Need Help Evaluating a 1964 Series IIA 88" - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Old April 19th, 2014, 12:21 AM
hunterjah
Jesse Hardin
Past: '97 D90 LE #135

Need Help Evaluating a 1964 Series IIA 88"

All,

I am looking at purchasing a 1964 Series IIA that is local. The truck is owned by an individual and is currently not running. According to the owner, this truck has not run since in his possession. The IIA has 37,XXX showing on the clock, but I assume that is either wrong, or 137K. Owner states the engine turns over (so it isn't seized). Owner also states the carb is shot. Needs a new carb. I believe this to be a 2.25 L 4 Petrol engine. I've attached a bunch of photos. I don't see much rust on the drivetrain. Door sills show some rust. Bulkhead also shows a bit of rust. The doors don't shut great and the door glass is broken on the sliding portion. I think the interior looks marginal, but I can live with that. So, my question is this: owner is asking $3,800 firm. Is this a good price for a non-running '64 IIA? I have no experience with Series trucks, but I want one and will be doing most of the work myself. Is this where I should start?

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Thanks again for any and all feedback!!!

Previous Rovers:
1997 LR D90 LE - #135
1997 LR D90 ST - #1185 (BRG)
2000 LR Discovery SII (Oxford Blue)
2008 LR LR3 HSE (Alaska White)
2012 LR LR4 Lux (Fuji White)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 19th, 2014, 12:33 AM
javelinadave
-
-

Not to muddy the water but here is a running (according to this seller) comparison.
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/4419633221.html

Classic Short Wheel base 2a 88. 2.25L petrol motor. Runs and drives. Very rare Safari top and rear seats. Good tires and spare. Original survivor. Serious Rover lovers apply. Clear AZ title. $5900. Scottsdale

Old April 19th, 2014, 09:33 AM
chuckc4
chuck b

Without a good look at the bulkhead, but from the rust shown on the pic of the pedals, I would say no way to the asking price. Without the motor running --way too many variables that could put you in over 15k in a heartbeat.

There are a lot of runners out there for a few thousand more.

This is a parts truck right now, I think $1,500 would be generous.

Chuck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 19th, 2014, 09:41 AM
LR Max
Thomason, Max
1973 Series 3 109

HAHAHAHHAHAHA.

That thing is a basket case. Bare minimum needs a lot of bulkhead work. Doors are rusted. I mean, they'll work but it'll never be a show piece.

Where is the parking brake!!?? Literally, the parking brake has been unbolted and discarded.

Tires are shot and something is weird with the front axle. That tire looks like its leaning in.

Overall, price is too high for a non-runner that needs a crap ton of work. I say spend a few extra and get something that you can take for a test drive.

Looks like its leaking from every seal. Series seals don't "swell back up". They just leak more. So be prepared to pretty much reseal the entire truck. Bare minimum the output, pinion seals, looks like the swivel balls also need seals, front main seal, oil pan gasket.

WTF those shocks. Definitely getting a new pair of shocks. Also a new set of springs as well.

Assuming the clutch and brakes work, they are all probably rusted to crap and all crapped up as well. I wouldn't rely on a truck like that without doing brake work.

I'd pay ~$2k for that. If the parking brake isn't working, lord knows what other BS is wrong with that drivetrain. I'd probably blow at least $3k on getting it back into running shape ASSuming the chassis isn't shot. It looks good but considering how crappy the bulkhead is, I suspect the chassis isn't much better. If memory serves, typically the chassis goes before the bulkhead.

Back in the day we always said $500 for a non-runner with a crap chassis. $1,000 for a runner with a crap chassis.

Overall for the better part of $4k, I'd pass. While it is complete, it needs a bunch of work just to make it usable to drive to the burger joint.

Spend $2k more and get a truck you can start driving immediately. Yes, it'll have little BS problems and need attention, etc. But you'll have that + a crap ton more...AND all the crap I just pointed out above with this truck.

Oh and if you get a series, make sure to take the top off, get a leather brim hat, a pair of aviators, and a pipe. This is the only way to drive a series.
Old April 19th, 2014, 09:50 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

From what you can tell from the pictures, the frame is good.
The doors and bulkhead need work.
How far you want to go into it is up to you, but I don't see it as a get it running and jump in and drive before undergoing some major work.

If it were my only major project, assuming you have a garage bay, would pull the bulkhead and send it off to John Door to be repaired professionally. John is up in NY.

While John has the bulkhead you could sort out the engine, gearboxes, and suspension.
Looks like new seals are in order and count on replacing all the hydraulics.
The missing hand brake will be easy enough to locate.
The dash has been monkeyed with and the original center gauge panel and gauge cluster is gone.
What this really means is the harness may be all spliced together and may need a a complete new harness and rewire.
Tires will need to be replaced and possibly the wheels.

If it were here and the rest of the frame is as good as what you can see in the pictures, it would go for about $4,000 to $4,500 as a comparison, but it is actually worth only what someone is willing to pay for it.
It is a good restoration candidate.

It's an early 88 which is starting to get somewhat rare, but is nothing special.
The LHD makes it worth more.

Hope these comments are of some value to you... others may not agree... opinions are like ahhh, well everyone has one, but you did ask!

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old April 19th, 2014, 10:04 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
I say keep looking.

The frame looks good. The rest... meeh!!!

He's asking too much. You are going to double that amount fixing it. (ask me how I know)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old April 19th, 2014, 10:44 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Run away if you can't get that for $1,000. I wouldn't touch it personally, and I have bought a few lately for a lot less money that $3800. That is a parts truck at best.
Old April 19th, 2014, 11:37 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
It's like this: Any 2A that has not been restored will need some amount of rehabilitation. The purchase price should be considered your buy in. That's going to depend on your own comfort level. If you're confident that you can repair the rust and do the mechanicals and cosmetics, then go forward.
I wouldn't run away from that one, but it will be sucking a good solid 15 grand from you to get it right.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old April 19th, 2014, 11:37 AM
hunterjah
Jesse Hardin

All, thanks for the candid feedback. Would love to keep hearing opinions. I think the consensus so far is run. Quick question, if I was going to have one shipped, would I be looking at ~$1k from farthest part of US to Texas? Reason I ask is I'd add that to a runner (lets say $6k) and that's the nut I need to clear. I'm definitely looking for a project truck, but I'm just getting my feet wet on mechanicals. It may be better to buy a runner and start learning on something i know works.

Previous Rovers:
1997 LR D90 LE - #135
Old April 19th, 2014, 10:49 PM
Contractor
Will
1969 IIA

It's hard to say from the pictures.

The chassis looks pretty solid, but the bulkhead will need some work. It's not bad for a project, but I would think all in you will be over $8,000 just to get it running. For $8K you should be able to get a running driving truck. Get him to $3K and I'd probably buy it.

Making assumptions, but I would suspect it needs the following:

- Brakes - it likely has a bad MC, some wheel cylinders are crap, worn out shoes, old brake lines,etc. If you are capable of fixing this yourself you are going to drop close to $1K

- Clutch Master, I have found rubber parts all seem to fail at the same time, not expensive but a pain in the ass on a LHD truck.

- Tune up - Carb rebuild, plugs and wires, battery, fluids, etc......

- Suspension - Likely needs shocks

- Tires

- Interior - Seats, clean up the trim, etc.

- Body - Needs new footwells, door bottoms/frame, etc. re-claim what should be galvanized.

Anyway, it does not look that bad and I would not be scared to buy that truck. But know what you are getting into. As far as shipping goes........I can ship from Oregon to SC for $1500, Michigan to SC for $700.

Good Luck
Old April 20th, 2014, 03:13 PM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
Needs work for sure, coantractors list looks about right. . .

But remember! - You don't need to repair every spot of rust and replace every non-original piece to enjoy it! Rusty doors and footwells will not stop you from enjoying it. All rovers leak and painted galv and non original gauges will not make it undriveable.

You NEED : Parking brake, and realistically all new brake and clutch hydraulics. NEED to sort out the rats nest wiring in the passengers side bulkhead. NEED new tires.

Probably need a new carb, fuel pump and gas tank.

Might need a radiator. water pump, etc -who knows... once you get the engine to run you'll know.

I think though, if you just want something to enjoy and not a total basket case restoration you can find something driveable for a few grand more. If moneys tight and you like wrenching then this might be just right.

