi. The Orange paint is nasty, but the build looked clean enough...
Old September 8th, 2010, 05:01 PM
orionpco
larry burns
1962 series 2a

actually i started off with my series 2a. just trying to make it as nice and dependable as possible.
i just got that d90 and it opened up so many possiblities. got a little crazy for a week or two.

------ Follow up post added September 8th, 2010 05:10 PM ------

oh on the 200tdi issue, i would love a 200tdi but when i tried to get one suitable for rebuild i couldnt get one at a fair price. i could get a used one but not a fair priced rebuildable core. im sure i will build a diesal next since 300tdi seem to be cheaper to get. i just cant see putting in a used motor without rebuilding it since that is what i did for 2 hours a day in high school. had to show up an hour and a half early for that class but well worth it.
Old September 8th, 2010, 05:22 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
As much as I like the idea of a series with a defender suspension and drivetrain, I agree with Mike. Build up the series as a series and sell it. Then build up a D90

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Tags
series, v8