Parabolics - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Old November 17th, 2014, 09:25 PM
UKmtrsp
Chip
95 RR Classic

Parabolics

Just finished installing a set of Parabolics from Rocky Mountain for a customer. What a difference in ride quality.

The customer opted not to replace the stock shocks as of yet but thats coming as it will not only improve the ride further it will also increase the travel by 2".

The only negative at this point is the increased stance has caused a little to much angle on the driveshaft at the rear. Vibration only noticeable at highway speed. Hope to solve this with possible diff angle adjustment and a double cardon shaft.

Pictures tomorrow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 17th, 2014, 11:10 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Gotta be something else. Many many peeps have done this without worrying about prop shaft angles. Me included.
Old November 17th, 2014, 11:58 PM
aka rover
ed angel
95 D90

Registry
I have done plenty of the paras with no issues . Are you running 3 or 4 leaf rears ? 88 or 109 ?.
My experience with those springs is give them some time and they will settle a fair bit . I have
Started using the springs rovers north sells , they are made in the UK and don't seem to settle as much . Rocky Mountains where made in India or ? Someplace like that last time I checked .
67 NADA diesel tremec 4spd salisbury rear springs on front and a LOT MORE TO GO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 18th, 2014, 07:01 AM
ezzzzzzz
Mark Garrenton
Too many here or gone to list here

I ran TIConsole parabolics on my 88" using the 109 springs in the rear. Coupled to better shocks these provided a ride comparable to coil springs and a lot more vehicle control. Prior I had run RM springs which faded in arch and the bushings would slide in the eyelets causing a sound similar to a shotgun firing in each curve. It was frustrating but a drive through the 'hood' provided entertainment. I can only assume that RM got their quality together after all these years.
Old November 18th, 2014, 07:29 AM
UKmtrsp
Chip
95 RR Classic

Time will tell. 2 leaf springs front and rear on this truck. It may need a third leaf on the front as its got a PTO winch and spare on the hood. The rear is light as there is only a canvas top and no plans to re-install the hardtop. The suggested Pro-comp shocks are on the way.
Old November 18th, 2014, 08:34 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
pro comp shocks are horrible. There is a reason they are one of the cheapest shocks on the market.
The compression dampening is almost non existent. They do have some (but not enough) rebound dampening.
Ran a set on a 110 for several hundred miles and gave them away, selling them would have been theft.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old November 18th, 2014, 08:53 AM
UKmtrsp
Chip
95 RR Classic

Doug,

Any suggestions for this application. No doubt I should have checked with you earlier. Given the added ride height I would assume it would need a 2" extended travel shock on the rear. Possibly stock travel on the front. Thanks
Old November 18th, 2014, 08:55 AM
LR Max
Thomason, Max
1973 Series 3 109

Pro-comp = all the other white body shocks out there. Cheap and work for a short bit of time. However they aren't durable and ride like crap.

I'm running OME N41 and N46 on my 109. Overall I'm happy with them. I ran the bushings out of them but the shocks are still good.

Overall I am unhappy with my RM springs. The drivers front sags if the truck sits. If I flex out the truck a few times, then it comes back

But yeah, these aftermarket springs are a lot better than the stock leafs both in terms of ride and off road.
Old November 18th, 2014, 09:24 AM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
pro comp shocks are horrible. There is a reason they are one of the cheapest shocks on the market.
The compression dampening is almost non existent. They do have some (but not enough) rebound dampening.
Ran a set on a 110 for several hundred miles and gave them away, selling them would have been theft.
Couldn't agree more. But the TF all terrains aren't much better.
Old November 18th, 2014, 10:07 AM
giftshopduane
Chris luciano
72 Series 3 88"

The change in height shouldn't be significant enough to affect the driveshaft, certainly not enough to warrant a 2x cardon. Plus after a short period they will settle a bit further lower the ride height. I would make sure the U joints are up to snuff. Then I would look at the slip yoke.
Old November 18th, 2014, 10:23 AM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
x2, OMEs or Bilsteins are my vote.
Old November 18th, 2014, 12:01 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
I have experience with parabolics from RM and TIConsole, both on my 109. The two leaf fronts are really the only option available without going a custom route. There is no three leaf product offered that I have ever seen. The two leafs are invariably just a little soft for a series truck with a heavy winch on the front.

You will lose a little height but you will still have better travel than the stock springs.

NEVER use the stock shocks. they don't even use gas and will foam quickly under the increased oscillation of the parabolic springs, causing a dangerous condition. Toss them out and go with the OME's.

Theres is no Bilstein option for rear shocks on a series truck without modifing the shock mounts. OME's are the way to go. My 109 now has Bilstein fronts and OME rears/ The Bilstein rears sold to me (and subsequently replaced for free by a reputable vendor) were too long and literally exploded on compression.

I have heard others report U-joint problems in the rear of series LR's using the parabolics. Those problems may go away after some time, as springs wear and start to sag. Before going double cardan etc, make sure that the pinion pre-load is correct and that the u-bolts and busing eye bolts are properly torqued and the drive shaft is properly phased and the bolts tight and the u joints in good condition with no perceptible play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstrubl View Post
x2, OMEs or Bilsteins are my vote.
Old November 18th, 2014, 12:45 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Do you have check straps on the rear axle? My foggy recollection of my parabolic experience tells me that with the ridiculous 4 leaf rear springs, combined with the long military shackles, made getting the check strap on there impossible. I had some kind of black body shocks...maybe Woodheads (gaHH!) that failed to keep the back end from prancing about like a scalded chicken. Every bump the rear end would almost come off the pavement. The fronts however, were only a little taller than stock (again, mil shackles) so the shocks weren't topped out, but it was close.
All in all a rather disappointing dealio with Ti Console paras, mainly due to my ignorance but also cz they were so darn stiff. The long wheelbase kept the drive angle from being too severe. Front was fine. I had bought wedges for adjusting the pinion angle but never used them.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old November 18th, 2014, 01:01 PM
xplorUtah
Andrew P
1960 SII

Registry
Just rode in friends 88 with paras(unknown brand) with bilsteins he got from local shop. Said the shocks were actually for an fj40. Rode very very nice going over car killer speed bumps. No chance to go off-road yet.
1997 D90 SW #2496

"Fear profits man nothing"

1997 D90 SW #2139 Portofino Sold
1995 D90 ST #2445 Beluga Black Sold
1995 RRC SWB Beluga Black Sold
1986 110 200TDI "1 of 1" Sold
Old November 18th, 2014, 01:35 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Anyone ever ran Parabolics with extended front frame horns? (88 rears in the front)

-Jeff
I have a friend who runs regular 88 rears in the front. The ride is softer than my 90, which is soft for a 90. If you clean up the stock springs to get rid of the interleave friction, they flex very well.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old November 18th, 2014, 01:35 PM
rwollschlager
Rob Wollschlager
72 SIII 88

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezzzzzzz View Post
Prior I had run RM springs which faded in arch and the bushings would slide in the eyelets causing a sound similar to a shotgun firing in each curve.
is that what that is? I have 2 109's, and 1 88, all with para's, and old one of the 109's makes that noise around corners. I have never heard of anyone else having the same problem. Is there a way to make it go away/stop?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Tags
parabolics