Preventative care: protection and communication - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Old June 24th, 2011, 01:49 PM
isleofman
Lee Davis
'95 D90 "BeastLee"

Preventative care: protection and communication

ok, so I need advice on how to protect a Series IIA while offroading. We've recently graduated from logging roads to REAL trails! Heehaa. LOVE offroading and can see my son and I pursuing this bank emptying activity for many more years. So...we need to think about protection and communication and prioritize what needs to be done first. Recovery gear will have to and can wait for now. We've found some awesome guys willing to babysit, teach and haul our sorry butts outta trouble if need be. Eventually though, once the important stuff is taken care of, we'll do winches etc.

So, here are my questions:
1. what would you recommend I do first and where is the best place to buy? Maybe someone here has that they want to sell?
2. CB radios. compact, small, no frills. Just solid and will get the job done. Don't want to spend $$$ on something fancy that isn't necessary.
3. Antennas - type? where is the best place to mount? There is an old mount on the back of the truck so maybe we can just use that? Not sure on compatibility etc?
I have done some research on the CB radios so know a little bit but am keen to hear your thoughts.

Can't wait to get this taken care of so we can wheel safely! .THANKS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	alice2.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	39862   Click image for larger version

Name:	055.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	39863  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4024.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	39864  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 24th, 2011, 01:57 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
There's also the FRS radio route, like the Midland GMRS/FRS 50+ channel waterproof handhelds. Can be used for when you go skiing and stuff, portable, etc.
Old June 24th, 2011, 02:00 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Lee,

Cobra makes a CB radio that's very compact... the problem is that you'll need a 12V connector.

http://www.amazon.com/Cobra-75WXST-4...8938335&sr=1-1

I went cheap on mine and got these parts:

http://www.amazon.com/Cobra-28377200...8938396&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.com/BROWNING-BR-MM...938199&sr=8-19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 24th, 2011, 03:10 PM
isleofman
Lee Davis
'95 D90 "BeastLee"

I'm really liking the hand held option!! Makes sense for the little old truck! Protection: How about the working parts that can sustain damage going over rougher terrain? While we don't plan on being hard core or doing anything stupid, stuff happens. I'd rather spend a few $$$ on protection than $$$$$$$$ on repairs and having to find parts. Since we bought her, we've put so much time, blood, sweat and tears, not to mention money into getting the truck back on her wheels. It just seems stupid not to do what we can to keep her going. 1 kid down and 2 to go who still need to learn how to drive!!

This may seem like a dumb question but is there even anything available as far as protection goes for the older trucks?? I don't think I've ever seen one sporting something along these lines? We did a beginner trail last weekend and Shawn caught the bottom of the truck on a biggish rock - it was unavoidable which is why i'm investigating.
Old June 24th, 2011, 04:19 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Lee, I'd look at what Ike Goss at pangolin 4x4 has to offer for sliders and a heavy duty bumper.

http://www.pangolin4x4.com/

He has some really nice galvanized stuff!
Old June 24th, 2011, 04:51 PM
1962siia88
Daniel Rogers
1962siia88

Registry
As far as communication goes I would strongly suggest getting your ham radio lic. The Techinician class is very easy to get and cheap handheld radios can be found used on craigslist often. The cb sucks on the trail compared to ham in my opinion, although much better than nothing if you are in very close proximity to others with cb's. I keep both ham and cb in my rig. You dont even need the license to use the ham radio in case of emergency. I had one with me just in case before I had my license. Study the online tests for a while until you can pass them and then go take the real test. Worth the time IMHO. I have a yaesu ft-7900 and a cobra nightwatch 29. Also have a uniden pc55 that I find works better than the cobra. The cb antenna is a firestick. I keep planning to get a ht ham radio too but haven't done so yet.

The ham is just a whole different ball game and can be helpful when groups split up. In April on a rover trip we had two groups go different ways. We planned to meet up later. A rrc in our group got stuck in the snow (then his winch cable snapped ) which meant we were going to be late. The ham radios kept us in touch with the other group and they didn't have to come looking for us blindly.

Have fun!

Daniel
kj6iqq
Old June 24th, 2011, 05:09 PM
isleofman
Lee Davis
'95 D90 "BeastLee"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Lee, I'd look at what Ike Goss at pangolin 4x4 has to offer for sliders and a heavy duty bumper.

http://www.pangolin4x4.com/

He has some really nice galvanized stuff!

WOW, thanks!! What a great site. This is very helpful.
Old June 24th, 2011, 05:12 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Yes it is. I have vowed to never wheel my series, but if I ever do, he'll be my first stop!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Tags
event