Is it easy to install Disco1 axles onto a leaf sprung series truck? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Old August 29th, 2011, 05:03 PM
oilburner
JL
large pile of parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
Did, mate. Redoing it with diesel power now.

How is telling the man that the 700 is too long bad advice? Do you know something about it I don't? That trans is 24 inches long frome the back of the engine before you even get a transfer case on it. In an 88 the rear drive shaft will be pointing down too much.
If he's putting it in a 109, then no problem.

Just looked up the Advance Adapters Series to GM ten spline and it would appear that you would need the "Dana 300 to TH700" as well as the "Dana 300 to LR series" kit. This will add another 6-odd inches (and 1000 clams) to the transmission before the transfer case goes on, assuming one wants to retain the Series TC.
You give people bad advice all the time. A 700R4 is not too long. Length is not the issue. You could put a 700R4 in a SWB with a small block chevy, with no real length issues. You just don't know how. You recommended putting a small block chevy ahead of a series truck trans with a Scotty's adaptor instead. For driveline angles. That's really bad advice. Any decent Chevy V8 will shred that trans within a few thousand miles.

Then, more bad advice, saying it would fit no problem in a 109. That's dead wrong. Why? The pan is too wide. The front driveshaft interferes with it if you use a Series case. The issue is not the length, but the width. The Series T case does not have enough offset to clear the pan. So, in three posts, you've managed to be dead wrong, on all three counts. One, that it's too long. Two, that he should use a series trans. Three, that it would work in a 109, without any issues.

Look, I am not looking for a war here, I generally try and be a nice guy. But you are literally batting a thousand for being wrong. Virtually in every conversion related post you have put on here, people are getting misinformed.
Diesel-swapped 1994 80 series Land-cruiser
And a difflocked 4wd turbodiesel Lambo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 29th, 2011, 05:31 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Ok I'll try not to offer any more. I'll let you field all the questions.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old August 30th, 2011, 09:24 AM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

Maybe more to the point is why does it make sense to replace a 1960's engine with another 1960's engine when there are sooooo many better engines available which are far more suitable for a Land Rover? Been there done that with small block chevys. Great engines when set up correctly and sitting in a Camaro. But I just can't see the sense of one in a Series truck. In fact, it's not really a Series truck when you get done with all of the mods.
There's better ways to go ,imho.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 30th, 2011, 02:30 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

I just like the fact that I could go to any autozone and get Taiwanese parts for it..

Robert Deniro
Old August 30th, 2011, 05:19 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevkon View Post
There's better ways to go ,imho.
Can you enumerate some of the options if you are not interested in more horsepower necessarily? Although I'm not sure why else people do engine swaps. A diesel I get. Just curious.
Old August 30th, 2011, 06:12 PM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

There is just a large selection of 4 and 6 cyl gas and diesel engines that would fit better, run better, get better fuel economy, more performance, and which are common. I realize it's a personal choice, I just don't see a V8 as the best option especially on a Series truck. If I change out the 2.25 on mine, I may go with a Ford Durotec 4 cyl. or if I go diesel an Isuzu 4cyl.
Then again, I'm not hauling a lot nor doing serious highway travelling. If you are and need more hp, I still think there are better options than a V8.

Neill, you don't have to go for a Chevy small block to buy Taiwanese parts, you can do that with any Land Rover engine
Old August 30th, 2011, 07:15 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Well you can even buy a SBC at autozone. I like the availability of parts and common knowledge from just about anyone on how to work on one. Plus they dress up quite nicely. Mated to a 700R, thats some smooth motoring ahead. This is what I believe what I want from a series truck. As far as disco 1 axles, I don't care if the wheels stick out far, I just want disc brakes.

Robert Deniro
Old August 30th, 2011, 09:07 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

Check out late model fj40 axles. The steering linkage fits with SUA, are just a smidge wider than stock series, are bullet proof compared to coil rover stuff, and have front disks. If you want rear disks there are kits for ~350$.

I bought a set from a member here and they are under the series 1. You can find them everywhere and all that needs to be done is the perches need moving, drive shaft flange change, and brake line adapters, and the rear breather needs moving. It really is a good solution.

What about a 200tdi Neil?
Old August 30th, 2011, 09:42 PM
slorocco
Dan Prasada-Rao
1963, 109 Station Wagon

You ought to give Matthew Jackson a call over at Advanced adapters. He's played around with small block chevys and series rovers for a few years.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Tags
axle, disco, series