Defender Source Forum banner

S3, 200TDi

Tags
200tdi tdi
1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Roverlab 
#1 ·
I have a customer with a S3 already fitted with a 200TDi. We're having a discussion about how to make more power, especially if we add a/c.
Fitting a different drivetrain is an option, but he would like to stay turbo diesel.

So, I'm looking for feedback, pros and cons, what worked, what didn't work.

Thanks!

#2 · (Edited)
Does the 200TDI being discussed in the Series III have the turbo fitted.
Sounds crazy, but lots of 200TDI engines get fitted to a series without a turbo.

#4 ·
You would first need to benchmark if it is developing normal stock power first. Top speed, 0-60 times can help see where it is at. It is pretty common for people to be driving around with power well below stock.

Does it have gearing to match the engine?

If the power is okay and still not enough, how much does he want? What is the budget?

#6 ·
The 109 arrived last week and all I've done so far is drive it on an errand. There is no instrumentation relating to EGT or boost, but my seat of the pants, baseline opinion is that it feels "normal". Hoping to get it into the shop this week and review the rest of the car.
When we first met, it was at a remote campground in the Badlands and they were loaded for several weeks' worth of travelling, and were struggling with lack of power/speed on climbs as well as a rise in coolant temp under load.
As far as power and budget, we haven't gotten that far. 300 with a VNT? 2.8? Electric? Still has the Series 4 speed with an overdrive.

#7 ·
The 109 arrived last week and all I've done so far is drive it on an errand. There is no instrumentation relating to EGT or boost, but my seat of the pants, baseline opinion is that it feels "normal". Hoping to get it into the shop this week and review the rest of the car. When we first met, it was at a remote campground in the Badlands and they were loaded for several weeks' worth of travelling, and were struggling with lack of power/speed on climbs as well as a rise in coolant temp under load. As far as power and budget, we haven't gotten that far. 300 with a VNT? 2.8? Electric? Still has the Series 4 speed with an overdrive.
Considered an allisport uprated intercooler and one of their plug-and-play tunes? You can do this without moving to a VNT and gain quite a bit of HP and more important IMO tq. RAndy (Tdi guy) has the best connection with them and gets parts Uber quick.

#9 ·
Trevor,

John is correct. The 200 and 300 almost identical power wise. my 300tdi will easily do 70mph w/ AC on. Best way for more power is have the pump rebuilt and have them advance the cam timing by 1.4 degrees. It gives you about a 10% power boost with just a touch more black smoke. It will also get rid of a lot of the turbo lag. You have other issues. A Ser 3 gearbox will not handle that power and you should have disc brakes with this setup. Been up and down this road many time;) hahaha

#10 · (Edited)
I'm with John...it's time to baseline that truck.

The question is, will the customer pay for actual quantitative testing...dyno, AFR check, boost pressure and EGR check...etc...

That said, if the compressor (York 210 or Sanden) draws a typical (not sure if this is actual) 7hp (~5kW) at max pressure, then does it really matter if the truck is down on power?

#11 ·
I agree, I need more info- from the car and from the customer. Currently does not have a/c fitted and is still drum brakes.
Should have the last item finished on the HiCap this afternoon and will be able to bring in the 109 tomorrow.

------ Follow up post added January 18th, 2017 03:04 PM ------

Just curious about sourcing a Cummins Atlas.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.