Defender Source Forum banner

Question on value... Pics https://imgur.com/a/v9tgx

Tags
ht
1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  awltoga 
#1 ·
I am in the process of putting up my truck for sale. This is not intended as being a sales thread so please do not interpret it as such. I just don't really have a good idea of value because I tend to see completely beat Series trucks or completely restored trucks. This is in between those two...clearly more towards "well loved/unloved" side of the spectrum.

Any input would be very much so appreciated. I do not drive it as much as I should and I have a ton of other things/commitments going on.

76 RHD S3 '88
Clear Title/Insured and on the Road.

Since I have owned it (4 Years...I think)

-New tires (5)
-New RN-Proline Fuel Pump
-New Brakes
-New Shocks
-Took Bed Off and POR'd the frame from the bulkhead back
-Old tabs were rusted on the frame-Welded 3 new ones
-New RN Driver Side outrigger -Welded on
-New "under bed support thingy" -J. Craddock
-New Footwells -J. Craddock
-New Passenger Seat box side -Riveted in -RN
-New Seats (no Rails) -J. Cradock
-TD5 Snorkel (not finished inside, just attached)
-Hitch Receiver Welded on and wired...Only towed a small 1 axle trailer around the corner to dump stuff in storage.
-Rebuilt FAIREY OVERDRIVE (purchased here)

New Not Installed
-RN Interior Door Panels & Rear Door
-Warn Winch BNIB
-Hi-Lift Jack

Engine Runs Great and Transmission shifts as it should. This is a truck where I would be comfortable driving a few hundred miles on back roads cruising. Temp has never been an issue. H/L and 4wd work as should. Front Locking Hubs.

It has been mostly driven in town and gotten up to 60 on back roads...straight roads...clearly.:eek:

Issues/Problems

-Leak from gasket where I installed the Overdrive, needs a new gasket.
-Rear End leak
-Small engine pan/seal leak...not sure where.
-Rust on bulkhead as pictured. I have not taken off the dash but, you can see there is rust, but I do not believe it is unrepairable.
-Frame has had rust repair before me. From the bulkhead back has been coated in POR the front rails have not yet.
-Needs finishing
-Body

Thank you in advance and I appreciate any insight.

Pictures

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
While S3 does not command the same money as an S2, it's still a Series and they are becoming more dear with each passing day.
Without a personal inspection, I can only guess, so my numbers are not based on facts.
Beater basket case in need of full resto: $5000-8000
Running driving beater: $7000-12000
Running driving not a beater, straight panels nothing torn up: 12-25
Running driving looking pretty good needing minor touch up: 15-35
Running driving mechanically sound looking good needs nothing but unrestored: 25-45
Dead perfect low miles unrestored: 50-75
Restored to day-one condition: 75-100.

Looked at pics. I would classify this as a running driving beater. No offense to you as caretaker, but it needs a lot of expensive time consuming repairs to major body components. It would be towards the low end of my range above.

#4 ·
Thank you for taking the time to write up those ranges. Absolutely, no offense taken. I haven't been the best "caretaker". It has been garaged since I had it, and it was not on the road when I bought it, and I have tried to shore up some of the immediate issues, but it clearly needs a lot of attention to do it correctly. I completely agree with the Running Driving Beater category, I'm not delusional...like some of these 912 owners out there now.:confused:)

Thank you again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.