Leaking T-Case and the E-Brake drum - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Old February 20th, 2012, 02:09 AM
paydan
Norberto
1979 RHD Series III

Leaking T-Case and the E-Brake drum

I am doing a total rebuild of my 79 series III landy and upon initial inspection I noticed a pretty good amount of oil leaking from the rear output of the T-case. It seems to be leaking from the rear output and into the E-brake drum. Has anybody encountered this and if so, do you have any suggestions? Thanks everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 20th, 2012, 02:50 AM
paydan
Norberto
1979 RHD Series III

Hey thanks for the information Jeff. Since I have never worked with a tranny nor a t-case, can you tell me how hard (or easy) replacing that seal is?
Old February 20th, 2012, 08:20 AM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

Get a cheapo seal puller from the auto store, it will save you headaches. On the bottom of the housing/extension between the break and the transfer case there is a little hole that is suppose to be clear for any oil to weep out before it reaches the brake it gets clogged make sure its clear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 20th, 2012, 10:09 AM
TeriAnn
Teriann Wakeman
1960 Dormobile

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
You need a new output seal, and a couple cans of brake clean. Be sure to clean/polish the sealing surface on the output stub, and smear it with grease before installing the new seal.

-Jeff
Get the double lip version of the seal. The survival of the seal depends upon getting the end play of the output shaft correct. That is set by the shims between the transfer case and the speedometer housing. The workshop manual will walk you through it step by step.

When you have the speedo housing off you will notice a vertical slot going down from the back of the seal. This slot is to allow drainage of any seepage past the seal so it does not soak the parking brake. Be sure this slot stays open when you reassemble everything.

If you do not have a workshop manual get one. It is well written and essential to have for long term ownership.

Basically you remove the rear prop shaft, mechanical brake parts, speedo housing being carful not to loose of damage any spacer shims to get at the output seal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old February 20th, 2012, 01:53 PM
paydan
Norberto
1979 RHD Series III

Thanks for the description TeriAnn. I have the rear prop shaft off and now I am in the midst of removing the brake. So the seal is located behind the speedo housing? From there is it pretty much a pull the old one out, clean the area and put the new one back in job? Jeff is graciously emailing me an S3 manual. Thanks you guys.
Old February 20th, 2012, 02:09 PM
aka rover
ed angel
95 D90

Registry
I just rebuilt my case but here is a pic of the speedo housing off the case, the seal is on the out side just behind the output shaft yoke.

If you decide to setup the preload on the output shaft keep the shims clean and un damaged, I take the thicker ones and keep them on the ends of the stack to protect the thinner ones.

Have fun
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	002 (2).jpg
Views:	104
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	47904  
67 NADA diesel tremec 4spd salisbury rear springs on front and a LOT MORE TO GO.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Tags
brake