Rochester Monojet - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Old July 3rd, 2013, 04:43 PM
mgyip
Matthew
1972/Series 3 88"

Rochester Monojet

Anyone have one of these installed on their vehicle? I went to R&R the carb with a replacement Weber and discovered that the intake manifold on my LR has studs set further apart and with a larger intake port than for the Weber.

When I removed the existing carb (which was/is encrusted with a myriad of assorted crap), it's a Rochester Monojet. The name is even cast onto the body in case someone were confuse this single-barrel unit with a Quadra-Jet apparently. I've been snooping around for a rebuild kit of Fleabay and found that it'll be almost as inexpensive to replace the carb (under $100) so that I'll also have some spares.

I'm curious about why a Monojet would have been fitted (probably b/c it fits, yes, I know that ). Any thoughts on the intake manifold?

I know nothing of my LR's history other than it has likely been to the Arctic Circle. I'm not looking for originality but moreover, FUNCTIONALITY - something that seems to be overlooked quite a bit these days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 3rd, 2013, 05:05 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I have a Rochester on mine. Common conversion.
Old July 3rd, 2013, 05:11 PM
mgyip
Matthew
1972/Series 3 88"

That's good to know - now to find a "complete" manual choke version so I can source some bits and pieces for mine.

Do you have the manual choke hooked up on yours? If so, would you mind sending a photo of the linkage?

TEPO had the choke wired open so there's no bracketry. Before I start raiding my childhood Erector set, I figure a photo will point me in the right direction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 3rd, 2013, 06:16 PM
taoseno
Todd Kendrick
1995 D90 #2206 Original Owner

Registry
I run a single barrel Rochester w/ a 48 jet @ 7000 ft...........runs great
'95 D90 #2206
'66 109" P/U
Old July 3rd, 2013, 11:46 PM
LR Max
Thomason, Max
1973 Series 3 109

Running a Rochester carb with a #49 jet here at ~1000ft. REALLY good carb for a series 2.25 gasser engine.

Top tip: That tube that comes out of the top inside the carb, put a piece of hose on that to extend it. Will make things a lot better off road. Also rebuild kits are semi-readily available at any auto parts store (by semi, I mean you go in, order it, then pick it up next day).

Overall, better than the Weber 34ICH and any carb rover put on it from the factory.
Old July 4th, 2013, 12:41 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Choke on mine is a straight shot, but I understand there are a lot of different one barrel rochesters.
Old July 5th, 2013, 09:51 AM
mgyip
Matthew
1972/Series 3 88"

The choke on mine is a straight shot as well but there's nothing to secure the cable housing. That and I need the linkage from the choke plate to the high-idle cam.

Finding a rebuild kit for my particular Rochester is a bit of a trick - 7034001 doesn't appear anywhere - probably b/c my LR was originally Canadian, eh?
Old July 16th, 2013, 12:23 AM
Greg S
Greg Sutfin
1986 90

Wander into your local NAPA store or equivalent with your Rochester in your hand. Put it on the counter and tell them what you need. It is very common. If they don't have the parts, they might be able to direct you to an old time hot-rodder who will have the parts in a drawer under his bench. Don't ask the 18 year old pimply kid behind the counter, ask the old guy. These carbs were in almost everything GM built in the 1950's and in American Motors stuff and more well into the '60's. Very popular in hot rods and some race circuits due to race restriction regulations well into the 1970's.
Don't look for the parts at a Land Rover supplier, it's only owners that ever did the conversion and only in North America and maybe Australia.
Old July 16th, 2013, 10:57 AM
mgyip
Matthew
1972/Series 3 88"

I tried that - actually, I took pictures of the carb and the part number b/c I DID learn something from today's youths - photos are great, especially since I can expand the photo to actually SEE the carb number instead of having to guess b/c my eyes don't work like that anymore.

I live in a small town and while the girl at the parts store was under 50 yrs old, she did something that most counter-folk don't do anymore - she pulled out a book on Rochester carburetors to search for the number. I was astonished - I didn't think today's youths knew how to search for anything without a computer AND it it's not on Google, it must not be true.

The good news was that she confirmed that my carb does NOT exist for whatever reason. The better news is that I know a local hot-rodder who is also a master-master machinist who has played with this stuff for decades. Considering that he built his own turbo kit for a Hudson Hornet, I figure I'm in good hands when I visit him for "guidance".
Old July 16th, 2013, 11:47 AM
Greg S
Greg Sutfin
1986 90

All carbs are not created equal. The common replacement carb for Land Rover 2.25 petrol in the Rochester line is the "B" series carb. Looking at Google images, I don't think the "Monojet" carb is the same as the "B" sreies. That might be part of the problem. Over fuelled? Not enough air to operate the carb properly? What size engine is the Monojet designed for and what RPM would it have run?

Some of the things to consider.
Old July 16th, 2013, 03:01 PM
taoseno
Todd Kendrick
1995 D90 #2206 Original Owner

Registry
Perhaps I an running a 42 jet then @ 7,000 ft; been so long since I installed it long forgotten. I do remember picking up a kit w/ all the different jet sizes............
'95 D90 #2206
'66 109" P/U
Old July 18th, 2013, 09:13 PM
TeriAnn
Teriann Wakeman
1960 Dormobile

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Choke on mine is a straight shot, but I understand there are a lot of different one barrel rochesters.
Yep they were used on different size engines over the years.

Here's a web page I wrote a decade or so ago:

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/..._rochester.htm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions