Roverdrive or High ratio Ashcroft for my 200tdi series - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Old May 20th, 2013, 09:09 AM
Apocalypse Vehicle
Evian Degree
none yet

Roverdrive or High ratio Ashcroft for my 200tdi series

I'm wondering what experiences anyone may be able to share with these combinations. Iv'e read reviews and comparisons on both roverdrive and high ratio transfer case but not for my combination. I just finished getting my 1961 series II running after doing a 200tdi defender swap power steering, 3.54 diff. The 3.54 diff has done nothing for my freeway driving. I imagine it's because of the lower rpm power range of the diesel vs my 2.25 petrol engine. I was leaning more towards the roverdrive because of the flexibility and gear options but I'm not sure. I saw that roversnorth is selling new high ratio transfer cases for 1600, about the same price as the rover drive. I thought about doing a five speed swap as I have a military series 88 cross member made for a R380 or lt77 I ordered from richards chassis in UK a while ago. After all the work of getting my car running I don't think I want to spend the time and money on a five speed swap. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 20th, 2013, 02:24 PM
gambrinus
Russ Wilson
1965 Dormobile

Registry
Play with a gear ratio calculator and see what works best for you. What works best for some other guy who NEVER goes on a highway etc, may not be the best answer for YOU.

http://www.4lo.com/calc/gearratio.php

What number are you working with as a "max" rpm?

"happy" cruising rpm at X MPH ??

RW
Old May 20th, 2013, 02:51 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Series carriers are very weak. My choice would be 4.1 diffs with trutracs.
Advertisement

Old May 20th, 2013, 02:53 PM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
well, the 3.54 has done quite alot actually if you swapped them in place of the 4.7's. Now at any given speed your RPM's will be lower.

What change do you want to see?
Old May 20th, 2013, 05:31 PM
LRover
J. Michael McCaig
D90 ST, LR110, Series IIa, RRC

Wow this is interesting. I'm installing a 2.5TD in my Series and I was hoping that I would be able to keep the 4.7s for a lower crawl gear while going with a high ratio transfer box for a little better highway speed. I guess we need to talk about tire size too when talking about ratios
Old May 20th, 2013, 06:15 PM
Apocalypse Vehicle
Evian Degree
none yet

I'm running 235/85 16 tires so that's about a 31 inch tire, so I have a good tire size for a series. I'm sure the 3.54 diff did a lot but since I can't buzz my 200tdi the way I did my 2.25 petrol rpms I can't tell any difference. It has left me where I was with the 4.7 diff and my 2.25 petrol engine, as far as highway speed goes. I can't go any faster than I could originally, without blowing up my 200tdi, abusing the hell out of it, going def, whatever comes first. I thought the diffs would be enough for now and planned on getting an overdrive eventually, but I need to get one really soon. This is my daily driver.
Old May 20th, 2013, 06:28 PM
Apocalypse Vehicle
Evian Degree
none yet

If I could cruise at 65mph at around 2500-2600 rpms, that would be nice. I don't see myself going any faster than that in a series. I live in southern california and have to deal with all kinds of idiots on the road so I just cruise. I think i will probably go with the roverdrive because of it's range and ease of install. I'm pretty burnt out on this project right now and just want to drive it.. What was suppose to be a month tops turned into a year. I've had enough cars I should have known it never goes how you plan it. I'm happy though. The engine runs great, power steering is nice and I still got the cool look of a series II. Now I need to get my highway speed up and I will be happy. Anyone put wilwood pedal assemblies in their series? I'm thinking about trying this, if it makes for more leg room. I'm tired of raising my leg to the sky just to get on top of the damn clutch and brake pedal....lol
Old May 20th, 2013, 09:05 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Do you have a tach and a proper reading speedo. If you have the normal 1.153:1 Series high range, you gearing should be OK... I get 2900 rpm at 65 mph. You can sit at that all day long. It won't hurt anything.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old May 20th, 2013, 09:47 PM
Apocalypse Vehicle
Evian Degree
none yet

I know my speedo is way off. I need to get my girlfriend to ride beside me so I can get an idea of how far off it is but I guess by least 10mph. How do you get an accurate reading? Can you recalibrate it? I don't have but I would like to hook one up. I still need to hook up my water temp oil pressure gauge also.
Old May 20th, 2013, 10:22 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Bring a GPS along to check speed. Any smart phone will do. A VDO electronic speedo is the easiest way to get an accurate gauge.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old May 20th, 2013, 11:00 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

200 TDI Slow?

Any gearing needs to match the engine performance to be driveable.
Please tell me you have the turbo in place because running a 200TDI without one is a very very very bad idea.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old May 20th, 2013, 11:47 PM
Apocalypse Vehicle
Evian Degree
none yet

good idea, my iphone is very capable and I don't use it to its potential. Yes I have a turbo so it should be very capable in handling the 3.54 gears with an overdrive. The turbo made my swap a pain in the butt, it's worth it though.
Old May 21st, 2013, 11:27 AM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

D90 200Tdi 5th gear total ratio is 3.84:1, these were commonly fitted with 29" 205/80R16 tires

Your SII with 3.54 diffs is 4.06:1, with 31" tires

These ratios balance out. Your 4th gear is the same as 5th gear in a standard D90 200Tdi.

200Tdi redline is something like 4000rpm, you will not hurt it it you are cruising at 3000-3300rpm on the highway. You may go deaf however

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Tags
200tdi, series