many questions in regards to my build - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Old October 13th, 2012, 09:58 PM
killahaas
Dylan Haas
none for now!

many questions in regards to my build

As most of you know, i am building a 109. i have been throwing around so many different ideas on what to do drivetrain/suspension wise. and i would like your guys imput..
now i am leaning towards a 200 tdi swap, and the plan is pick up a 200 tdi, throw it on a stand. do what ever needs to be taken care of(timing belt and what not) and bolt it up to the stock series gearbox and transfer case for the time being until i can find a LT77 to throw in it and than pretty much call it a day as for the engine and tranny.

Now the option two is a buddy of my offered me his chevy 350 out of his K30 for free and it needs to be freshen'd up. so the idea would be the "rebuilt" 350 and a NP 435 and adapted to the series transfer case. which is a good option but i think it will be a lot more time and money trying to get a 350 to work right with it. plus i am not sure if i need to mess with new driveshafts or anything. i am mechanically inclined but i dont think i am THAT good to do the whole thing by myself.
those are the two basic ideas of my options. now comes to brakes suspension and axles.

suspension: i kind of want something that just drops in which i guess only limits me to parabolics and factory springs. how are parabolics? i hear good and bad things about them.
suggestions on other options? i know there is the 63 chevy conversion and the 88 rear springs on the front which requires the front horns to be lengthened.

axles:
ideally i would like to do toyota axle swaps. does anyone have a write up on this swap in a series? i know it can be done. but i dont know what needs to be changed or modified or if it even worth it.
another option is throw seriestech axles into the existing diff. but they seem like a lot of money for something that will still have drums. so than after spending all that on just axles i have to spend another 1000+ for a disc brake kit up front. Is it worth it? i am building this on somewhat of a budget.
will disco 24 spline axles fit? are they too long? i need some input on these things more than any of the other questions or are there other recommendations for axles? i would like at least front discs and 24 spline axles. this truck will be offroad so its not like i am just doing it for the hell of it.
i am sure i will have more questions but i would love your guys input!
Dylan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 13th, 2012, 10:41 PM
1962siia88
Daniel Rogers
1962siia88

Registry
Lots of ways to go. Regarding the 350 np435 series tcase option there is a lot of work to make it all fit and there is no complete kit out there to bolt all that stuff in. You will definitely need custom drive shafts too plus interior sheet metal make over custom mounts for the engine and tcase, efi? Fuel system etc (see my thread for more on this). Coiler axles can be made to fit but the front doesn't seem to fit so well for a stock spring under setup and either way requires lots of grinding off of stuff and welding on spring perches etc.

D90user (Steve) is doing the 200tdi and Toyota axles on his series 1. It has been fairly straight forward compared to what I'm dealing with in my build.

Stock series axles can be pimped out for sure. ROAM offroad is doing the disc brakes and axles now.

Lots of opinions on springs out there but I loved my parabolics but I'm doing 88 rears on the front with 109sw springs in the rear for my spring over.

I've got another friend building a 109 3 door here in California. He's doing the 200tdi with stock series trans and tcase with overdrive and parabolics. He's getting close to done too. He lurks here from time to time so maybe he will chime in and post some pics.
Old October 14th, 2012, 09:52 AM
killahaas
Dylan Haas
none for now!

ok thanks for your input, hopefully steve will chime in. as well as your friend what kind of axles are you running?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 14th, 2012, 11:34 AM
1962siia88
Daniel Rogers
1962siia88

Registry
My axles came from a 1995 RRC. Front axle shafts are from rovingtracks, I haven't bought the rear shafts yet but will be either roving tracks, ROAM or GBR. Most likely ROAM because they're right here in Ca. I'm running ARB with 4.14 gears from GBR front and back.

I dont know that I'd recommend my setup, its just what I ended up with. I wanted disc brakes, had a pile of stuff on hand, and had Timm Cooper willing to point me in the right direction and stop by to help every once in a while. Mine has been a "budget" driveway build, actually "way over budget" build.

If I was doing it all over again I'd probably go with the axles that Brian has under his rig. He's got a bomb proof setup. Maybe he will chime in because I'll get it wrong but the front is some configuration of Salisbury/ d60 35 spline, and the rear is an Eaton HO72. There is info on this on the pirate forum somewhere I believe.

If you aren't going to do a spring over conversion I think it would be more difficult to make other axles fit and work properly. There are examples of people putting coiler axles on series vehicles with out doing a spring over and I believe most people have been unhappy. You'd see alot more of it if it was a good/easy upgrade.

I'd say keep your series axles, repower as you like, and throw money at brakes and heavy duty shafts,etc as you as your budget allows.

Daniel
Old October 14th, 2012, 11:57 AM
killahaas
Dylan Haas
none for now!

i wouldn't have a problem doing a spring over, and like i said i am building this on quite a tight budget. and i know it will go way over that! so i am trying to figure out the easiest/cheapest. set up. i think i may go with what your saying repower the series axles.
also what braking system should i use if i go with discs? should i get a later model defender pedal,booster,and master? or is there something else you guys recommend?
Old October 14th, 2012, 01:17 PM
1962siia88
Daniel Rogers
1962siia88

Registry
Late 2a/ Series 3 pedal tower. Not sure what you want to do after that. Either series brake servo and master or hydroboost would be what I'd do.

Daniel
Old October 15th, 2012, 11:30 AM
TeriAnn
Teriann Wakeman
1960 Dormobile

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1962siia88 View Post
Late 2a/ Series 3 pedal tower. Not sure what you want to do after that. Either series brake servo and master or hydroboost would be what I'd do.
I have been doing some updating on my web page covering power brake conversions to Series trucks. It is not finished yet but you might find something of interest there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old October 15th, 2012, 12:08 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Quote:
now i am leaning towards a 200 tdi swap, and the plan is pick up a 200 tdi, throw it on a stand. do what ever needs to be taken care of(timing belt and what not) and bolt it up to the stock series gearbox and transfer case for the time being until i can find a LT77 to throw in it and than pretty much call it a day as for the engine and tranny.
The "stumpy" R380 gearbox is about 1700 to you from Ashcroft. If you go 2/300 tdi this will solve so many fitment problems that it's worth the money. You need only fit a defender R380 tunnel cover to your seat box and bulkhead. If you go the next logical step and use an LT230 transfer case, the levers all come up thru the tunnel cover, and you can fit an X brake easily.

Quote:
Now the option two is a buddy of my offered me his chevy 350 out of his K30 for free and it needs to be freshen'd up.
A remanufactured engine is far less money than rebuilding an engine yourself. If you have never done one, you'll find it's not as straight up as you think. Just finding a machine shop that isn't run by idiots is one of the most crucial steps....

Quote:
so the idea would be the "rebuilt" 350 and a NP 435 and adapted to the series transfer case. which is a good option but i think it will be a lot more time and money trying to get a 350 to work right with it. plus i am not sure if i need to mess with new driveshafts or anything. i am mechanically inclined but i dont think i am THAT good to do the whole thing by myself.
Chevy 350/NP435 is a match made in heaven. To get a Series tcase on it you need about 8 inches worth of adapters. That means driveshafts and frame mods, plus your levers will be moved backward.

Quote:
those are the two basic ideas of my options. now comes to brakes suspension and axles.
Tdi, by a mile. in my book.

Quote:
suspension: i kind of want something that just drops in which i guess only limits me to parabolics and factory springs. how are parabolics? i hear good and bad things about them.
suggestions on other options? i know there is the 63 chevy conversion and the 88 rear springs on the front which requires the front horns to be lengthened.
Parabolics with SOA will give you the most bang for the buck. Dan Rao's (slorocco) truck is the pinnacle of this configuration.

Quote:
axles:
ideally i would like to do toyota axle swaps. does anyone have a write up on this swap in a series? i know it can be done. but i dont know what needs to be changed or modified or if it even worth it.
another option is throw seriestech axles into the existing diff. but they seem like a lot of money for something that will still have drums. so than after spending all that on just axles i have to spend another 1000+ for a disc brake kit up front. Is it worth it? i am building this on somewhat of a budget.
will disco 24 spline axles fit? are they too long? i need some input on these things more than any of the other questions or are there other recommendations for axles? i would like at least front discs and 24 spline axles. this truck will be offroad so its not like i am just doing it for the hell of it.
For a variety of reasons keep the series axle tubes. If you want discs the ROAM kit is about the best available. Put in 24 spline Disco/RR diffs and specialty axles. That will allow you to upgrade to ARB diffs if you choose.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old October 15th, 2012, 05:24 PM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Quote:
As most of you know, i am building a 109.
I'm almost in the same boat, so will follow this thread with interest.
As you live in the US, if I were you I'd go SOA with Series axles + ROAM internals.
And Chevy conversion just because you can.

Chevy apart, I'd fit a Tdi in an heartbeat as well as alternative.

You have unlimited options!!
+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]
Old October 23rd, 2012, 01:22 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

With regards to the toy axles.... From my understanding you really want a 78 fj40 for the front disks and fine spline pinion. They are 4.11.
The front spring pertches are in the exact right place. no change needed except steering linkage and brake lines.
The rear need to be moved, but I'm not sure on a 109 because they are outboard (right?)
They are really strong axles and diffs, can be had for cheap and parts are easy.... . That said the ROAM stuff is really really nice!!!

For the tdi I went with a series 3 box/series-tcase/ and overdrive (I may give high ratio TC a shot also). I was really on the fence about the LT77. If I was doing a LWB I think I would have gone that route give the extra room and the added weight.

I'm almost to reassembly and will start a build... till then if you want any pics or anything just ask!
Old October 24th, 2012, 01:35 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Leave the suspension stock and run volvo C303 axles and an ashcroft t-case.
Old October 24th, 2012, 02:49 PM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
What he said
if you can find a correct pair in good conditions...
+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]
Old October 24th, 2012, 06:45 PM
aka rover
ed angel
95 D90

Registry
I kept my 109 housings and went with the ROAM disc brake kit which is very nice and stops GREAT!! I also installed there 24 spline rear axles put in a detroit locker and GBR 4.75 gears so I didnt have to run a spacer. I also did the P38 box and this 109 drives awsome

There is a lot more Series axle support these days so the toyota stuff isnt as appealing as it once was.

just my .02
67 NADA diesel tremec 4spd salisbury rear springs on front and a LOT MORE TO GO.

Old October 24th, 2012, 09:03 PM
killahaas
Dylan Haas
none for now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by D90user View Post
With regards to the toy axles.... From my understanding you really want a 78 fj40 for the front disks and fine spline pinion. They are 4.11.
The front spring pertches are in the exact right place. no change needed except steering linkage and brake lines.
The rear need to be moved, but I'm not sure on a 109 because they are outboard (right?)
They are really strong axles and diffs, can be had for cheap and parts are easy.... . That said the ROAM stuff is really really nice!!!

For the tdi I went with a series 3 box/series-tcase/ and overdrive (I may give high ratio TC a shot also). I was really on the fence about the LT77. If I was doing a LWB I think I would have gone that route give the extra room and the added weight.

I'm almost to reassembly and will start a build... till then if you want any pics or anything just ask!
thanks a lot! i just wish i knew where i would get a those axles! but thanks i will talk to you soon i am sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Leave the suspension stock and run volvo C303 axles and an ashcroft t-case.
where would i find those axles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka rover View Post
I kept my 109 housings and went with the ROAM disc brake kit which is very nice and stops GREAT!! I also installed there 24 spline rear axles put in a detroit locker and GBR 4.75 gears so I didnt have to run a spacer. I also did the P38 box and this 109 drives awsome

There is a lot more Series axle support these days so the toyota stuff isnt as appealing as it once was.

just my .02
thanks, i still think i am going to exact route you are going. i may contact you in regards to the GBR gears.
Old October 25th, 2012, 12:06 PM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by killahaas View Post
where would i find those axles?
In Sweden or UK...alternatively in the USA too, some converted their rigs and every now and then might even decide to go back to stock configuration...

Heck I came across a pair on sale here, shame I don't have the €€€
+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]
Old October 25th, 2012, 12:15 PM
evilfij
evilfij

I had a set of C303 axles. A lot of the C303 are rusted out so you can find them. The truck up in maine has them. I had a set I sold (stupid me) that I got from vince at real4x4.

They are the best axles for a series rover IMHO. The only issue I had was they really suck with stock series steering.
Old October 25th, 2012, 12:34 PM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
I had a set I sold (stupid me) that I got from vince at real4x4.
Brilliant

+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]
Old October 25th, 2012, 01:14 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cube II View Post
Brilliant

They took a perfectly nice restored series truck and made it into something I would not use.
Old October 25th, 2012, 01:37 PM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Oh well, fair enough...

...still...

...never sell portal axles if you have some

Did you ever get pics of that sweet Series they built?
+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]
Old October 25th, 2012, 01:48 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Who built?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions