Is it easy to install Disco1 axles onto a leaf sprung series truck? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Old August 24th, 2011, 07:58 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Question Is it easy to install Disco1 axles onto a leaf sprung series truck?

I'd like to do a real easy swap so that way my series III will have disc brakes. Easy conversion or hellish nightmare?

Neil

Robert Deniro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 24th, 2011, 08:31 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Just need to weld on spring perches

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old August 24th, 2011, 08:35 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Well, they are wider so the wheel will stick out further.

They have completely different gearing, so it might be undriveable.

The steering linkage arrangement is completely different.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 24th, 2011, 10:42 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
And unless you do some modifications to the brake system I am not sure you'll gain any benefit either
Old August 24th, 2011, 11:25 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
You can "install" them into the back of a 109 pretty easy.
1. Open the door
2. Move the junk
3. Shove them in, one at a time
4. Close door
Old August 25th, 2011, 12:20 AM
1962siia88
Daniel Rogers
1962siia88

Registry
Its not a straight forward swap. Thats why you dont see it done very much. There is a thread on expedition portal that you can find with a quick search that shows some rrc axles on a 109.

Daniel
Old August 25th, 2011, 03:08 AM
Albersj51
jason
1967 2a

An "easy swap" to get disc brakes is to get FJ40 axles from late 70's on (i think 76+ hsd discs). You'll need to cut off the toyota perches and move them to line up with the rover springs and weld them on. It may require a custom rear driveshaft, too. Do a google search and you should find more info.
Old August 25th, 2011, 07:47 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
What about a brake booster, proportional valves etc? Or does a SIII already have those?
Old August 25th, 2011, 08:05 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
If you have them set up properly, the drums do a pretty good job.
Back in the days when it was my daily driver, the 109 wagon would easily lock up all 4 wheels if I jabbed the pedal. Didn't take much pedal pressure either. That was with single circuit 11 inch "wide" type drums.
I always set the snail cams so that there was a little bit of drag if the wheel was spun by hand. With all the lines bled and this adjustment, I had about 2 inches of pedal travel from zero to full on. Very easily modulated too.
Not hating drum brakes.
I would recommend going to the larger drums all around (or at least up front), along with a vacuum booster and dual circuit. These are all "off the shelf" parts that you can have on your doorstep in a matter of days. That will save you from a lot of re engineering.

If you must have disc brakes, there are a couple places that sell conversion kits for Series axles. Again, the engineering aspect has been worked out so that it's a matter of bolting on the parts.
http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/discBrake.htm

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old August 25th, 2011, 11:21 AM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

Neill, if your SIII is an 88 and you don't do serious off-roading, there's really no reason to convert to discs other than just wanting to. The drums, as Bill said, are fine when in proper order. Not to mention that with a stock motor and Series trans/gearing, stopping is usually not a problem ( the problem is getting going).
Old August 25th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Well see, the thing is, I want to pull off the wings and start measuring the motor mounts for a small block chevy with TH700R. Just for shits and giggles since the car just sits in my parking lot. I want to play around with this thing since its so cheap to own. Registration plus hagerty is less than $200 a year. And it is true, i don't do any offroading, but if I do the chevy thing it will need to stop faster thats for damn sure. Nice write up by Ann on th conversion.

------ Follow up post added August 25th, 2011 12:38 PM ------

I read in an article on LRO a few years back about a guy who welded on disco hubs onto his series axles plumbed into his stock series booster and master and it worked perfect.

Robert Deniro
Old August 25th, 2011, 07:18 PM
JBinAlabama
john
Series 2A ..more parts on the way

Thats Cool Neil!

Fire it up dude!

I cant wait to get all my parts galvanized and really get started, this prep stuff is getting tiring!
Old August 26th, 2011, 09:09 PM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
Just need to weld on spring perches
maybe for the rear...the front will require fabricating shock mountings that will require removing a large part of the coil system brackets and or a complete redesign of the front dampening.

The real rub which is the engineering and fabrication of a high steer steering to clear the leaf springs .

....and upgrading of the braking hydraulics although I'm sure there are those that would disagree.

....and your back to full time hubs as selectable hubs for coilers are limited to the crap AVM units unless you are real crafty.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old August 27th, 2011, 02:02 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyddog11 View Post
the front will require fabricating shock mountings that will require removing a large part of the coil system brackets and or a complete redesign of the front dampening.
Surely all the coil spring, panhard rod and axle locating brackets will need removing All you'll need is some spring seats fabricating and welding on. Sounds easy when you say it quickly

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyddog11 View Post
The real rub which is the engineering and fabrication of a high steer steering to clear the leaf springs .
That's the tricky part. Although I did read (many years ago) of someone who had managed to fit RRC axles to a series 1 with the standard RRC steering tubes fitted up to the series steering box without modification by ( I believe) very careful positioning of the spring seats. No I've no idea what mag it was or how long ago before you ask
Old August 28th, 2011, 03:17 PM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeslandrover View Post
Surely all the coil spring, panhard rod and axle locating brackets will need removing All you'll need is some spring seats fabricating and welding on. Sounds easy when you say it quickly
That's what I was referring to when I mentioned "that will require removing a large part of the coil system brackets"

------ Follow up post added August 28th, 2011 03:21 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeslandrover View Post
That's the tricky part. Although I did read (many years ago) of someone who had managed to fit RRC axles to a series 1 with the standard RRC steering tubes fitted up to the series steering box without modification by ( I believe) very careful positioning of the spring seats. No I've no idea what mag it was or how long ago before you ask
It could be done but you will end up with some severely compromised steering geometry

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

Old August 29th, 2011, 12:26 PM
oilburner
JL
large pile of parts

I've seen one done where they kept all the stock steering bits from the coiler and just built some gargantuum spring pads to raise the tie rod above the spring. They were huge. The springs hung down a lot and I didn't think it was a particularly good system.

I always wanted to find a RHD steering knuckle and just run all the steering bits ahead of the axle by using both swivel drag link arms and a crossover rod (and cutting off the stuff behind the axle). Yes you end up with reverse ackerman, I never calculated how bad it would be. A lot of 4wds have reverse ackerman, including a Series! Some of the rock crawler crowd do this as well (for clearance).
Diesel-swapped 1994 80 series Land-cruiser
And a difflocked 4wd turbodiesel Lambo
Old August 29th, 2011, 02:10 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
Well see, the thing is, I want to pull off the wings and start measuring the motor mounts for a small block chevy with TH700R.
It won't fit. 700R too long. You need Scotty Adapter to mate Chevy to Series trans. Contact Mr Bobeck. He has what you need. That way you can put in the V8 without changing the driveline geometry. Only issues will be rad/breakfast clearance and the exhaust routing.
Others have been down this road long before you. Just do your research and you'll see how to proceed.

Just a word to the wise...having been thru a conversion myself, that you are way better served with the stock engine and gears, drum brakes and dodgy electrical system. If you wheel much you will soon find that the Series can more than keep up with your coiler buds. It's all finesse, not force.

1968 2A 88

Old August 29th, 2011, 02:24 PM
oilburner
JL
large pile of parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
It won't fit. 700R too long. You need Scotty Adapter to mate Chevy to Series trans. Contact Mr Bobeck. He has what you need. That way you can put in the V8 without changing the driveline geometry. Only issues will be rad/breakfast clearance and the exhaust routing.
Others have been down this road long before you. Just do your research and you'll see how to proceed.

Just a word to the wise...having been thru a conversion myself, that you are way better served with the stock engine and gears, drum brakes and dodgy electrical system. If you wheel much you will soon find that the Series can more than keep up with your coiler buds. It's all finesse, not force.
Bad advice as usual!

I think that in order to be "through" a conversion, you actually have to finish it.
Diesel-swapped 1994 80 series Land-cruiser
And a difflocked 4wd turbodiesel Lambo
Old August 29th, 2011, 03:32 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilburner View Post
Bad advice as usual!

I think that in order to be "through" a conversion, you actually have to finish it.
Did, mate. Redoing it with diesel power now.

How is telling the man that the 700 is too long bad advice? Do you know something about it I don't? That trans is 24 inches long frome the back of the engine before you even get a transfer case on it. In an 88 the rear drive shaft will be pointing down too much.
If he's putting it in a 109, then no problem.

Just looked up the Advance Adapters Series to GM ten spline and it would appear that you would need the "Dana 300 to TH700" as well as the "Dana 300 to LR series" kit. This will add another 6-odd inches (and 1000 clams) to the transmission before the transfer case goes on, assuming one wants to retain the Series TC.

1968 2A 88

Old August 29th, 2011, 04:04 PM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilburner View Post
I always wanted to find a RHD steering knuckle and just run all the steering bits ahead of the axle by using both swivel drag link arms and a crossover rod (and cutting off the stuff behind the axle). Yes you end up with reverse ackerman, I never calculated how bad it would be. A lot of 4wds have reverse ackerman, including a Series! Some of the rock crawler crowd do this as well (for clearance).
That would be the reason I've saved all the bits from RHD-LHD conversions eh? actually sold off all but one knuckle thinking I might try this one day.

That and sticking a 7.3l powerstroke in my SI.....lol

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Tags
axle, disco, series