Series 2A conversion to new D90 body - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Old September 17th, 2005, 06:41 PM
freeloader
H D

Series 2A conversion to new D90 body

I am thinking about buying an old Series 2A and would like to convert it to a D90 body style. I know it is possible because I've seen it done. Are there any resources on the net about this.

Sorry if this is the wrong protocol.

Thanks.

HD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 17th, 2005, 06:55 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
The body will all bolt up exept for the rear tub. You will need a 90 rear tub since it is a few inches longer and also a 90 windscreen and either euro roof or soft top. What frame are you going to use?

I am actually just starting a build of a IIa on a coil chassis with a 5 speed and a perkins 2.0 deisel.. IT will be very cool. I will post pics once I get going but it still is a few months off.
Old September 17th, 2005, 07:49 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I think he's talking about leavig it an 88 and converting the front clip. You can make one look very similar with a d-90 front clip and fenders, then trimming the rear fenders to the right shape and putting on fender flares. If you actually want the 92.9 WB and coils, you have to convert frames and rear box. I would decide if you want a Defender or Series. If you want a defender, it really doesn't make sense to start with a series, when D's are cheaper now and if you want, you can build from scratch.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 17th, 2005, 08:16 PM
freeloader
H D

Well, my budget is around $12-15K. I can get a series 1971 2A w/ good mechanicals for 2k. The body will probably be rusted (but that wont matter if the firewall is good and if I plan to convert it).
I also figure I need a new galvanized chassis (add another 3K). I like the series but I prefer the d90 front end. I also prefer the 4 cyl. or maybe diesel.

I really, really would just like to buy a Defender outright but in reality, wife wants a LR3. Also, we plan to have a baby next year so buying a Defender as a daily driver is almost out of the question. Moreover, I can't justify spending 25K for a project car when I already have two (landcruiser fj60 and soon to be fj40).

A nicely restored series wouldn't be out of the picture either.

Follow-up Post:

Attached is the Series 2A I was thinking of buying. Everything works except brakes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAGE_207.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	3850   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAGE_208.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	3851  

Old September 17th, 2005, 08:33 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

For 15k you cn buy a NAS defender. I almost went the route you are thinking of before I bought my military Defender. Trust me, if you want a Defender, get one. You'll be surprised how much money you will spend trying to make a Series look like a defender. Plus, maxing out at 65mph with a strong tail wind gets old very fast. Just some free advise, good luck.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old September 18th, 2005, 08:55 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
You can also put a lot of money in a 15k defender, speaking from personal experience.
Old September 19th, 2005, 12:16 PM
cdmbrennan
Chris Brennan

Smile

I have to agree with Jim...a 15K Defender probably will need a good amount of work- I don't see many for that kind of money that don't have significant "issues" (i.e. bulkhead rust, trashed body, rear crossmember rusted out).

With a budget of 12-15K, I think a SIIa would be a good vehicle to convert to a D90 style. In essence, you're *only* keeping the axles (if you want to), trans, steering and engine.

-Buy a galvanized, 88" coiler chassis ($3000 from Marsland, maybe from AB as well?)
-Buy a set of Unimog portal axles ($1500).
-Save the 2a's front wings, rear tub, seatbox, bulkhead (if in great condition), strip 'em, prime 'em, shoot 'em. ($?- not too much if you've got your own HVLP gun or paintbrush)
-Good used condition D90 hood, windshield, front radiator panel and grill- figure $1000 to locate, buy and ship.
-go ahead and buy all OME springs and shocks- why not? $800.
-damn- bulkhead's not in as good condition as you thought. Have it stripped, repaired, sandblasted, primed, painted- $3000.
-stock up on Swampers, get a roll cage fabricated, new D90 hinge mirrors, wing protectors, swingaway wheel carrier- $sky's the limit

In essence, you could customize your setup alot more with a IIa built up rather than a stock (which it would almost have to be, at 15K) D90.

You could even source a used 200Tdi and LT77 trans and swap those in for more power, still within your original budget.

