IIa stuck in 4 Hi - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Old April 23rd, 2015, 12:38 PM
roverguy
Robert
1995 RRC

Registry
IIa stuck in 4 Hi

My IIa is stuck in 4 hi or 4 low, I have locking front hubs, is it okay to drive the truck like this until I have time to look at it further? Thanks.
2000 DII (SOLD)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 23rd, 2015, 12:45 PM
BRAB
Brandon
200TDI in a RHD 1986 D90

If you are referring to fourth gear High Low

It might be that the special nut on your output shaft of the transmission has gotten loose.
My friend Johnsd90 had the same issue at winter romp.

we removed the inspection plate and the and the pto cover and tightened it up and it started working again.
Old April 23rd, 2015, 02:21 PM
rwollschlager
Rob Wollschlager
72 SIII 88

Registry
red knob forward: 2wd high
red knob forward, yellow knob depressed: 4wd high
red knob backwards (to disengage 4 high): 4wd high
vehicle will not be in 4wd until hubs are in locked position.

it's stuck in either 4 high or 4 low? So if i'm understanding this correctly you can't shift out of 4wd at all?
As soon as you pull the red knob back (to engage low range) the yellow knob should shoot up to disengage 4wd high automatically (to echo Jeff) if the spring is in place below the knob. If you can get high range, you will be fine driving so long as you unlock the hubs.

I had some trouble shifting my transfer case after a long stint of not using low range at all. What freed it up was lots of rocking and rolling and just pulling the lever until it engaged ultimately.

There is a cover on the front output side of the transfer case for the shifter forks to sit in, pull that off and clean it up. Try shifting without the cover in place. Residual junk in there from not using it can cause difficulty shifting. Part #26 Series II, IIA, III, Transmission Levers and Linkage - Rovers North - Classic Land Rover Parts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 23rd, 2015, 02:52 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by roverguy View Post
My IIa is stuck in 4 hi or 4 low, I have locking front hubs, is it okay to drive the truck like this until I have time to look at it further? Thanks.
Yeah, you can, just unlock the front hubs so they freewheel. If your linkage is good, I would check the rear mainshaft nut that BRAB refered to, mine was backed off all the way to the cover. We bodged it back together at romp and that got it drivable because before the whole driveline binded. But we essentially got the nut 1/2way between where it was and where it was suposed to be. After it was bodged it displayed pretty much identical symtoms as you are describing. So despite me pulling the red lever and putting it back I couldn't get it to come out of 4wd, so I had to quick pull over so I could unlock the front hubs so I could drive home at 2am. When I put a brand new nut and washer on it was a night and day difference.

The pic is the nut in question when we initially pulled the inspection cover on the top of the transfer case, you can get to this by removing the middle seat and the panel below it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	119045  
Old April 23rd, 2015, 03:42 PM
LR Max
Thomason, Max
1973 Series 3 109

Did you engage 4 low and watch the yellow knob pop back up?

If so, then shift back into high range and you are good to go.
Old April 24th, 2015, 08:46 AM
LRover
J. Michael McCaig
D90 ST, LR110, Series IIa, RRC

Check the 3rd - 4th synchronizer. If the the three pins get bent or out of alignment, the center part won't slide and it gets stuck in gear. Not very technical terms but it is a fairly common issue. Most often occurs with the trans stuck in 3rd after a quick or sudden downshift. You can see the synchronizer if you remove the transmission top cover.
Old April 24th, 2015, 12:14 PM
roverguy
Robert
1995 RRC

Registry
I can shift into 4 low, but I can't bring it back into hi without pushing the yellow lever down to engage 4wd, if I shift the TC into neutral it pops out. I can only get into hi or low by pushing down on yellow
2000 DII (SOLD)
Old April 28th, 2015, 12:50 PM
Ignotus
gene
1960 109, w/200TDI

Sounds like what Rob said^^^^^^gunk in the front of the transfercase shifter. Take the cover off and clean it up.

HTH
Blog;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions