Hi Lift Jack External Lockable Mount Suggesstions - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old January 22nd, 2015, 10:58 AM
WildBoar's Avatar
WildBoar
Status: Offline
Derek Borror
109 withdrawals filled by a 110
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Apex, NC
Posts: 305
Registry
Hi Lift Jack External Lockable Mount Suggesstions

I want to mount my hi lift on the outside of the 109 much like these pictures. I don't have a swing away tire carrier though. Any comments or suggestions? Particularly interested on the hardware anyone has used to lock the jack to the truck in this fashion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	images1.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	111736  
Attached Images
 
__________________
"I think we are good...its still dripping"
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old January 22nd, 2015, 12:50 PM
rwollschlager's Avatar
rwollschlager
Status: Offline
Rob Wollschlager
72 SIII 88
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Omaha NE / Mystic CT
Posts: 385
Registry
I've seen the set up lack Jeff mentioned before, and I've also seen people drill into their tub to fit one of these: http://www.quadratec.com/products/92...pc3BoCbPDw_wcB

Before installing it though, make sure you REALLY like it there, otherwise you're left with extra holes.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old January 22nd, 2015, 08:04 PM
airbornrover's Avatar
airbornrover
Status: Offline
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Land by parkway and 33
Posts: 1,882
Its easy just buy the warn angle mount. Cut a sheet of aluminum to use as a spreader (if you will). Place them on the interior, drill your holes, mount the brackets. The studs on the brackets have a hole in them so you can use a padlock to keep it in place. Easy peasy.
__________________
Quote:
Just to be clear, i was not bragging. i was calling you a pussy. Ren Ching
There is nothing as permanent as a temporary fix. JSBriggs
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old January 22nd, 2015, 09:47 PM
WildBoar's Avatar
WildBoar
Status: Offline
Derek Borror
109 withdrawals filled by a 110
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Apex, NC
Posts: 305
Registry
Looks like there are several ways to skin this cat. All good suggestions....thanks everyone. Just wanted to make sure nobody had any bad experience with hanging one of these in the upright position at that location. Looks like it shouldn't cause any problems.
__________________
"I think we are good...its still dripping"
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old January 25th, 2015, 09:18 PM
Alaskantinbender's Avatar
Alaskantinbender
Status: Offline
jim
63 series 2A 109 3 door
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Wasilla, Alaska
Posts: 34
Registry
I used the Hi Lift mount on mine. Just bolted on. The only problem so far is that depending on your spare tire size the rear door wont open all the way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	303089_4326787141028_767757667_n.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	187.2 KB
ID:	111971  
__________________
1995 D90 SW 338/500
1963 S2A 109 3 door
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old January 26th, 2015, 08:27 AM
WildBoar's Avatar
WildBoar
Status: Offline
Derek Borror
109 withdrawals filled by a 110
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Apex, NC
Posts: 305
Registry
Thanks Jim!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskantinbender View Post
I used the Hi Lift mount on mine. Just bolted on. The only problem so far is that depending on your spare tire size the rear door wont open all the way.
__________________
"I think we are good...its still dripping"
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old January 26th, 2015, 11:03 AM
curry's Avatar
curry
Status: Offline
brandon curry
Series 1 and 110.
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: bloomfield hills, mi
Posts: 623
Registry
I have the same setup as Jim on my IIA. I moved my plate to the right side of the truck and have the Hi-Lift on the left. Works great. Sits perfect on the bumper handle to take the weight.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6370.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	111988
(just rotate your head 90 to the left)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old January 26th, 2015, 01:35 PM
WildBoar's Avatar
WildBoar
Status: Offline
Derek Borror
109 withdrawals filled by a 110
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Apex, NC
Posts: 305
Registry
Definitely a good idea to let the bumper handle take the downward weight. This seems like the best set up for me. Do you have the ability to lock it to deter theft? I know I have been focused on the ability to lock the jack to the truck, maybe I am just being too over-cautious?

