Roasted overdrive - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Old November 26th, 2011, 08:57 AM
red64chevelle
Daniel Smith
86 110 300TDI,16 Disco Sport

Registry
Roasted overdrive

Well, my new rover has made it about 75 miles. I had to get a flat bed out last night to get her to my sister-in-laws house. The overdrive started to make some very unhappy noises. Then it would not engage the overdrive, but I still had power in regular. But after a bit of that it started to make noises and I called it quits.

Under the truck there was oil spray, and the overdrive was hot.

Can I un-overdrive the truck to get her back on the road?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 26th, 2011, 09:13 AM
bstraw
Byron Straw
1994 POE/ST

You can get installation instructions for the Faiery OD here, they all have the same general concept as far as installation/un-installation goes. http://www.lrfaq.org/Series/FaireyOv...ManualPg7.html
I would take the OD unit out but leave all of the levers and other "stuff." Just remove the OD unit and put the bearing housing plate back on, drive it for a bit to make sure there are no issues with the transmission or transfer case, and if not, dive into the overdrive.
Cheers
Old November 26th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bstraw
You can get installation instructions for the Faiery OD here, they all have the same general concept as far as installation/un-installation goes. http://www.lrfaq.org/Series/FaireyOv...ManualPg7.html
I would take the OD unit out but leave all of the levers and other "stuff." Just remove the OD unit and put the bearing housing plate back on, drive it for a bit to make sure there are no issues with the transmission or transfer case, and if not, dive into the overdrive.
Cheers
Not sure about the Fairey ODs, but with the Warn/Saturn units you have to put the stock tcase input gear back in after you take out the OD. Sounds like you may have lost fluid to the OD and perhaps the tcase. ODs are so damn finicky I provide no warranty on them in customer trucks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 26th, 2011, 10:28 AM
1962siia88
Daniel Rogers
1962siia88

Registry
Its pretty much standard operating procedure with an overdrive to have the stock tcase gear in your spares along with the rear cover and maybe even the tool to tighten the nut that holds everything on the mainshaft. So maybe you have them in your truck? With out the gear or cover you wont be able to drive the rig. Without the tool it may be tough to get the clutch sleeve (the thing that replaces the stock gear) out. You can make the tool by grinding down a 32mm socket so it has teeth to grab the nut on the mainshaft. Look on ebay for rover overdrive tool and you'll get a picture of the tool. When making your own tool you really only need 4-6 teeth to grab the nut.

If you dont have the gear I'm 99% certain that it was the same in all the variations of the series transfercase so should be easy to find one close to you. The cover can be found in steel or aluminum but they all bolt up.

What type of overdrive was it? Sorry you had trouble.

Daniel
Old November 26th, 2011, 10:43 AM
red64chevelle
Daniel Smith

Registry
I think it is a Fairly overdrive. I don't have any of the non-overdrive parts. I can ask Tom what type it is. Right now, I am going to take the train back to RI from Philly. I will grab the truck and trailer and bring her back that way.
Old November 26th, 2011, 10:49 AM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Which over drive is it? I have an over drive for a LT95.

Old November 26th, 2011, 11:10 AM
red64chevelle
Daniel Smith

Registry
I am not sure which overdrive it is. It has an alluminum case with fins on the bottom.

If anybody has a line on a trans cover and the other un-converting parts, let me know.
Old November 26th, 2011, 11:34 AM
1962siia88
Daniel Rogers
1962siia88

Registry
Someone will have them close to you. I'd post up on the wanted section. I have them to loan temporarily but I'm in California and would want them back. If you cant find them let me know.

Daniel
Old November 26th, 2011, 12:14 PM
red64chevelle
Daniel Smith

Registry
Looking at the pictures in the installation manual, it certainly looks like a Fairly unit. I will make a post in the parts wanted section and see what happens.
Old December 4th, 2011, 09:07 AM
s3landy
Mike Wallace

Check the Guns and Rovers board. There is one for sale in Maine.

Mike
Old December 5th, 2011, 10:49 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Daniel so this is the ROVERS club truck that got raffled off and you won ? You only made it 75 miles before catostrophic failure ? Bummer- hopefully one of the guys in that club can offer some assistance since the truck is still in PA and broken.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old December 5th, 2011, 11:02 AM
red64chevelle
Daniel Smith

Registry
Yep, thats the one Doug. It made it all the way into NJ, but I didn't want to do any more damage. I am still really stoked about the truck, it is in great shape. I knew that there would be teething problems. After all, I was probably over optimistic about a trip from PA to RI that was doubling as a "shake-down" run.

Tom from the ROVERS club has been down south, but has offered help also.

We replaced some front suspension parts on my buddies Chevy 2500HD over the weekend, so it is back in operation.

Over the holiday stand-down we will go down and fetch the series.
Old December 5th, 2011, 11:45 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Quote:
Well, my new rover has made it about 75 miles.
That's twice as far as a Fairey overdrive will usually go! What are you complaining about?

If you do get it repaired, buy a second one to keep on hand for the next time. There WILL be a next time...
Oh and the end plate for the TC as well so you can at least take the OD off and still keep driving (slowly)

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old December 5th, 2011, 05:04 PM
red64chevelle
Daniel Smith

Registry
I have received a couple of offers for re-built units. I will probably wait until the right (cheap) one comes along.

Matt from Overland sent me the t-case cover and gear, so next time I am able to make it to NJ, I can get her running again.
Old December 5th, 2011, 06:18 PM
JBinAlabama
john
Series 2A ..more parts on the way

the "lucky winner"
that is a bummer, BUT its COOL truck for the price of a ticket!
Old December 6th, 2011, 05:01 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by red64chevelle View Post
Over the holiday stand-down we will go down and fetch the series.
Glad you guys on toledo get some time off to see the sun etc. If you see "old Nav" around Groton tell him I said hi.
Find any more cracks in the pressure hull ? He sent me pictures of those back in 09 as well as the repair. pretty cool stuff.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old December 6th, 2011, 07:10 PM
red64chevelle
Daniel Smith

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
Glad you guys on toledo get some time off to see the sun etc. If you see "old Nav" around Groton tell him I said hi.
Find any more cracks in the pressure hull ? He sent me pictures of those back in 09 as well as the repair. pretty cool stuff.
I see "old Nav" all the time, but now I call him "Ops". No more cracks yet, so the water has been staying out of the people tank.

I will be leaving her myself soon. Going to the great land of shore duty in February. I am staying in Groton though.
Old December 6th, 2011, 09:09 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
A $100 rover is like a free puppy, as the old saying goes

http://dogs.about.com/od/becomingado...costofdogs.htm

congrats on the truck, hope you sort out the OD issues

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions