Now what do I do - chassis number - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Old November 29th, 2014, 08:05 PM

1980 Series III 109 Diesel

Now what do I do - chassis number

Well, here I sit with my Series III 109 diesel RHD. I purchased from a guy in California, where it has a clear title and shipped back East. I take my title and prepare to look for the number on the vehicle so to show my not so friendly DMV and I can't find the number anywhere. Both front horns look to be in better than good shape. I haven't tried grinding off the paint yet but I really think they are bare. No plate inside the cabin or on the bulkhead.

Now that I've studied up I've discovered the number on the title is a chassis number, but the truck lists as an '81 - so should have a VIN. Also, the number I have is for a 6 cyl petrol - but engines do get swapped so not overly concerned there.

So, what do I do? I know if I try to go to my state, or California and give them my story my truck is gone. Now, it's pretty ugly - it's not like it's a show truck. Its conceivable that over the years a plate went missing and no one noticed or cared. One thing that I loved, but now concerns me is his last cost of paint was brushed on, over military green. But the base color is kind of an emerald green.

Yeah, I could order a plate I suppose but that's just wrong and besides, they see a new plate on an old beater that will stick out like a sore thumb.

I was told it was imported in the late 80's and has been in California since it got here. Any chance I can ask California for a history without raising flags? What should I do to get this truck titled and tagged? I spent too much already on this thing - it's not like I can just buy another truck. And while he's not much to look at, he runs great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 29th, 2014, 09:25 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

PM sent..
Old November 30th, 2014, 10:07 AM
Contractor
Will
1969 IIA

You're registering in SC, right?

Which DMV is giving you grief about matching a VIN number on the Chassis to the Title?

Drive to Columbia DMV, fill out the Form 400, produce your clear California Title, wait in line 10 minutes and walk out with a new title.

Your front frame horns were probably replaced at some point in time.

I have titled a half a dozen Series trucks in SC from out of state and out of country with ease.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 30th, 2014, 10:10 AM

No we've moved to Florida where they do physical than checks on out-of-state used vehicles. I haven't taken it up there yet I just know that they do from when I registered my regular newer car. They don't do the physical check in South Carolina. If I were still thereit wouldn't be an issue and I've never figure it out until I went to move. I still have a home in South Carolina and address even though I changed my drivers license I could probably get away with titling and tagging the vehicle there, but eventually it's going to have to leave the state of South Carolina and get titled and registered in Florida.
Old November 30th, 2014, 10:20 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-to...set-60670.html
Old November 30th, 2014, 10:36 AM
javelinadave
-
-

Have you contacted the previous owner about this? It was registered in California, the state that has health warnings regarding it air quality in every jetway at every airport in its state. Certainly somebody there inspected the VIN at one point.
Old November 30th, 2014, 10:58 AM
Contractor
Will
1969 IIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
Kinda what I was thinking.

Register it in SC for now, when you are forced to register in Florida the stamps will have aged enough to make them look old.
Old November 30th, 2014, 11:15 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

or age it yourself...
Old November 30th, 2014, 02:59 PM

I have spoken to the previous owner and he's been very helpful. He's only have the truck a couple of years and decided that Landys art for him. He doesn't know much about the truck all you did was take the title that was Ardea California title and went and titled it to himwhen he purchased it.

------ Follow up post added November 30th, 2014 03:00 PM ------

Now that whole stamping it myself, I'm just not totally comfortable doing that. But I am actually going back to South Carolina week after next and that might be my best option to title it there for now as they don't do a Physical VIN check.
Old November 30th, 2014, 08:28 PM
REDrum
Niall Johnson
1970 Series IIA 88 - Sandstone

Registry
FWIW....I just went thru something similar with a series truck I sold to someone. New owner tried to reg it in FLA but RMV in the sunshine state discovered there was a "A" at the end of the chassis number on the frame, but it was missing from the Mass issued title. FLA said NFW will it be registered without a corrected title. I had the "A" verified by local law enforcement via affidavit. Mass accepted of it and processed new Mass title which I signed over to new owner. Be sure to use the state the titled was issued in's VIN verification form. (i.e. not florida form) This stuff happens all the time with old vehicles, you just need a lot of patience to get thru it. The correction above took 3 months to get right.... If SC doesn't verify VIN try that route.

'99 UZJ 100 - for glamping and grocery getting
'94 FZJ80 - our Costa Rican coffee mule
'96 FZJ80 - 3XL, racked, shaved and dipped in Raptor coat
'70 Petrol SIIA 88 - a Costa Rican expat now with US citizenship!
'70 Petrol SIIA 88 - for Central America surf & coffee exploration
'56 Petrol S1 86 - a whole new kind of land rover hell...
Old December 1st, 2014, 01:59 AM
Greg S
Greg Sutfin
1986 90

You are wasting your time typing this thread until you remove the paint from the right frame horn. The numbers I've seen on frames from the sixties are stamped so lightly that a single coat if paint completely covers it. Until you take it to clean metal you are just getting worked up for a non issue.
Factory stamped numbers I've seen are large, maybe half inch but very shallow.
Old December 1st, 2014, 05:26 AM

Thanks Greg - now that was my other thought. Now that paint is ON there so I'll have to take a grinder with a wire bristle wheel to it.
Old December 1st, 2014, 08:11 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
MOD trucks were on the 1-ton chassis with the reinforced extended front frame horns. I doubt they were replaced since nobody makes a replacement horn section to fit the 1-ton.

Most likely the original number plate and chassis ID were obliterated by the guy that registered the truck in CA years ago. That would explain why it is on an earlier 6 cylinder number.

You might try one of the mail-in title services and have them title it as what its supposed to be. Do you still have the UK registration #? That may be a place to start if you want to find out the original VIN. Though I suspect that may prove difficult.
Old December 1st, 2014, 08:19 AM

Nope, I ain't got nothing. I don't believe it's a MOD truck though.
Old December 1st, 2014, 08:39 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Post a photo of the truck you are trying to register.
Old December 1st, 2014, 09:00 AM

Old December 1st, 2014, 09:15 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Nice S3. A part of me was expecting to see a Puma. Hope it all works out with the registration.
Old December 1st, 2014, 09:29 AM

Nope, like I said he's my stripped down beater toy.... I actually prefer to buy older stock vehicles with original pair when I can find them. Too afraid to import one though - heard too many horror stories.

------ Follow up post added December 1st, 2014 09:30 AM ------

Yep - that's the one.... If I hadn't moved to Florida he'd be all registered on SC with no issues....at this point in time.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions