LT230 Part Time 4WD Kit - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Old September 24th, 2017, 09:17 PM
Contractor
Will
1969 IIA

LT230 Part Time 4WD Kit

I have a IIA with a 200TDI in it.

I am putting an R380 and a new LT230 in it and ordered them from Ashcroft months ago. The only thing I have been waiting on was the part time 4WD kit. I have literally been waiting since June and the kits are backordered.

I am really ready to go ahead and get my box and T-case and get back on the road. I am considering forgoing the part time 4WD kit and just get my gearbox and transfer case.

I always thought the part time kit would be nice, but am honestly tired of waiting.

Should I be patient and continue to wait or go ahead and move forward? I understand there will be some more wear on the front end, but man I am ready to get back on the road.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 24th, 2017, 11:08 PM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

What's the advantage of a part time 4wd kit? I've driven my truck with just the rear driveshaft from CO to IL. The handling was not as good and I saw zero increase in gas mileage.
Old September 24th, 2017, 11:10 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
The main thing is it is a lot easier to do doughnuts in 2wd as opposed to full time 4wd. It's all about priorities.
Advertisement

Old September 24th, 2017, 11:51 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishEH View Post
What's the advantage of a part time 4wd kit? I've driven my truck with just the rear driveshaft from CO to IL. The handling was not as good and I saw zero increase in gas mileage.
Because Series trucks have u-joints in the front axle, not making them great at full time 4WD.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old September 25th, 2017, 08:03 PM
Contractor
Will
1969 IIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Because Series trucks have u-joints in the front axle, not making them great at full time 4WD.

Yep

I think I'll just keep waiting for now.
Old September 26th, 2017, 12:50 PM
east high
Gerad Davis
1967/s2a 88 200Tdi

A few years back when I was contemplating a LT77/LT230 swap I was reading up on what all to do to make it work. IIRC I read somewhere that the part-time 4x4 kit was no longer being made. It could be that your backorder is in limbo land. I also came across a solution via a bit of creative welding if you're eager to get going on your project. I'd post the full thread, but it looks like http://forums.lr4x4.com/ ist kaput. I was able to find an image of the fix, however.

Old September 26th, 2017, 08:31 PM
Contractor
Will
1969 IIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by east high View Post
A few years back when I was contemplating a LT77/LT230 swap I was reading up on what all to do to make it work. IIRC I read somewhere that the part-time 4x4 kit was no longer being made. It could be that your backorder is in limbo land. I also came across a solution via a bit of creative welding if you're eager to get going on your project. I'd post the full thread, but it looks like http://forums.lr4x4.com/ ist kaput. I was able to find an image of the fix, however.

Yeah, I have seen that thread.......I can't seem to find it now either.

All Ashcroft says is that their supplier has not responded to them which might mean NLA.

I have also found this online, I have not researched it at all and have no clue if it works like the Ashcroft kit.

LT 230 Part Time 2wd fulltime 4wd adapter
Old September 26th, 2017, 10:10 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
The Ashcroft kit is made by AVM in Brazil. You could just install freewheeling hubs and unlock them. That solves the whole issue.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old September 27th, 2017, 07:25 AM
slorocco
Dan Prasada-Rao
1963, 109 Station Wagon

In a stock series rover that front axle is always turning anyway. The drive is simply connected or disconnected at the transfer case when you move the right levers.

The LT230 would apply some driving force all the time but the center diff allows it to work with out binding up the front and rear driveshafts.

I'm not sure I'd worry about it too much. Get it back on the road and enjoy it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Tags
kit, lt230, part