Series 1 parts or restore? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Old June 10th, 2014, 11:43 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

Looks like a good find
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 11th, 2014, 12:28 AM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ini88 View Post
Looks like a good find
Would look real nice in a queens parking garage...
Old June 11th, 2014, 01:34 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by D90user View Post
Do it!... If the rust is reparable. If not learn to weld! It took me 3 years to turn my 86" from pink camo chop job to a galvanized tdi... but it was worth every minute
You got rid of the best parts. The winch and the front lights. None the less, an excellent looking vehicle.
Advertisement

Old June 11th, 2014, 03:31 PM
Mamba
Richard
'65 109 Dormobile

Registry
No worries. The truck is way too cute and too correct not to rescue it. Hope to get it home this weekend and have a better look see. I found a picture of the truck made when the original paint was still fresh looking. Wish the last owner had known about WD40 or Waxoyl back then. He apparently bought it from a SeaBee stationed in Gulfport, MS, years ago.

I will update as things progress. Thanks to all who have replied to the thread. Kind of cool to fianlly say I "found it in a barn"! Never had that kind of luck before. Always got there a day late and a dollar short.
Old June 11th, 2014, 04:50 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
You got rid of the best parts. The winch and the front lights. None the less, an excellent looking vehicle.
Oh dont worry... the winch is back on. Sadly I broke one of the side markers.
Old June 11th, 2014, 06:07 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Your truck looks great Steve! Love the blue matching rims. I have a set of green steel wheels in the garage waiting for the rest of the vehicle to get the same color.

Quote:
Do it!... If the rust is reparable. If not learn to weld! It took me 3 years to turn my 86" from pink camo chop job to a galvanized tdi... but it was worth every minute
Old June 11th, 2014, 06:14 PM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
Quote:
Oh dont worry... the winch is back on. Sadly I broke one of the side markers.

Just pick up a pair of Lucas 488 lamps, with clear glass lenses. They are still being made.

Btw your truck is awesome. Would love to see some more pictures of it.
Old June 11th, 2014, 06:47 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamba View Post
No worries. The truck is way too cute and too correct not to rescue it. Hope to get it home this weekend and have a better look see. I found a picture of the truck made when the original paint was still fresh looking. Wish the last owner had known about WD40 or Waxoyl back then. He apparently bought it from a SeaBee stationed in Gulfport, MS, years ago.

I will update as things progress. Thanks to all who have replied to the thread. Kind of cool to fianlly say I "found it in a barn"! Never had that kind of luck before. Always got there a day late and a dollar short.
I have a confession... I drive the back roads looking over tall grass and peer into slanted barns hoping to see something rusty and amazing like her. You are so lucky. Congratulations!!
Old June 12th, 2014, 04:32 PM
Contractor
Will
1969 IIA

Very Cool truck, congrats on the find.

Join the Series One Club for sure and put Ike in your address book.
Old June 17th, 2014, 12:44 PM
Mamba
Richard
'65 109 Dormobile

Registry
Rats! Couldn't bring the '58 home last weekend as I had hoped. Owner was out of town. Hopefully, this Saturday will be the ticket. I will post updates when there is anything worthy to post.
Old June 25th, 2014, 05:57 PM
Mamba
Richard
'65 109 Dormobile

Registry
Update: Got the little beggar home last weekend. We found windows, doors, side mirrors, hardtop, keys, etc. The brakes wee not locked up, and the clutch appears to work (I think it must be direct linkage instead of hydraulic clutch). The wiring harness appeared intact, and there was fresh oil in the crankcase. No coolant in the radiator, and the water pump is locked solid. Pumped out the old diesel from the tank, and did not encounter any jelling or water.

So, we decided to pour in a bit of fresh diesel, and put in a battery. Nothing sparked when we hooked up the battery. Ignition lights came on with the key, and headlights even worked. You see where this is headed. yep. Cranked on the fourth try. It was a stinkingly beautiful fragrance.

My son has decided that he has to have it and is intent on restoring. So I guess we're off. But for those who expressed interest in parts or purchase, don't give up just yet. Stay tuned to see what gives. Will add new pix soon.
Old June 25th, 2014, 06:04 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I only have had one series that could not be started (pistons were rusted shut). Otherwise they all seem to go just like yours did. Congrats!
Old June 25th, 2014, 08:12 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Wow... Awesome! Post more pics please...

