McMaster-Carr Series Door Hinge Hardware? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old January 14th, 2014, 10:08 PM
Derek Borror
1969 109 gone - Rockin a 97' D1 now
McMaster-Carr Series Door Hinge Hardware?

Anyone order their door hinge hardware from McMaster's? Looking for the specific part numbers to replace my hinge bolts with stainless. It has to be cheaper than some of the packaged bolts kits. Or is it?

I think I found the specs for the front door of my 109 (below). These look right?

8x M8 x 35mm Phillips headed bolts

8 x M8 x 55mm Phillips headed bolts

8 x M8 J-Clips (coated)

8 x Stainless Steel Nuts

Can't find what the middle row doors would be (not currently collocated with my Rover to measure. Looks like they might 96mm?

"I think we are good...its still dripping"
Old January 17th, 2014, 10:56 AM
Teriann Wakeman
1960 Dormobile
First your truck is not metric. Second those are special bevel head screws that have a slot in the threaded area for the special washer. I don't think you are going to find it outside of a LR parts catalogue.

I have yet to see one of those bolts rusted enough to think about substituting one with stainless. The last ones I bought were cheap and you usually want to swap out the bronze spherical bushing at the same time.

I do not know the current prices as I no longer use that type of hinge. I upgraded to the stronger SIII/Defender door hinges years ago and will never go back to the flimsy earlier door hinge.

1960 Land Rover Dormobile, The go anywhere class B RV
1961 Triumph TR3A. Life is too short not to drive a classic British roadster.

Book - The Essential Guide to Overland Travel in the United States and Canada

My Land Rover web site

My Triumph TR3 web site

Old January 17th, 2014, 02:54 PM
87 D110 (Ruby)
Me 'tinks he was talking about the bolts that go into the bulkhead

Anyway - those Series hinge pins are $3.95ea or thereabouts...and yes TAW is 100% correct as usual - buy LR for these.
"The difference between stupidity and genius, is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein
Old January 17th, 2014, 03:18 PM
I have never seen a rover in person
Do you have the defender style hinges or the SII/SIIa hinges? If the latter, there are stainless screws, but they are slotted.
*not legal advice*

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions