New disc brake conversion kits and more goodies - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Old May 19th, 2014, 06:01 AM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Cool New disc brake conversion kits and more goodies

This is where Timm's ideas are taking shape now:
http://forbynbros.com/

I've been chatting with Timm during the last year and what is being done there now is mind blowing, not only an improved disc brake conversion but transfer cases and other crazy, beautiful stuff...

Dream on and on...
+109" IIA ex-military

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sketches and doodles:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[O]===[O]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 19th, 2014, 02:21 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Bout time, the website has been down for months now, had me worried since I want to resurrect my Series III's brakes.

Robert Deniro
Old May 19th, 2014, 02:33 PM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Different company, improved parts.
I'd love to get more details about those aluminum hubs in terms of strenght, when compared to steel.

Weight saving is sure a bonus, not to mention extra mounts for a 2nd caliper!!!

The plan is to get a set for my 109" when the time will be right...
+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 19th, 2014, 03:21 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

I'd love to do that LS1 conversion too.

Robert Deniro
Old May 19th, 2014, 03:45 PM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Don't tell me...I've been trying to gather info and details for one year or more.
Sadly I live in the wrong part of the world!
+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]
Old May 19th, 2014, 03:50 PM
80sailor
Tripp
1973 Series III 88 (sold)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
I'd love to do that LS1 conversion too.
Yeah, but you'd have to convert to an automatic transmission.

Yuck.

------ Follow up post added May 19th, 2014 02:51 PM ------

I traded emails with Greg Forbyn and got more info on the brake kit

The Disc Brake Conversion Kit costs $1400 for the front and $500 for the rear + whatever applicable tax and shipping. It includes all the brake lines, fasteners, swivel housings (front) ,hubs and caliper brackets (rear). Everything you need to do it except the rotors and calipers themselves ( stock defender parts work with it ) . If you are familiar with the Roam Off Road kit, It is similar ( although its been upgraded ) to that. Your series 3 master cylinder and brake booster should work fine with it.

The kits are still in production and estimated delivery time is end of June to mid July. We are not taking deposits but I can put your name on the list to reserve a set. We are receiving a LOT of inquiries about this kit in particular. Thank you for taking the time to inquire.
Old May 19th, 2014, 04:21 PM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sailor View Post
Yeah, but you'd have to convert to an automatic transmission.
Yuck.
Why? Manual's an option.
Thanks for the update on price.
I haven't asked Greg anything yet as I'm not in a hurry (I'm still gathering parts for the brake system upgrade), but it's good to know.
+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]
Old May 19th, 2014, 04:24 PM
80sailor
Tripp
1973 Series III 88 (sold)

Registry
I gathered from the text on their website that they recommend and auto.

But I could be wrong.
Old May 19th, 2014, 04:29 PM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Ah, I guess it's got to do with the new transfer case and the fact most Americans can't drive with stick
+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]
Old May 19th, 2014, 05:41 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

I'm down for autobox series III. Tired of stick on a series truck since also I can upgrade to power steering easier with a V8.

Robert Deniro
Old May 23rd, 2014, 03:09 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

Couldn't you just fit a Santana series4 front axle to get disk brakes? (This is really aimed at Michele, as there will be Santana's in europe, and I suspect hardly any in the US)
Old May 23rd, 2014, 03:57 AM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Hello there!

And when did you get a G-Wagen, btw

I "could", assuming I'd find one.
But since Defenders don't abund in scrapyards, Santana/Massif is an even rarer sight.
I think I counted 4 on the road in the last...uh...4 years?
Hard to get hold of.

The new kit designed by Timm is sure of a better quality anyway.
I just need to find a new daytime job before parting with cash...
+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]
Old May 25th, 2014, 10:14 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin

Ah, I thought they'd be more common where you are. In south Spain there's quite a few!

Bought the G a few months back. Sold the project90-3 (the military looking Td5 90) to fund it. Just fancy something different from a LR

Going to fit an OM606 diesel and 5 speed auto. should be nice.
Old May 25th, 2014, 12:44 PM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Next time you're in South Spain, find me a bargain 6L Santana engine and gearbox

Quote:
Bought the G a few months back. Sold the project90-3
Oh no (project 90-3)

Well the G sounds fun, and you'll save on lockers at least!
+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]
Old May 25th, 2014, 01:25 PM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin

Will keep my eyes open!!

Yes, the project90..... I liked that truck, great for wheeling, nice and light and basic. but I had engine issues. Got them sorted (new cylinder head), but I never really "connected" with it, if you know what I mean, so wasn't bothered to see it go.

The G, needs a little work (going to change the engine to a 6cyl 3.0l, with 5 speed auto), respray, interior trim. but will make for a nice vehicle.

And the build quality between then G and a LR... light years ahead!!!

some pictures<------
Old May 25th, 2014, 04:24 PM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
The 6 cylinder is a beast...
+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Tags
brake, conversion, kit