Series 2A Diff side gears - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Old May 14th, 2012, 10:13 PM
Jake1996d1
Jake
96 Disco/88 RRC

Series 2A Diff side gears

I have read I can swap 24 spline side gears into a series 4.7 diff - just want confirmation from somebody with experience with it. I am picking up a set of series 2A axles for cheap and want to use the diffs in the trayback disco build.

Also where can I find the specs for rebuilding the diffs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 15th, 2012, 12:18 AM
carlosz
Carlos
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP

Registry
I dont know of series, but I have swaped the internal guts of a 97 disco 24 spline into the housing of a 87 range rover non abs, I had to use the spindels and hubs of the disco as abs spindels are about 1/2 inch shorter than abs...
as far as swapping side gears, I think the 24 spline gear is bigger/larger than the 10 spline thus the 24 side gear by it self does not fit the hole in the differential which houses the 10 spline... vice versa the 10 spline gear wobbles in the hole of the diff which houses the 24 spline side gear...
you would have to swap the whole guts not just internal gear and axels.... the 24 spline ring and pinion ratio is a 3.54:1 but your r/p should be able to be used so you would not notice drive issues... as per the legth of the 24 spline axle shafts vrs the series 10 spline I dont know for sure but I think the series parts are a bit shorter than the 24 thus they may not fit in the series axle housings...
on the other hand, some guys have reported having purchased custom fit/cut 24 spline axles to fit the series specially if they are using lockers, others have played with the mod of fitting disco coil sprung axels onto series leaf sprung frames... a little custom work was in that order... no one ever reported on final outcome of those mods so I dont think many of us know how each one ended...
for further info on general diff building try the rave manual, "land rover resource dot com" there is one specifically for series but the link skips my mind...rovers north has lots of free info on series as well...
Old May 15th, 2012, 12:29 AM
Jake1996d1
Jake
96 Disco/88 RRC

Yea I am trying to avoid using 10 spline RRC stub axles, hubs ect. I have read swapping side gears works but was hoping to head from somebody who has first hand experience on it. If I can just swap side gears it would make it worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 15th, 2012, 10:08 AM
winn442
Winn Bearden

Registry
Get a 24 spline carrier out of a disco, get a spacer ring from ARB to put your 4.7 ring gear back in the right spot. Might have to change carrier bearings and races, but it can be done.

In fact, I have one spacer ring if you want it....
Old May 15th, 2012, 10:25 AM
Jake1996d1
Jake
96 Disco/88 RRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by winn442 View Post
Get a 24 spline carrier out of a disco, get a spacer ring from ARB to put your 4.7 ring gear back in the right spot. Might have to change carrier bearings and races, but it can be done.

In fact, I have one spacer ring if you want it....

I may take you up on that. I saw those on Ashcrofts site and figured that may be one route to go. If I go that route though is should at least get LSD's

but the question still stands has anybody ever just switched the side gears?
Old May 15th, 2012, 05:14 PM
winn442
Winn Bearden

Registry
Used to run series diffs for years with ARB's to get the lower ratio. Same ARB's will fit in coiler diffs, so the external dimensions of the carriers is pretty much the same, except for position of the ring gear. Internal dimensions of the carriers, I'm not sure, I don't have any series diffs laying around anymore to check. Strength of the series R&P suck however (used to go through them like sh*t through a goose, always carried around a "Bucket 'o Diff" and changed out the ARB carrier either on the trail on in camp). Eventually used up all the spare series diffs in South Georgia and resorted to buying some 4.75 R&P's. They held up very well until I went from 36" to 38" TSL's, then I started chumming those up too.
Old May 15th, 2012, 05:45 PM
Jake1996d1
Jake
96 Disco/88 RRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by winn442 View Post
Used to run series diffs for years with ARB's to get the lower ratio. Same ARB's will fit in coiler diffs, so the external dimensions of the carriers is pretty much the same, except for position of the ring gear. Internal dimensions of the carriers, I'm not sure, I don't have any series diffs laying around anymore to check. Strength of the series R&P suck however (used to go through them like sh*t through a goose, always carried around a "Bucket 'o Diff" and changed out the ARB carrier either on the trail on in camp). Eventually used up all the spare series diffs in South Georgia and resorted to buying some 4.75 R&P's. They held up very well until I went from 36" to 38" TSL's, then I started chumming those up too.

Yea this is going in an open diff (for now) disco tray back that weighs nothing and is running 32's.. The disco on 35's is running 4.11's locked. I was gonna go up to 4.75's but they didnt seem as strong even the aftermarket gears - good to know. I am going to pick this axles up in a couple weeks and see where I end up..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Tags
series