Painting a series... powdercoating? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Old August 26th, 2011, 11:33 AM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

Painting a series... powdercoating?

I'm nearing the painting stage for my series 1. Going RAF blue (thanks for the input).

I was going to spray it myself, but after spraying the ambulance I'm thinking I will just pay someone else to do it... mainly to minimize my chemical exposure but also because I want this one to look good!

I have been going to some local paint shops to get a quote but everyone will only spray water based paint with a clear coat. They all state that a single stage that is CA VOC compliant has to a have clearcoat. I dont want a clear coat.... I hate clear coats.

So I'm thinking about powder coating. Daniel on this forum has some of his 88in body panels powder coated and it looks great. He was in a small accident and it bent with the panel well and chipped similar to paint. Another buddy has a series 1 that looks incredible with all powder coated panels.

Any thoughts on powdercoating? It seems like a good option and is similar in price. It is all on pieces so no problem there. Color matching in the future could be a problem if there is damage.... any other potential problems?
thanks
-steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 26th, 2011, 11:45 AM
JBinAlabama
john
Series 2A ..more parts on the way

Sounds like a great idea!
We are still deciding on a color......well my son is anyway!

let us know what you decide!
Old August 26th, 2011, 11:57 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Powder coat gets scratched up and looks like ass. Can't compound or buff it out. It's melted plastic fer crissakes.
Water based paints need clear coat because they flash off so fast that they dry all nubbly. Clear coating smooths out the crappy appearance. Difficult to repair in the field.
You can get spectacular results at home rolling and brush tipping Awlgrip or Interlux Perfection. Both paints will endure abuse, UV, and retain their good looks for many many years. Fumes aren't a problem using this method.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	awlgripchart.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	41370   Click image for larger version

Name:	Interlux paint card.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	41371  

Click image for larger version

Name:	awlgripchart2.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	41372  

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 26th, 2011, 12:25 PM
D90user
steve

thanks for the input.

If you sprayed multiple coats of waterbased base could you sand/buff it smooth?

Do other states not have VOC regulations? I could take the body parts to Nevada....
Old August 26th, 2011, 12:28 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Icon powdercoats their trucks and they look awesome. Call them up. I know they use a local shop and will put you in the right direction.
Old August 26th, 2011, 02:03 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
I would have to second the opinion that it will be a major chore to touch up. If a panel gets dinged up it will need to be completely removed from the vehicle and thrown back into the oven to cure the new Powdercoat. Whereas paint can just be masked off to repair. It might depend on how and where you intend to use the vehicle.
Old August 26th, 2011, 02:16 PM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

Icon uses Andrews; http://www.powdercoater.com/index.html
Personally,I would not powdercoat a truck for many reasons including some not already mentioned.
Old August 26th, 2011, 02:52 PM
D90user
steve

The use of the truck will be a DD with some trail use. I dont need it to be a princess but I dont want it to look like crap either. I'm putting a lot of work, galvanizing and what not but I want to use the truck.

I would not mind having to take a panel off to fix it... the problem I see is that it would have to match in color and fade may be a problem.

Does powder coat scratch easier? For some reason I thought it would be harder. I never buff scratches out anyway.
Old August 26th, 2011, 07:35 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

If you watch one of the icon videos they talk about their coating and how durable it is.
Old September 10th, 2011, 12:30 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
do some research-there are many different grades and qualities of powder coat. A company here locally had a marine anti fouling powdercoat they were doing boat shafts and wheels with-ie it had chemicals in it that prevent marine growth. there are epoxy based powders etc. Powder coat is as diverse as paint.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Tags
paint, series