Old June 26th, 2014, 08:07 AM
Contractor
Will
1969 IIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90 View Post
Wow... Awesome! Post more pics please...

x2

Awesome!
Old June 26th, 2014, 06:07 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamba View Post
Update: Got the little beggar home last weekend. We found windows, doors, side mirrors, hardtop, keys, etc. The brakes wee not locked up, and the clutch appears to work (I think it must be direct linkage instead of hydraulic clutch). The wiring harness appeared intact, and there was fresh oil in the crankcase. No coolant in the radiator, and the water pump is locked solid. Pumped out the old diesel from the tank, and did not encounter any jelling or water.

So, we decided to pour in a bit of fresh diesel, and put in a battery. Nothing sparked when we hooked up the battery. Ignition lights came on with the key, and headlights even worked. You see where this is headed. yep. Cranked on the fourth try. It was a stinkingly beautiful fragrance.

My son has decided that he has to have it and is intent on restoring. So I guess we're off. But for those who expressed interest in parts or purchase, don't give up just yet. Stay tuned to see what gives. Will add new pix soon.
That's awesome
Old June 26th, 2014, 08:11 PM
Partsman
Harvey
1965 Series 2A 109

Registry
I'm glad your not breaking it for parts, it deserves a restoration, nice find.
Old June 26th, 2014, 09:44 PM
REDrum
Niall Johnson
1970 Series IIA 88 - Sandstone

Registry
Diesel 2.0 will be tough, and times impossible, to find parts for, (petrol will be easier). Pretty much none in US, and rare in UK. My buddy in CR who specializes in SIs has given up on 2.0L engine. (both diesel and petrol) Original is nice, but just not enough parts out there to support. Its 2.25 from here on out for him.

Series II and newer are vintage and have their quirks, but Series Is are all antique artifacts. Ownership requires a special level of patience, passion, and OCD. Wrenching on a Series I is labor of love. I've spent the past two years restoring a '58 SI petrol, so this first hand. My '58 88 has been quite a time sink, but a good buddy of mine, who specializes in SIs provides a lot of support (pretty much compensation via premium IPA and dark amber maple syrup).

The exterior of my 58 is squared away but I decided to over haul the engine too. Just got the 2.0L block back from being sleeved and now about to replace all rotating wear parts in the long block, took me 6 months to get them all from UK. I paid $175 for new milled to order rear main engine seal for my 2.0L, but I got it.... Would I do it again, doubtful. But very glad I did.

If you put the time and money into your find, in 5 years or so you will will be a very proud owner of an heirloom truck.

Here are the beginings of the next two SIs to go thru my buddies rover shop, both '56 80s. And both will be short cab hard top versions when complete

'99 UZJ 100 - for glamping and grocery getting
'94 FZJ80 - our Costa Rican coffee mule
'96 FZJ80 - 3XL, racked, shaved and dipped in Raptor coat
'70 Petrol SIIA 88 - a Costa Rican expat now with US citizenship!
'70 Petrol SIIA 88 - for Central America surf & coffee exploration
'56 Petrol S1 86 - a whole new kind of land rover hell...
Old June 26th, 2014, 09:52 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Wow..nice. What paint color is that on the S1?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old June 27th, 2014, 07:47 AM
REDrum
Niall Johnson
1970 Series IIA 88 - Sandstone

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Wow..nice. What paint color is that on the S1?
No idea. I resprayed same as was on it. Seemed to be OEM but doesn't quite match LR color charts.

SIs in CR seem to be weird that way, there are a few blue colors that don't match LR charts either. If you ask around, most ticos just shrug and say pura vida.

'99 UZJ 100 - for glamping and grocery getting
'94 FZJ80 - our Costa Rican coffee mule
'96 FZJ80 - 3XL, racked, shaved and dipped in Raptor coat
'70 Petrol SIIA 88 - a Costa Rican expat now with US citizenship!
'70 Petrol SIIA 88 - for Central America surf & coffee exploration
'56 Petrol S1 86 - a whole new kind of land rover hell...
Old July 14th, 2014, 11:50 AM
Mamba
Richard
'65 109 Dormobile

Registry
Here is a happy little update for the now-rescued Series 1. You may have to copy and paste into your browser.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Tags
part, parts, series