Need Help With Buying A 1970 Series IIA - 88" - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Old January 27th, 2007, 12:02 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender Seeker
1) I asked him about the double clutch and he told me that it does not have that. He said it is a regular single clutch vehicle. What does this mean? Did the previous owner switch it? Does this make the vehicle bad? He also told me that he just replaced the clutch with a new one.
The "double clutch" that we are referring to is not actually two clutches. It refers to the process to change gears. 2nd gear doesn't have a syncro, the thing that matches the speed of the two gears in the transmission so they mesh perfectly and don't grind. This is what gives you smooth shift without grinding gears. Instead of this, when you change from 1st to 2nd gear, you follow this procedure:
1. Push clutch in
2. Shift to neutral
3. Let clutch out
4. Push clutch in
5. Shift to 2nd

To shift from 3rd to 2nd you follow this procedure:
1. Push clutch in
2. Shift to neutral
3. Let clutch out
4. Rev the engine (this is the tricky part. eventually you'll figure out just how much)
5. Push clutch in
6. Shift to 2nd

Of course shifting between 3rd and 4th is the same as any car. The doule clutching becomes natural after you drive them for a while. Sometimes I even double clutch my Defender after driving the series trucks by accident!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 27th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Fender Seeker
Sean O'Neill
NONE YET

Chris,

Thank you so much...I feel like an idiot. Now I understand. Doesn't seem as hard to me now.

Sean
Old January 27th, 2007, 12:47 PM
Shake
Bob Hanson AKA Two-Socks
Red 94 D-90 #428

Lightbulb Rust!!!

Everybody starts out as an "idiot." I just promoted myself to "idiot second class," which is a huge step in Defender knowledge for me...And I am still asking "stupid" questions. No better place to ask. This place has taught me a lot, and I am constantly amazed at the generousity of the Defender community. The journey NEVER ends on these trucks.

Now, I know S&^T and all about series trucks...But I did sleep at a Holiday... Errr Wrong line.
Think about this. I am American but I grew up in Jamaica, WI. Tons of Rovers and Toyota FJs.
Most important thing I noticed on EVERY one of them was RUST. Look close. Learn about waxoyl and ospho rust prevention. (May be some others...) Even if it's perfect now...Don't forget that !!!...

Can't remember his name but there's a guy on the board from the Dominican Republic...Might ask him what measures he takes to defeat rust. (AH! Found him!! Julien Dalbin...JFD )

Just my .02 worth
Advertisement

Old January 27th, 2007, 01:06 PM
Fender Seeker
Sean O'Neill
NONE YET

Thanks Bob. I live right by the beach and RUST is the true devil down here. I know that there are some protective coats that I can have them spray on which I will do when I have the Series painted.

Julien from Dominican Republic did right me about my question and I am sure I will be sending him many questions from now.

Yes, the D-90 Community is knowledgeable and generous and I'm looking forward to getting promoted to Idiot Second Class soon.

I've been looking at these Land Rover trucks for so long and I can barely sleep now because of this Series I finally found.

I used to have a Discovery II (2000) back when I used to live in the states but had to sell it when I moved down to PR...import costs were too high, and I miss the thing so bad.

I will start off fresh with an Old School Series and hopefullly gain my experience and expertise with it. As my wallet and business grows, I am hoping that my Rover Collection will grow with it.

My wife is also pretty cool about me having my toys so I guess the hardest part of starting the Collection is taken care of.

Thanks again for everything guys.

Sean
Old January 27th, 2007, 02:22 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder

If you end up picking it up make sure you post some nice pictures of it! It really does look like it's in great condition. The best way to get into these is to buy projects and learn from the ground up. You'll know your vehicle far better than anyone else.

Good luck with it and welcome to the Rover Community (hopefully!)
Old January 27th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Fender Seeker
Sean O'Neill
NONE YET

Chris and The Community,

I hope to post an array of pics of my new Truck, whichever it may be, soon.

Thanks again for helping me with this and if there are any other comments please let me know before I pull the trigger on a purchase.

Sean
Old January 27th, 2007, 10:04 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender Seeker
Is there a way to add an AC to the truck?
This question worries me. If you are looking for AC, this might not be the vehicle for you. No offense.

charles
Old January 27th, 2007, 10:47 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake

Can't remember his name but there's a guy on the board from the Dominican Republic...Might ask him what measures he takes to defeat rust. (AH! Found him!! Julien Dalbin...JFD )

Just my .02 worth
Stainless steel is your new best friend... , if you want to keep rust away, you'll have
to start replacing fasteners, even have some parts and brackets made in SS, or
a good coating, keep your truck clean and lubricated.
For stainless hardware:
www.mcmaster.com
www.nutty.com
www.fastenal.com
www.boltdepot.com
For coating:
http://www.technicoatpr.com/main.html
Old January 28th, 2007, 09:27 AM
Fender Seeker
Sean O'Neill
NONE YET

Thanks for the advice Julien. Stainless Steel will be my friend.

Also, I was asking about the AC because this will be my daily driver and as I wear a suit to work and live in PR, this would be very helpful. If there is no way to add the AC, then I will have to live with it.