This is assuming that you like to do a good deal of the work yourself- the D90 would probably be much closer to "plug 'n play" out of the box. But with a child on the way...you might cherish the hours working alone in the garage cursing rusted bolts...

Cheers
Old September 19th, 2005, 02:15 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

If you can wait until the dead of winter, $15K will get you a decent D90. A lot more than right now as the ST prices are still high with the good weather.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old September 19th, 2005, 02:47 PM
cdmbrennan
Chris Brennan

Chris is right, I do remember seeing several in January for sale for around that- on Ebay, nonetheless so dickering probably would put you below that amount.

I guess what it comes down to is whether you want to spend the money and be able to immediately enjoy a Defender, or spend the time and modify something to fit what you want to accomplish.

Ye olde "time is money" adage, I guess...

I'd reconsider that IIa as a donor vehicle- wings look pretty beat up (but you spoke of Defender wings, so natch) but most importantly, the bulkhead looks like it's rusting. What would your money for buying this really go towards? If you end up having to replace/repair the bulkhead, chassis, all body panels and probably rewire the electric, then you've paid good money for a non-synchromesh (though strong) gearbox, LR axles and a 2.25L used engine- not worth it IMHO.

Keep us updated!
Old September 19th, 2005, 09:08 PM
freeloader
H D

inclined to go for a D90.

I am now inclined to go for a D90. We'll have to see in the winter when we spring for the LR3 and see how much money we have left over. The fact that the old series struggle at 60 mph is a concern. The closest off-road park is about 80 miles away and I don't want to be trailering a rig just to go wheeling. We'll see. I'm a land rover owner for life though.
Old September 19th, 2005, 09:55 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmbrennan
I have to agree with Jim...a 15K Defender probably will need a good amount of work- I don't see many for that kind of money that don't have significant "issues" (i.e. bulkhead rust, trashed body, rear crossmember rusted out).

With a budget of 12-15K, I think a SIIa would be a good vehicle to convert to a D90 style. In essence, you're *only* keeping the axles (if you want to), trans, steering and engine.

-Buy a galvanized, 88" coiler chassis ($3000 from Marsland, maybe from AB as well?)
-Buy a set of Unimog portal axles ($1500).
-Save the 2a's front wings, rear tub, seatbox, bulkhead (if in great condition), strip 'em, prime 'em, shoot 'em. ($?- not too much if you've got your own HVLP gun or paintbrush)
-Good used condition D90 hood, windshield, front radiator panel and grill- figure $1000 to locate, buy and ship.
-go ahead and buy all OME springs and shocks- why not? $800.
-damn- bulkhead's not in as good condition as you thought. Have it stripped, repaired, sandblasted, primed, painted- $3000.
-stock up on Swampers, get a roll cage fabricated, new D90 hinge mirrors, wing protectors, swingaway wheel carrier- $sky's the limit

In essence, you could customize your setup alot more with a IIa built up rather than a stock (which it would almost have to be, at 15K) D90.

You could even source a used 200Tdi and LT77 trans and swap those in for more power, still within your original budget.

This is assuming that you like to do a good deal of the work yourself- the D90 would probably be much closer to "plug 'n play" out of the box. But with a child on the way...you might cherish the hours working alone in the garage cursing rusted bolts...

Cheers

Exactly what did you smoke before you posted this? Seriously, every price you listed is wrong. Just for starters a stock front unimog axle is $1500 (bare minimum, not including shipping), then you have to retube it to be the correct side drop, then the rear axle is $900 (bare min again). Then you have to have both shortened, then new axles for the shorter housings, then wheels, then steering linkage, then power assist, then driveshafts (I doubt a stock pinion would fit in an 88), then brakes, new brake master.................

Just to get the Series in the picture up to a decent looking D90 assuming all the driveline is in good shape would get you close to the budget limit. These things add up. You can get a good d90 for 15k if you do some shopping. Anyway, freeloader, I think you are making a good decision. Good luck~!