Anyone ever have their externally mounted jack stolen?


Quote:
Originally Posted by curry View Post
I have the same setup as Jim on my IIA. I moved my plate to the right side of the truck and have the Hi-Lift on the left. Works great. Sits perfect on the bumper handle to take the weight.

Attachment 111988
(just rotate your head 90 to the left)
__________________
"I think we are good...its still dripping"
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old January 26th, 2015, 01:47 PM
curry's Avatar
curry
Status: Offline
brandon curry
Series 1 and 110.
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: bloomfield hills, mi
Posts: 623
Registry
With my setup I have a lock that attaches the Hi-Lift through one of the holes on the base to the handle on my bumper. Sure somebody could pull a few cotter pins and separate the base from the body, but I'm not thinking thats really a thing. Besides, I think that the winch on the front of my truck would be a better bet for somebody to steal. Undo a few hex bolts and see ya later...
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old January 26th, 2015, 01:57 PM
the rover shop
Status: Offline
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: ft lauderdale florida
Posts: 5,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by curry View Post
With my setup I have a lock that attaches the Hi-Lift through one of the holes on the base to the handle on my bumper. Sure somebody could pull a few cotter pins and separate the base from the body, but I'm not thinking thats really a thing. Besides, I think that the winch on the front of my truck would be a better bet for somebody to steal. Undo a few hex bolts and see ya later...
Good to know... WHAt kinda winch, and where do you live..
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old January 26th, 2015, 01:59 PM
curry's Avatar
curry
Status: Offline
brandon curry
Series 1 and 110.
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: bloomfield hills, mi
Posts: 623
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
Good to know... WHAt kinda winch, and where do you live..
The kind now attached with some Loctite Red.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old February 3rd, 2015, 12:56 PM
WildBoar's Avatar
WildBoar
Status: Offline
Derek Borror
109 withdrawals filled by a 110
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Apex, NC
Posts: 305
Registry
Well, here is the end result. Decided to use the standard Hi-Lift jack mounting brackets. The wing nuts on the mounting brackets provide the ability to put a lock on either them. All the jack weight is literally on the bumper pull handle. I decided to mount the second bracket up further up on the roof to spread out the attachment points. I hope the concourse judges don't ding me on the extra holes in the roof (joke of course). I figure the roof rack will get ripped off before the jack catches on anything.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	112686   Click image for larger version

Name:	image2 (1).jpg
Views:	152
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	112687  

__________________
"I think we are good...its still dripping"
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old February 3rd, 2015, 12:59 PM
curry's Avatar
curry
Status: Offline
brandon curry
Series 1 and 110.
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: bloomfield hills, mi
Posts: 623
Registry
Very nice
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old February 3rd, 2015, 04:26 PM
Alaskantinbender's Avatar
Alaskantinbender
Status: Offline
jim
63 series 2A 109 3 door
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Wasilla, Alaska
Posts: 34
Registry
That looks great.
What about the door mounted spare and jack clearance issue?


Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBoar View Post
Well, here is the end result. Decided to use the standard Hi-Lift jack mounting brackets. The wing nuts on the mounting brackets provide the ability to put a lock on either them. All the jack weight is literally on the bumper pull handle. I decided to mount the second bracket up further up on the roof to spread out the attachment points. I hope the concourse judges don't ding me on the extra holes in the roof (joke of course). I figure the roof rack will get ripped off before the jack catches on anything.
__________________
1995 D90 SW 338/500
1963 S2A 109 3 door
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old February 3rd, 2015, 08:38 PM
WildBoar's Avatar
WildBoar
Status: Offline
Derek Borror
109 withdrawals filled by a 110
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Apex, NC
Posts: 305
Registry
Thanks! Right, there is a small clearance issue with the spare and the door. It will open up to about 90 degrees which keeps it functional but not ideal. Eventually I would like to get a swing away spare carrier to get the weight of that big tire off the rear door anyway.
__________________
"I think we are good...its still dripping"
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old February 3rd, 2015, 08:54 PM
Rufus's Avatar
Rufus
Status: Offline
Rufus
1994 NAS D90 ST #1118
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: South Shore, MASS
Posts: 491
Registry
Nice work. If you have a cover put it on the jack. The back always accumulates tons of grit
__________________
"Sometimes, there's a man. And I'm talkin' about the Dude here. Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place"

