Need Help With Buying A 1970 Series IIA - 88" - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Old January 29th, 2007, 09:58 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Basicaly what they are saying is that its a good looking truck if you wanted one to work on in your spare time. Might take you a month to get it the way you want it or a lifetime depending on what you want to do to/with it. If the heat and humidity down there is anything like DC in summer I'd say go with either the Disco or maybe buy this and turn it into a soft top.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 30th, 2007, 01:29 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

If you absolutely, positively must rely on this vehicle 100% of the time, you're out of your mind for considering a Series truck.

That said, if you are willing to learn to wrench--it's really not that hard, I knew absolutely nothing when I bought my D-90 a year and a half ago--you can have a trustworthy vehicle that you can learn from and fall in love with.

I can assure you that you're going to need some money for tools and parts. If money is so tight that you can't afford a $300 this-or-that every once in a while, you're better off buying something else. I'm not trying to discourage you but this is a 37 year old truck and things are going to go wrong.

This truck appears to be a nice specimen. It certainly has potential.

Old Land Rovers are a strange thing. You really have to be in love with these vehicles to put up with them. I live in the mountains of Utah and I suffer all winter long in my D-90. It's drafty, the heater barely works, and I always find myself standing out on the street at 11PM when it's -5 out, wrenching on my truck. But sell it? Like the sticker says, "I'd rather shove wasps up my arse."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
/
Old January 30th, 2007, 07:19 AM
Lucasd2002
David Lucas
[VACANT]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender Seeker
I am looking to buy a daily truck that I can use to commute back and forth to work (12 mile commute on highway) Is this even possible with such an old truck?
If this is the case I would wait until you can buy something like this as a second car [project] and have a dd for your commute.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 30th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Fender Seeker
Sean O'Neill
NONE YET

Good advice guys. Still not sure on if I want to give up this opportunity yet.

Keep you posted. Thanks again to all of you for taking the time out and helping me with this question.

Sean
Old January 30th, 2007, 07:06 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
How many Rovers do you think are in PR?
Old January 30th, 2007, 08:36 PM
Fender Seeker
Sean O'Neill
NONE YET

JB,

There are many Land Rovers here on the island but not many Series or Defenders. I would guess about 10 Series and two Defenders. One of the Defenders is a beauty but he is asking $45K.

What are you thinking?

Sean
Old January 31st, 2007, 10:35 PM
Fender Seeker
Sean O'Neill
NONE YET

Guys,

How many miles can a Discovery II handle before it starts causing too many issues? Please keep in mind that the road conditions here in PR is pretty harsh on the shocks.

I'm thinking about getting a 2000 Discovery for $16K (around 60K miles) no off road upgrades or add ons as my daily driver and the Series for the weekend.

Comments please.

Thanks

Sean
Old February 1st, 2007, 08:59 AM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

That sounds like a great plan... One for work and one for Fun. Plus your wife won't mind driving the disco.

Can you off-road in PR? In El Junque? (Probably spelled that wrong).

Old February 1st, 2007, 09:02 AM
Lucasd2002
David Lucas
[VACANT]

Quote:
Guys,

How many miles can a Discovery II handle before it starts causing too many issues? Please keep in mind that the road conditions here in PR is pretty harsh on the shocks.

I'm thinking about getting a 2000 Discovery for $16K (around 60K miles) no off road upgrades or add ons as my daily driver and the Series for the weekend.

Comments please.

Thanks

Sean
sounds like a plan but $16k is too much for a 2000

$16-18k should get you a 2004 which was the high water mark for the disco2 imho
Old February 1st, 2007, 01:35 PM
Fender Seeker
Sean O'Neill
NONE YET

Scott,

El Yunque, is good but the best are the small mountain areas all throughout the island. My wife's hometown has a crew of guys that go out every Sunday and come back full of mud!!! FUN....

David,

A 2004 Disco goes for $30K down here...you see why I am so frustrated!

For that money, I'd rather put in a bit more and get the 97 Defender for $40K

Sean
Old February 1st, 2007, 01:39 PM
Lucasd2002
David Lucas
[VACANT]

Quote:
David,

A 2004 Disco goes for $30K down here...you see why I am so frustrated!

For that money, I'd rather put in a bit more and get the 97 Defender for $40K

Sean
yikes, maybe you should think more about shipping something from the mainland

...and this makes that $5k for the SIII not look too bad (but I still think you'll want a dd)
Old February 1st, 2007, 02:48 PM
Fender Seeker
Sean O'Neill
NONE YET

Importing a vehicle down to PR doesn't work either because the local government adds on $$ to make the car equal in price as what's here already. Three years ago when I moved down here, I had a Disco II with only 30K miles and they were charging me $15K to import it in! I sold it for very little money.

How many miles can a DISCO go to?...a guy here is selling a 1999 Disco II for $10K but it has 110K miles.

What do you think?

Sean

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Tags
97, buying, series