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old September 20th, 2005, 02:15 AM
cdmbrennan
Chris Brennan

David,

didn't smoke anything that I'm aware of- maybe it was so strong I've forgotten already?

There have been several sets (front steering axle, rear non-steering) of Unimog axles that have gone on Ebay recently for $1600.00. Each time. Shipping is around $300.00- I looked into getting a set for my rig.
Even if you were to bring a set of Volvo portals over from Europe you still could find a pair in excellent condition, shipped, for around 2K, and that's with a lousy Euro or Sterling conversion factor. Bringing the portals into the equation was my idea, not Freeloaders- I believe that they would be overkill for most wheeling- particularly reading that the nearest trail is 80 miles away. I wouldn't want to drive a portaled rig 80 miles at 50 mph!

To the best of my knowledge, and someone correct me if you've done the conversion before, dropping a set of Unimog 440 axles into a leaf-spring Series is fairly straightforward- yes, you would need an extended driveshaft, extended brakelines, axle retainers, etc- but you still wouldn't spend a whole heck of alot. But there's no need to shorten the axles, retube, change housings- so I believe. I've heard that some wheelers drop 11" discs (109s?) into the front and rear rather than the stock ones, but again- you've got a 2.25L pushing the rig- fairly low torque, not very high speed.

That being said, I don't think I was far off on the other pricing- chassis, D90 hood, wings, mirrors, OME stuff- it all comes down to where you source your parts. Yes, buy everything through AB and you'll pay more. Buy it all through Paddock or John Craddock and have it shipped from the UK and you're apt to save a good deal- and that I DO know from experience.

A IIa has alot of good things going for it- afterall, the Defender is a derivation of it's design. It can be a blank canvas for many modifications, just as a D90 can be a blank canvas- it all depends on what Freeloader wants to accomplish. With an LR3 on the way though, and as a "land rover owner for life", why not take on the challenge of modding up a IIa?

Just my 2 cents worth.
Old September 20th, 2005, 01:48 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

[QUOTE=cdmbrennan]To the best of my knowledge, and someone correct me if you've done the conversion before, dropping a set of Unimog 440 axles into a leaf-spring Series is fairly straightforward- yes, you would need an extended driveshaft, extended brakelines, axle retainers, etc- but you still wouldn't spend a whole heck of alot. But there's no need to shorten the axles, retube, change housings- so I believe. QUOTE]

No, its not straight foreword at all. There is massive modification to make them fit. I think you might not know anything about this, for instance, you don't extend the driveshafts, you shorten them significantly. And you don't need extended brake lines, unless you want additional lift over the 6in that the mogs provide. And you don't have to shorten them, but your tires will stick out a foot on each side. There is no cheap way to make mogs fit! Maybe you are confusing Volvo with Mog. The Volvos are more easily made to fit.

Also, to make a series look like a Defender, there is more than a front clip conversion that you are not even calculating. To get the truck to give the appearance of a Defender, you need a new roof, front windshield, hood, fenders, clip, frame, rear tub, fender flares. Then go into the little things, like converting from the 10 spline tiny cv joints in the front just to run 31in tires so it doesn't break pulling out of the driveway. Does he want power steering? Decent Seats? And how exactly you going to get a 200Tdi and stay on budget?? The best deal I have ever seen in my life on a 300 w drivetrain was 5gs and 200's are harder to get. What I am saying is to end up with a Defender looking Series in stock form you are way over 15K even with the stock motor. I know this for sure, I have priced it out, in detail, back when I was a poor college kid and a crappy defender was 28K. Anyway, if you want to try it, go for it, prove me wronge. Don't forget the Mogs though.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old September 20th, 2005, 02:15 PM
SLO Hybrid
Nathan Harrison
95 25th RRC/94 LWB /04 L322/87 RRC

Smile galvanized chassis

I have a 71 11A,

I bought a 98 disco frame for $200 cut all of the coil suspension pieces off it and welded them on to the 11A frame but 2 inches further back on the rear and 8 inches further toward the front for the rear trailing arms! I then had the frame galvanized for $800 +( an old bed frame) point is it can be done cheaper but if you go as far as I have with the rest of the vehicle you will end up with a 40 thousand dollar vehicle that still looks old! but is way more than a D90!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeloader
Well, my budget is around $12-15K. I can get a series 1971 2A w/ good mechanicals for 2k. The body will probably be rusted (but that wont matter if the firewall is good and if I plan to convert it).
I also figure I need a new galvanized chassis (add another 3K). I like the series but I prefer the d90 front end. I also prefer the 4 cyl. or maybe diesel.

I really, really would just like to buy a Defender outright but in reality, wife wants a LR3. Also, we plan to have a baby next year so buying a Defender as a daily driver is almost out of the question. Moreover, I can't justify spending 25K for a project car when I already have two (landcruiser fj60 and soon to be fj40).

A nicely restored series wouldn't be out of the picture either.

Follow-up Post:

Attached is the Series 2A I was thinking of buying. Everything works except brakes.
Old September 20th, 2005, 02:25 PM
cdmbrennan
Chris Brennan

David,

Yes, I believe I was thinking of the Volvo portals rather than the Mogs. I've done a bit of research on portals, but obviously not to the same extent you have- and yes, I concur that you would have to shorten the driveshafts rather than lengthen them. Chalk that up to the time of night I posted it. But why the horseshit attitude?

The first post was "I am thinking about buying an old Series 2A and would like to convert it to a D90 body style." BODY style- nothing said about power seats, steering, severe off-road ability- just a D90 look. And there are several hybrids which are exactly that for a good deal less than 15K.

You refer to your Defender as a military Defender- purchased in the US? In what manner is it military, and would that have anything to do with the condition it was in (probably very well maintained) when you purchased it? I'm more intrigued than anything, as I've never seen a US military Defender- most are ex-MOD or United Nations or such.

"Anyway, if you want to try it, go for it, prove me wronge. Don't forget the Mogs though." - I'll take you up on this- you buy the parts and I'll assemble it D90 style...

I reconsider my position, Freeloader- buy a D90 AND a SIIa and the LR3 and put the FJ40 project on hold for a few years!

cheers
Old September 20th, 2005, 02:42 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmbrennan
David,

Yes, I believe I was thinking of the Volvo portals rather than the Mogs. I've done a bit of research on portals, but obviously not to the same extent you have- and yes, I concur that you would have to shorten the driveshafts rather than lengthen them. Chalk that up to the time of night I posted it. But why the horseshit attitude?

The first post was "I am thinking about buying an old Series 2A and would like to convert it to a D90 body style." BODY style- nothing said about power seats, steering, severe off-road ability- just a D90 look. And there are several hybrids which are exactly that for a good deal less than 15K.

You refer to your Defender as a military Defender- purchased in the US? In what manner is it military, and would that have anything to do with the condition it was in (probably very well maintained) when you purchased it? I'm more intrigued than anything, as I've never seen a US military Defender- most are ex-MOD or United Nations or such.

"Anyway, if you want to try it, go for it, prove me wronge. Don't forget the Mogs though." - I'll take you up on this- you buy the parts and I'll assemble it D90 style...

I reconsider my position, Freeloader- buy a D90 AND a SIIa and the LR3 and put the FJ40 project on hold for a few years!

cheers
Because I'm full of horseshit! My truck was ex-mod. A NATO truck that spent most of it's life in Germany and even saw a little live action somewhere (bullet round in the drives side door latch and some kind of explosion under the passenger side). As for maintenance, not so great, Swivals were full of mud, bulkhead was rusted through, every panel had dents, no lights worked, but the motor ran like a top. Just to get this thing looking like a decent defender took about 3k and I did everything myself. But, I got it for 16K with a title, which made it at the time the cheapest Defender in North America! Since then I have put a little into it though...

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old September 20th, 2005, 10:30 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

Gonna have to go with Chris on this one, put that 'Yota on hold.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Tags
90, body, conversion, d90, series