~Steve
Old April 21st, 2014, 07:51 AM
LR Max
Thomason, Max
1973 Series 3 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterjah View Post
All, thanks for the candid feedback. Would love to keep hearing opinions. I think the consensus so far is run. Quick question, if I was going to have one shipped, would I be looking at ~$1k from farthest part of US to Texas? Reason I ask is I'd add that to a runner (lets say $6k) and that's the nut I need to clear. I'm definitely looking for a project truck, but I'm just getting my feet wet on mechanicals. It may be better to buy a runner and start learning on something i know works.
A $1k budget for shipping is about right. You can probably do it cheaper (depending on distance, etc) but $1k budgeted leaves a lot of leeway.

If you REALLY want a series, Get ahold of Ike Goss and buy one of his. He usually has a stack of em and knows the trucks. He also has a lot of spares available and upgrades. If I was buying a series truck from him, I'd get the truck, ask him what it needs (I mean, he will tell ya), buy those parts, have him put it in the back of the truck, and ship it down.

Or have him do some refurb/upgrades before getting the truck to you. Depends on how much of a project you want.

The key with buying from Ike is he isn't a good ole boy who thinks he has a rare treasure in his driveway and is worth a bunch of money...despite the fact it hasn't run in 15 years.
Old April 21st, 2014, 09:29 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Ditto on Ike - as a matter of fact I think he has one. Also I know of another one for sale, in better condition. Send a PM to Jason Arrington on here. - handle is Arrington
Old April 21st, 2014, 05:57 PM
hunterjah
Jesse Hardin

Thanks gents, appreciate all the great feedback. I'm passing on this one. Will spend the extra money and get one that is in better condition. What's the best way to get in touch with Ike? I'll also send a note to Jason.

Previous Rovers:
1997 LR D90 LE - #135
Old April 21st, 2014, 07:52 PM
chuckc4
chuck b

BRIKO Sticker, that tells me the current owner has STYLE!

Lots of really good advice from board members here....you are in good hands!

Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
Not to muddy the water but here is a running (according to this seller) comparison.
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/4419633221.html

Classic Short Wheel base 2a 88. 2.25L petrol motor. Runs and drives. Very rare Safari top and rear seats. Good tires and spare. Original survivor. Serious Rover lovers apply. Clear AZ title. $5900. Scottsdale

Old April 21st, 2014, 09:05 PM
Contractor
Will
1969 IIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterjah View Post
What's the best way to get in touch with Ike?
http://pangolin4x4.com/

Click the contact link and call the number.

I have bought two trucks from Ike and various parts, he is good people and about as straight up as you get. I have many trucks and parts from him in my future.
Old April 21st, 2014, 09:58 PM
xplorUtah
Andrew P
1960 SII

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contractor View Post
http://pangolin4x4.com/

Click the contact link and call the number.

I have bought two trucks from Ike and various parts, he is good people and about as straight up as you get. I have many trucks and parts from him in my future.
X2...I bought my Series from Ike several years ago. Strongly recommend.
1997 D90 SW #2496

"Fear profits man nothing"

1997 D90 SW #2139 Portofino Sold
1995 D90 ST #2445 Beluga Black Sold
1995 RRC SWB Beluga Black Sold
1986 110 200TDI "1 of 1" Sold
Old April 22nd, 2014, 09:32 AM
LR Max
Thomason, Max
1973 Series 3 109

Occasionally he has a good Series 1 for sale.

Too much want...
Old April 26th, 2014, 09:56 PM
REDrum
Niall Johnson
1970 Series IIA 88 - Sandstone

Registry
I second what Bill posted.

I look at about ten series trucks a year, but usually only buy one or two, and based on my data set that one aint too bad for a US truck. That said, based on the Bosch heater I see bolted to the bulk head I don't think it started in US, probably GT or CR and driven north to Tejas. There are no great deals with series trucks. My feeling is that a well sorted and serviced series trucks cost $15K. Either you buy for $15K sorted or you buy for $5K and spend $10K sorting. You can save some if you do all your own wrenching.

3,800 for non running truck, no so much. Have him getting running for $4K or offer $2.5K. Lots of running project trucks out there fror <$5K

'99 UZJ 100 - for glamping and grocery getting
'94 FZJ80 - our Costa Rican coffee mule
'96 FZJ80 - 3XL, racked, shaved and dipped in Raptor coat
'70 Petrol SIIA 88 - a Costa Rican expat now with US citizenship!
'70 Petrol SIIA 88 - for Central America surf & coffee exploration
'56 Petrol S1 86 - a whole new kind of land rover hell...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Tags
series