No Start Video - HELP - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Old October 13th, 2015, 10:30 AM
taoseno
Todd Kendrick
1995 D90 #2206 Original Owner

Registry
No Start Video - HELP

I am having trouble starting my '66 109" 2.25 gas engine w/ Rochester carb. Usually when I have this problem my points have slipped so that was the first thing I checked. Seems if I prime the fuel pump it cranks fine and runs for a minute or two. If I don't prime pump it cranks but dies immediately when I release choke. If I try to give it gas it dies immediately primed or not. I have a attached a video of Ed Kang and I trying to crank last night.........Any suggestions appreciated.

Link to video here
'95 D90 #2206
'66 109" P/U
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 13th, 2015, 12:57 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Have you removed and checked plugs for fuel fouling?
Old October 13th, 2015, 01:11 PM
taoseno
Todd Kendrick
1995 D90 #2206 Original Owner

Registry
Not yet but thanks for the suggestion. That is on my list but seems to be plenty of spark. Would it still crank if plugs were fouled? It does run rich............Some guys on G&R are suggesting new fuel filter and there should not be air bubbles in the filter........might be loose hose connection or hole in fuel line. Camera person is D90 source member Ed King who was passing thru town last night.

From G&R:

As the camera person points out, you can see air bubbles being rapidly drawn into the in-line fuel filter.

The source is likely somewhere between the tank and the filter (or the filter itself).

Try tightening your connections at the pump (both sides), tank and the filter hose clamp. Also - make sure the filter itself is not cracked/leaking. The filter should have an air void in it - but you shouldn't see air bubbles coming in from the fuel intake line.

I don't think the fuel pump is bad. if you can fill the filter by hand priming then the diaphragm is intact. the movement seen when cranking suggest the mechanics of the pump are ok, ie the cam that pumps is still cam shaped. change that filter! it looks like crap. check the seal on the sediment bowl. filters like that one don't necessarily have to be full when it's running.
'95 D90 #2206
'66 109" P/U

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Tags
start