D90 Yahoo Group member since 2001
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old February 3rd, 2015, 09:12 PM
WildBoar's Avatar
WildBoar
Status: Offline
Derek Borror
109 withdrawals filled by a 110
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Apex, NC
Posts: 305
Registry
Great advice. Looking online for one now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
Nice work. If you have a cover put it on the jack. The back always accumulates tons of grit
__________________
"I think we are good...its still dripping"
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old February 3rd, 2015, 09:25 PM
airbornrover's Avatar
airbornrover
Status: Offline
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Land by parkway and 33
Posts: 1,882
That thing doesnt need a cover just pour some Coke, wd40, or just piss on it every so often. It'll be just fine.
__________________
Quote:
Just to be clear, i was not bragging. i was calling you a pussy. Ren Ching
There is nothing as permanent as a temporary fix. JSBriggs
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old February 7th, 2015, 02:42 PM
TeriAnn's Avatar
TeriAnn
Status: Offline
Teriann Wakeman
1960 Dormobile
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Flagstaff, AZ USA
Posts: 247
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBoar View Post
I want to mount my hi lift on the outside of the 109 much like these pictures. I don't have a swing away tire carrier though. Any comments or suggestions? Particularly interested on the hardware anyone has used to lock the jack to the truck in this fashion.
Since one of the pictures of your examples is my truck I suppose I should reply.

I just went out and took some new and better detail pictures of how I mounted my hi-lift jack. I added those to my web page along with additional text. The jack mount has been on the truck for 18 years now and has been on a lot of long off road trips under just about every weather condition without any issue beyond needing to occasionally lube the lock.

If you want to see how mine is mounted the pictures are near the bottom of the web page:

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/GRdetail1.htm

The pictures have just been uploaded so may take a couple house to get to your local server.
__________________
TeriAnn
1960 Land Rover Dormobile, The go anywhere class B RV
1961 Triumph TR3A. Life is too short not to drive a classic British roadster.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old February 7th, 2015, 06:49 PM
WildBoar's Avatar
WildBoar
Status: Offline
Derek Borror
109 withdrawals filled by a 110
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Apex, NC
Posts: 305
Registry
Thanks TeriAnn. I will definitely take a look at your new pictures.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TeriAnn View Post
Since one of the pictures of your examples is my truck I suppose I should reply. I just went out and took some new and better detail pictures of how I mounted my hi-lift jack. I added those to my web page along with additional text. The jack mount has been on the truck for 18 years now and has been on a lot of long off road trips under just about every weather condition without any issue beyond needing to occasionally lube the lock. If you want to see how mine is mounted the pictures are near the bottom of the web page: http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/GRdetail1.htm The pictures have just been uploaded so may take a couple house to get to your local server.
__________________
"I think we are good...its still dripping"
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, mount

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spare Tire Hi Lift Jack Mount Jpayne For Sale - Parts 100 September 22nd, 2014 08:57 AM
Best way to rear mount a Hi-Lift Jack? silverlight Defender Technical Discussions 23 August 1st, 2013 10:28 AM
Hi lift jack mount prototype Jpayne Misc. Chit-Chat 14 November 26th, 2011 10:23 PM
Hi-Lift Jack Spare Wheel Mount nikojo Defender Technical Discussions 13 January 22nd, 2011 01:52 AM
Rear Receiver Hi-Lift Jack Mount Wolf Fabrication For Sale - Parts 16 April 6th, 2009 05:46 PM

» Defender Registry

Green Mile

Jdc0430

D

drsmiley
Add your Defender

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:20 AM.


Copyright