IIa Skippy - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Old January 18th, 2013, 10:18 PM
isleofbones
Mike Deery
1984 D-90

IIa Skippy

I saw a series IIa listed on ebay (link below) and had a few questions. It is mentioned that the tranny is low geared. Would anyone know if there were multiple gearings for various IIa models? I owned a '69 IIa and it revved very high after you drove over 45mph. Does anyone know if overdrive units are unique to left hand drive or right hand drive units (are they the same unit for both applications.)? This is a rhd model. Is this "Skippy" model rare and does it seem like a good buy... I think it is. Looks clean. Any ideas, thoughts, etc. would be appreciated. I see it is lacking door tops. Thanks for input.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ack=true#v4-36
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 18th, 2013, 10:31 PM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
Is it just me or is there a chassis to body alignment issue?

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 BRG FHC For Sale
Old January 18th, 2013, 10:37 PM
isleofbones
Mike Deery
1984 D-90

Hi John-
Do you mean left to right (shifted) or that the truck looks to be leaning or listing to the right? I thought it looked to be listing. Or, do you mean that the rear tires are not centered in the wheel arches (look like they are closer to the front of the wheel arch) .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 18th, 2013, 10:47 PM
giftshopduane
Chris luciano
72 Series 3 88"

They kind of all have a list.. it looks right to me, the lack of sills and cut up wings create a weird optical illusion, the rear axle always sits funny on a leafer. Interesting vehicle.
Old January 20th, 2013, 12:22 PM
TeriAnn
Teriann Wakeman
1960 Dormobile

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by isleofbones View Post
I saw a series IIa listed on ebay (link below) and had a few questions. It is mentioned that the tranny is low geared. Would anyone know if there were multiple gearings for various IIa models? I owned a '69 IIa and it revved very high after you drove over 45mph. Does anyone know if overdrive units are unique to left hand drive or right hand drive units (are they the same unit for both applications.)? This is a rhd model. Is this "Skippy" model rare and does it seem like a good buy... I think it is. Looks clean. Any ideas, thoughts, etc. would be appreciated. I see it is lacking door tops. Thanks for input.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ack=true#v4-36
The IIA forward control and the One-ton models had gearboxes with lower gears. The Series II and early IIA models had a slightly lower geared transfercase. Otherwise IIA gearing on normal production civilian models had a standard set of gearing. Military or commercial contracts could have specified the One ton gearbox & transfercase for a vehicle doing heavy towing.

Overdrives don't care which side the steering is on but they want a standard Series transfercase with standard gearing. The 'Skippy" model is very rare in the US but may not be rare in New Zealand where it came from. It looks clean to me and is priced to sell.

Someone commented about the wheel placement in the wheel wells. The stock Series did not have their axles centered in the wheel arch. They tend to be forward of centre.

I did not notice any unusual leaning though I was surprised to see extended shackles on an 88. It appear to me that the camera may not have been held exactly level.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old January 20th, 2013, 01:14 PM
isleofbones
Mike Deery
1984 D-90

Terriann-
Thanks for the highly detailed information. It is very helpful.
Old January 20th, 2013, 04:13 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Interesting that the NZ'ers would name a LR after an Australian bush kangaroo (Skippy was our Lassie) check it out on Youtube....not sure that is 100% correct, as there is no way in H#$$ that the Aussies would call a car a KIWI!!!!

You might do some research. Could be but...
Old February 1st, 2013, 04:38 PM
Jopadorr
John Dorr
59 109 hybrid

That is actually a pretty unusual land rover. Some but not all Austrailian military 88's came with a chassis similar to the MOD 109 chassis in that they had extended spring front hangers- and thus a higher ride height. Check out the REME site for more info.
Ive always wanted one, but obviously there are not too many over here...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions