Problem shifting gears - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Old December 28th, 2011, 07:39 PM
red64chevelle
Daniel Smith
86 110 300TDI,16 Disco Sport

Registry
Problem shifting gears

So, I have been driving the Series around (without the OD now) and have developed a problem. Sometimes it will not want to go into first or second, and sometimes after going through first and second, it will not go into third or fourth. Although the shifter is moving about, it is really just stuck in second.

Are there any parts to replace, or adjustments I need to make?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 28th, 2011, 09:47 PM
LRover
J. Michael McCaig
D90 ST, LR110, Series IIa, RRC

if I remember right, the Series 3 has a nylon ball at the bottom of the shifter that can come off allowing the lever to move around a lot and preventing you from getting it all the way in gear. From what you describe that may be the problem. You will probably have to remove the tunnel cover to check it. Also check your clutch adjustment and gearbox oil level.
Old January 1st, 2012, 07:08 PM
red64chevelle
Daniel Smith
86 110 300TDI,16 Disco Sport

Registry
It was the shifter. The ball at the end was worn so that when I was going from 2nd to 3rd, it was jumping over without shifting out of 2nd.

Either way, a new shifter is on order, and until then I know how to shift it without failing.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions