PTO winches - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Old September 19th, 2014, 04:36 PM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

PTO winches

I have a couple Series PTO winches. Though this a bit premature, one is from an older '64 II-a in moderate condition. With a little love, could be a 8.5/10. Conversely, the other one is off the '70 II-a, 30k miles, and looks brand new.
So, the questions:
-What are they worth?
-Should I bother mounting one on the restored '70 II-a? Check my for sale page to see teaser pics of the truck.
-Is there any demand for these?

Thanks once again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 19th, 2014, 09:41 PM
Contractor
Will
1969 IIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovertrader View Post
I have a couple Series PTO winches. Though this a bit premature, one is from an older '64 II-a in moderate condition. With a little love, could be a 8.5/10. Conversely, the other one is off the '70 II-a, 30k miles, and looks brand new.
So, the questions:
-What are they worth?
-Should I bother mounting one on the restored '70 II-a? Check my for sale page to see teaser pics of the truck.
-Is there any demand for these?

Thanks once again.

I don't see pictures of the winches in the sale adds, but I might be interested.

Can you send me pictures please?

Do you know what they are?
Old September 20th, 2014, 05:41 AM
rovertrader
Dale

Will PM your email. I am not sure, but will get all the details and pics as requested.
Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 20th, 2014, 11:22 AM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
They are rare, but the small bits, and especially the PTO/transfercase bits are the rarest, and basically impossible to reproduce. If you have all the parts to install a working winch on a truck, then yeah, valuable. It's a matter of your taste wether you install a winch. If you are actually going to be doing off road self recovery, then I would say, save the PTO winch and install a modern electric winch. If you have some land and will use the winch in a more utility role, then the PTO is great. A PTO winch is also two more gearboxes to leak oil.

I'm a semi originality, restored, period correct rover-phile so I would hate to see one of these abused (heavy off-road use) but on the other hand, mount it and use it around the yard, random jobs, occasional self recovery etc -that would be awesome, way better than leaving it on a shelf.

If you are building a truck back to original spec (or close to it) then hell yeah install the winch! Nothing cooler than a PTO winch. Another thing to think about is wether or not you want to run an overdrive in your truck. With a rearmount PTO, you lose the OD spot, but If you have a bottom mount PTO then yeah, you can have both (I think.. not sure about all the levers fitting?)

overall a good dilemma to have.

~Steve
Old September 20th, 2014, 03:47 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

The Koenig PTO driven winch is quite valuable. They sell for $800-1200 complete. I have a spare PTO box and a complete one. The crank driven Koenig commands more money, but is less useful in my view. As long as they are properly set up with a sheer pin and have oil in them, they are very robust and I would have not problem using them hard without fear. Capstan win are cool, but sort of useless for anything harder than light recovery.
Old September 28th, 2014, 09:00 PM
rovertrader
Dale

Will came by Saturday, and took the Koenig crank driven winch. It needs some TLC, but everything seemed to be moving, and he was optimistic he could get it cleaned up and in working order.

Thanks for your help Ron!! The other one is pristine....

Old September 28th, 2014, 09:05 PM
Contractor
Will
1969 IIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovertrader View Post
Will came by Saturday, and took the Koenig crank driven winch. It needs some TLC, but everything seemed to be moving, and he was optimistic he could get it cleaned up and in working order.

Thanks for your help Ron!! The other one is pristine....
Thanks Dale, it was nice meeting you.........you have a great place and some great trucks.

I'll update this thread when I have a chance to pull it apart and get things going again.
Old September 28th, 2014, 09:44 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I will say the crank driven koenig is the coolest looking winch there is. Ike has/had a reproduction of the dog for the crank if that has gone missing. The crank driven winch also lets you keep your overdrive.
Old September 28th, 2014, 09:47 PM
Contractor
Will
1969 IIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
I will say the crank driven koenig is the coolest looking winch there is. Ike has/had a reproduction of the dog for the crank if that has gone missing. The crank driven winch also lets you keep your overdrive.
We actually got the dog off of the crank pulley so I have that part. Not having to give up my OD was pretty important for me, I drive a good bit on the highway and the OD is huge.
Old September 29th, 2014, 03:01 PM
rovertrader
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contractor View Post
Thanks Dale, it was nice meeting you.........you have a great place and some great trucks.

I'll update this thread when I have a chance to pull it apart and get things going again.
Thanks Will- great meeting you as well, and appreciate you sharing your 88- and Series knowledge. Let me know when is a good time to come down and visit Charlie's hideaway ;-)

Cheers

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Tags
winch