New Brake Issue - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Old June 19th, 2010, 11:45 AM
bcourtney
Robert Courtney
1973 Series III 200TDI

New Brake Issue

Ok so I completely replaced everything brake wise except the backing plates. When I put the drums on and tighten them down I can barely turn them. When I install the wheels and torque down the lugs I can't turn the wheels at all. I have taken them off checked everything a billion times. The shoes are completely backed off and in fact when I slide the drums on they touch nothing. I checked the tolerances between the face of the shoes and the inside of the drum and I have a good 20mm. I even put washers on the studs between the hub and the drum and still have the same problem. I also checked the distance between the backing plate and the drum and I can slide a paper in. I am completely baffled.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 19th, 2010, 12:11 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
I'm assuming this is the standard 10" brake setup for the 88"? Are you using the correct diameter drums? 20mm sounds like a lot of clearance. Are you using the screws to hold the drums in place? I've been leaning toward leaving those out myself but they shouldn't cause this problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcourtney View Post
Ok so I completely replaced everything brake wise except the backing plates. When I put the drums on and tighten them down I can barely turn them. When I install the wheels and torque down the lugs I can't turn the wheels at all. I have taken them off checked everything a billion times. The shoes are completely backed off and in fact when I slide the drums on they touch nothing. I checked the tolerances between the face of the shoes and the inside of the drum and I have a good 20mm. I even put washers on the studs between the hub and the drum and still have the same problem. I also checked the distance between the backing plate and the drum and I can slide a paper in. I am completely baffled.
Old June 19th, 2010, 12:31 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I have seen "oversized" shoes sold which are designed for drums that have been turned (which will not fit on new drums). Where did you get the shoes and drums?
Advertisement

Old June 19th, 2010, 12:41 PM
bcourtney
Robert Courtney
1973 Series III 200TDI

Sorry that would be 2mm. The parts are all off the shelf at AB. I just looked at them again and I can see I have contact with the shoes and drum right on the top on the braking surface. Granted I have not driven this yet or even put fluid in the system. This is all just from pushing it around the shop. I may need to wait and see when I finally get it on the road and do some driving.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 19th, 2010, 05:02 PM
jac04
Jeff
Currently Roverless

I had similar issues, but with 11" brakes.
Check to make sure that the pins on the shoes that contact the adjusters are not too long. Mine were, and the pins hit the adjusters, causing the shoes to be out of square with the drums. The drums went on fine, but as soon as I tighened them down the drums would not turn. I trimmed the pins to match the original factory shoes and all was well.
Old June 19th, 2010, 06:58 PM
bcourtney
Robert Courtney
1973 Series III 200TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jac04 View Post
I had similar issues, but with 11" brakes.
Check to make sure that the pins on the shoes that contact the adjusters are not too long. Mine were, and the pins hit the adjusters, causing the shoes to be out of square with the drums. The drums went on fine, but as soon as I tighened them down the drums would not turn. I trimmed the pins to match the original factory shoes and all was well.
Thanks Jeff I think I noticed they were longer I'll give that a shot

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Tags
brake