Rookie question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Old April 24th, 2013, 02:57 PM
mgyip
Matthew
1972/Series 3 88"

Rookie question

I'm trying to start a '72 Series 3. I get 12v to the coil and into the distributor but don't seem to be getting the coil to "fire". The coil wire is bad so I've tried using another coil wire to see if the coil is firing - no luck.

It's been along time since I've worked with points and condensors - any suggestions other than to buy a Toyota <G>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 24th, 2013, 03:00 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

clean the points.
Old April 24th, 2013, 03:47 PM
mgyip
Matthew
1972/Series 3 88"

Will do - the points, condesor and coil are new and I was hoping the points would be OK.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 24th, 2013, 03:52 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Hey- Welcome to the Board (Hoard)!
Old April 24th, 2013, 04:40 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Do you have spark at the plugs?
Old April 24th, 2013, 05:03 PM
mgyip
Matthew
1972/Series 3 88"

I'm doing all this at work so my tools are at home (and they're metric b/c I race VWs). I don't have spark from the coil - can't pull the plugs b/c I don't have the large-version plug wrench at work.

When I tested this morning, with the points open, I saw 12v from the coil, to distributor and across both sides of the points. This afternoon, I see no difference in voltage (0v) at the distributor. I'm going to replace the 16ga (estimated) wire from the coil to the side of the distibutor as the one that's there looks a bit vintage.
Old April 24th, 2013, 05:32 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Hand crankit. See if that works!
Old April 24th, 2013, 05:54 PM
mgyip
Matthew
1972/Series 3 88"

I used the crank to establish the points gap (which is incredibly handy) but haven't had the energy to try starting it that way. The battery is good (and a deep cycle, no less!!) so I'll be lazy until I can prove that it runs. Then I'll show off that I can start my old POS with a crank!!
Old April 24th, 2013, 06:12 PM
slorocco
Dan Prasada-Rao
1963, 109 Station Wagon

You get the POS started yet! I'll be heading out to Gore friday mid day. Should be pulling out of there sometime Sunday morning, I can swing by on my way home for a bit. Better plan is to get the thing started and bring it out to Ice Breakers. Throw it on the trailer and bring it out Saturday. We're gonna have some pork going in the smoker all day. Dinner is gonna be good man.
Old April 24th, 2013, 06:15 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Give it a go with the crank...could be generator related. Same issue with mine when I got it...as a couple of guys on here no all too well was a bad generator.
Old April 25th, 2013, 09:59 AM
ranewman
Rick Newman
85 Defender 110

Matt! Welcome to the chaos! I can't get up there this weekend....but I'm sure next week. Go ahead and trailer to Gore. Once a tow strap between the series and a Heep are attached....it will shame the series into starting.....
97 Disco SD "Emma" (250k and going strong)
95 P38 "Gus" RIP
99 P38 Callaway Edition #106 RIP
85 Defender 110 2.5NA "Margret"
01 D2 SE7 "Cuzn It" (blown up POS)
03 D2 SE "Fred"
Hoarder of 2.5 NAD parts
"In God we trust. Everyone else keep their fucking hands where they can be seen."
Old April 25th, 2013, 10:20 AM
mgyip
Matthew
1972/Series 3 88"

I brought a few more tools with me today and will give another go at the old LR. Yes, it's chaos but (and this scares the crap out of me) it almost makes sense so much unlike the new cars that require a computer and a "Technician" to diagnose and understand.

I have good reason to believe that the coil wire is bad. I'm having problems sourcing a replacement - I have to scour shops that still work on cars with a single coil and a distributor which is tough these days.

I'll try to get it loaded up and out to Gore on Sat. I have to work until 1400.
Old April 25th, 2013, 10:35 AM
slorocco
Dan Prasada-Rao
1963, 109 Station Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971Series88 View Post
Give it a go with the crank...could be generator related. Same issue with mine when I got it...as a couple of guys on here no all too well was a bad generator.

Would it make a difference if this was converted to an alternator. I don't remember a bad alternator preventing a start/spark unless you also had a dead battery.
Old April 28th, 2013, 09:11 AM
mgyip
Matthew
1972/Series 3 88"

It runs!!! Hauled it to a Hardrock Crawlers gathering where Dan, the main culprit in the reason why I bought one of these gems, happened to be hanging out.

I had more tools with me as well as his gear-head buddies. The fix? I pulled the points and condensor, regapping the points upon replacement. After that, it fired right up and runs like a champ - must have been the points gap...either that or it's just FM (magic).

We took the LR for a little ride around The Cove on some fire roads - the motor appears to be a replacement but it's surprisingly quiet. The transmission/transfer case whine, just like every other LR on the planet. Now to locate the brake light wires that have gone AWOL.
Old April 28th, 2013, 09:22 AM
evilfij
evilfij

2.25p sound like sewing machines with a stock exhaust. Very proper. Glad you got it sorted out.
Old April 29th, 2013, 12:24 AM
mgyip
Matthew
1972/Series 3 88"

Yes, you're the winner - I danced around regapping the points but didn't do so b/c I didn't have the proper tools. It only needs 2 screwdrivers BUT the 2-in-1 that I had was a Volkswagen tool-kit item and the flat-head tip wasn't sufficient enough to remove the points screw without hogging out the slot.

I finally brought the tools with me and made the next step with great success.

Now to track down questionable grounds (I know, shocking) - the gauges mostly worked yesterday after bouncing the LR around but at home on flat ground, they're inoperative again. At least I proved today that the crank will start it.

I'll take some photos when I'm home during daylight and the weather isn't cloudy and rainy.
Old April 29th, 2013, 12:32 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgyip View Post
Yes, you're the winner - I danced around regapping the points but didn't do so b/c I didn't have the proper tools. It only needs 2 screwdrivers BUT the 2-in-1 that I had was a Volkswagen tool-kit item and the flat-head tip wasn't sufficient enough to remove the points screw without hogging out the slot.

I finally brought the tools with me and made the next step with great success.

Now to track down questionable grounds (I know, shocking) - the gauges mostly worked yesterday after bouncing the LR around but at home on flat ground, they're inoperative again. At least I proved today that the crank will start it.

I'll take some photos when I'm home during daylight and the weather isn't cloudy and rainy.

Jeff doesn't need a prize! He's blessed enough!!
Old April 29th, 2013, 06:43 AM
slorocco
Dan Prasada-Rao
1963, 109 Station Wagon

You need to post pics of that funky front bumper. See if anyone else has any ideas on what those contraptions are that are welded on there. BTW, Matthew had a nice surprise in the back of the rover when it arrived. He got a PullPal with the truck.
Old April 29th, 2013, 09:10 AM
mgyip
Matthew
1972/Series 3 88"

Good idea - I'll take some photos this week and post them up. I'm very curious about the "gun sights" on the front bumper. If nothing else, that front bumper makes a very handy seat whilst working under the bonnet.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions