Parabolic springs or Original leaf springs - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Old May 27th, 2011, 11:39 PM
Arrington
Jason
series II 1966

Parabolic springs or Original leaf springs

Hello,

I am looking for some help on what springs to use. I am up in the air on redoing my original leaf springs or buying a set of parabolic springs. I have a spring guy that can redo original leafs that has been doing it for over 40 years. He knows his stuff very well. But some people like the parabolic springs for smoother ride.

So should i redo my old leafs? Or buy parabolic springs and if so which place here in the states has the best parabolic springs.

My land rover is a 1966 series IIA 88 all original. Its going to be driven in a small town most of the time, and will see the mountains maybe once a year. Will eventually put roof rack on, and will not ever be loaded down a big amount.

Any help or opinoins will be appreciated thanks, Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 28th, 2011, 08:46 AM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

RoversNorth, WiseOwl (Canada), I know of off the top of my head that sells parabolics. Ill let others argue the pros and cons of the two types of springs. When I finally change out my springs I am going with parabolics.
Old May 28th, 2011, 10:45 AM
1962siia88
Daniel Rogers
1962siia88

Registry
Hey there:

I ran rocky mountain parabolics on my rig and was very happy with them. I had two leaf front and three leaf rears on my 88" sw.

I sold them to my neighbor who runs a truck cab on his 88" and he had rear drive shaft issues with these springs and needed to place a 2 degree (iirc) wedge under the axle to correct pinion angles.

How much does your guy charge to fix up the old springs?

Daniel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 28th, 2011, 09:22 PM
Arrington
Jason
series II 1966

He told me around a 150.00 a pair.
Old May 29th, 2011, 12:55 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Parabolics are leaps and bounds more comfortable than stock.
Old June 1st, 2011, 12:33 PM
Troys
Troy Smith
1995 D90 SW

Jason - I replaced the springs on my 1971 SIIa with parabolic springs manaufactered by T.I. Console in conjunction with Koni shocks. Poly bushes and all. I was very very happy with the set up and ride. I had several friends who replaced their stock springs several times over the period of time I had my set up. I have since sold the truck but those same Koni shocks and T.I. Console springs are nowhere near needing replacement. My latest project is also a 1966 SIIa. I just installed Haystees (formerly T.I. Console) parabolic springs, Bilstein Shocks, poly bushes with the greasible shackle bolts from Great Basin Rovers. Hands down the finest Series suspension set up IMHO. All that to say this, parpabolics get my vote. Keep in mind that not all parabolics are built to meet the same standard.

Good luck!

Troy

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Tags
original