More pics of the truck will be posted very soon. Heading over there tomorrow to ask more questions and take pics so let me know if there is anything specifically that you guys want to see or for me to ask the owner.

Thanks again.

Sean
Old January 28th, 2007, 11:10 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
check out vintage air for AC - they have a number of solutions that might be ok in a series. They have some old underdash units that work kind of like the defender ac, by sitting in the passenger foot well. It will look aftermarket, but depending on what you select, it will look reasonably period.
Old January 28th, 2007, 02:16 PM
Fender Seeker
Sean O'Neill
NONE YET

Jim,

Thanks! I will contact them and see what they recommend. Pretty funny that I am already looking to see what I can add the the truck even before I bought it.

Sean
Old January 28th, 2007, 03:27 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder

or just take the top off
Old January 28th, 2007, 03:48 PM
Fender Seeker
Sean O'Neill
NONE YET

Like the way you are thinking Chris...do anything to make this truck MINE...
Old January 29th, 2007, 07:37 PM
Fender Seeker
Sean O'Neill
NONE YET

New Pics

Alright Defender Community.

I need all the help I can get on this vehicle. I just came back from seeing the Series and here is what I found. Again, if there are any specific questions, please let me know so that I can ask the owner right away. I think I have to make a decision on this ASAP or he is just going to keep it.

He has many original parts that he purchased from Atlantic Rovers and somewhere in the UK for the vehicle: Cosmetic parts, like the light covers, top part of the emergency brake and the gear handle, etc., a new door frame (as you can see in the picture, it is pretty badly rusted), door and window seals, a new part for where the passanger feet are (again badly rusted).

He also replaced the manifold, brakes,and brake lines.

When I saw the vehicle (it does not look as nicely as it does in the pictures) I became a bit overwhelmed by all the work it looks like it needs. The body is pretty badly rusted throughout (inside and underside) and the engine looks too simple to me (again, I don't know what a nice Series looks like). Maybe someone can send me some pics of their Series that I can use to compare.

He started the engine very easily but it kept shutting off after a few minutes. He told me that this was because he had no gas. He also didn't have that much time to give me so I couldn't go and get some gas to see if this was true. Also, I was unable to drive this truck on this trip.

As I am a Rover NEWBIE, do you think I should still go ahead with this purchase and committment? He told me that, mechanically, all that needs to be done is for the new brake lines to be put in and then fix the body and weld the rear part of the chassis. He thinks that this will cost about $2,000.

Please let me know.

Sean

Follow-up Post:

I have MORE PICS so just ask me if you want to see more.

Thanks

Sean
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Door.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	8035   Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	8036  

Name:	Inside 2.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	8037   Click image for larger version

Name:	Inside 4.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	8038  

Name:	Inside 5.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	8039   Click image for larger version

Name:	Side View 2.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	8041  

Name:	Underside.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	8042   Click image for larger version

Name:	Side View.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	8043  

Old January 29th, 2007, 08:29 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
It's missing the air filter which likely affects how it runs, but it probably has carburator issues if it can't idle for more than a few minutes. I would definately take it for a good 24+ mile test drive Why couldn't you test drive it?

However, I really don't think this is a good choice for a commuter vehicle for you. A great project vehicle yes, but not something you'd expect the kind of reliability and comfort you'd want for a 12 mile commute in a suit, in PR heat. Get a honda for the commuter.

hth
charles
Old January 29th, 2007, 08:41 PM
Fender Seeker
Sean O'Neill
NONE YET

Thanks Charles. My brain is telling me the same thing but my heart is telling me to go with the Series. I am trying to see if my current financial situation will allow me to do both.

Maybe my first Rover should be an 2000 Discovery II instead. What do you guys think?

Sean
Old January 29th, 2007, 08:47 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

This truck looks decent. It's hard to tell from the pics but I don't see any massive rust problems.

If it were me, I'd buy this truck. I'd also buy a $500 motorcycle to commute on when she's being worked on or is not wanting to run. This truck looks like a great project.

I would not buy a DII. You'll spend a fortune on the off-road upgrades.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Old January 29th, 2007, 08:51 PM
Fender Seeker
Sean O'Neill
NONE YET

Chris,

Only if the wife was as cool about the motorcycle as she is about the Series...that would just be asking too much in a woman.

Sean
Old January 29th, 2007, 08:55 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder

I too don't think the rust is bad at all and agree on the great project. It looks like it's mostly there. I would definitely buy it. It seems to me that 5,000 is a pretty good price for that. Obviously it'll end up costing you much more, but you won't notice that as much
Old January 29th, 2007, 09:06 PM
Fender Seeker
Sean O'Neill
NONE YET

Ok, from the sound of it most of you think that it is a great "PROJECT"...now what exactly does that mean?

I'm sorry for asking this and sounding like an idiot but here is my situation: I don't have much money to spend on this Series, maybe $7,000. My wife has another car but I do truly need something that I can use for work everyday. I don't mind that it is not a new, speed racer, like the Defender, but it does have to be something that I can rely on.

Now on the flip side, I am CRAZY about the Defender / Series and can't seem to stop thinking about it.

HELP

Sean

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Tags
97, buying, series