Hey Guys - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Old September 6th, 2015, 10:53 AM
Scotty
Scotty
1963 Series II A 88

Hey Guys

Hello fellow Landy folks, My name is Scotti. I am not new to the Land Rover world by any means. I am operator owner of becmdoctor.com & socalusedroverpart.com these site are linked and are one site serving one purpose, the P38 world. I have owned a lot of P38's and currently own 3 all restored. I love the P38, please hold your jokes. lol ok enough of that!

I have been looking for a new project for several years, my requirements are the following.

I want a Series II complete, but needs to be restored
I want it to find it in a barn sitting for the last 50 years in California
I want it for free (lol) or really cheap since I have no money, that would be great!
If I can find an Orange one that would be perfect as orange is my favorite color

I don't think this is too much to ask.. Or is it. Hmmmm

Well here it is, I found this 88 Series II A, sitting in a guys back yard for 40 years! Its only a couple of miles from my house. These folks are the original owner of the Landy. It was a daily driver for the family back in the day. Unfortunately something happen to the head so the dad tore it apart, and as we all know life happened and it never got fixed, it just sat. Well the next generation of there family took over the property and again it just sat. It is registered here in Ca, and they did take out a ( non op ) on it, so the registration is all up to date. Now I have ZERO experience with these Rovers, however most of my closest friends grew up in England and have first hand knowledge of the Series Rovers. I have been doing research on the 88 for a few years so I'm not going in blind, I think hmmm. I will start a complete body off restoration on it this next week. I am very excited..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	013.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	128884   Click image for larger version

Name:	150.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	128885  

Name:	014.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	128886   Click image for larger version

Name:	149.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	128887  

Name:	027.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	128888   Click image for larger version

Name:	029.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	128889  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 6th, 2015, 11:26 AM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Welcome to the real world Scott. I hang out at rangerover.net as well. But this is where I spend most of my time.

There is someone else on here as well that goes back and forth. I can't remember who though.

The group on this site is so much better to hang out with and are always online and always willing to help.
Old September 6th, 2015, 11:28 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Great find. Please don't destroy 40 years of patina in some over the top restoration. A refresh of the mechanicals and sympathetic touch up would preserve the history of such a great truck!
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 6th, 2015, 11:40 AM
Scotty
Scotty
1963 Series II A 88

Luis, Thank you, I've been trying to stay away from RR.Net moving on to better things as you see..

rijosho, That's certainly a thought, to be honest I was thinking paint as well.. Who knows will have to see.

Scotti
Old September 6th, 2015, 11:57 AM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
I go to RR.net on my days off only now. But I'm on D-90.com more than some people are on Facebook. This is the extent of my social network.

And I love my P38. I just wish things would stop going out faster than my paychecks. Need to park it so I can catch up.

I'm hoping for a 109 Series III in my future. Then I will probably call my garage complete.
Old September 6th, 2015, 12:09 PM
Scotty
Scotty
1963 Series II A 88

Cool, I have wanted the 88 for awhile, I hope to have a D 110 in my future..I'm over the P38, I do have a few that I will probably never part with, but I'm on to better things. I'll keep the P38 deal as my job.
Old September 6th, 2015, 12:25 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisC View Post
I hang out at rangerover.net as well. But this is where I spend most of my time. There is someone else on here as well that goes back and forth. I can't remember who though.
That would be me. I've got a '98 HSE that I love in a weird way. Thanks for the link to your website. I'll definitely check it out! I can't remember the last time I was on RR.net but it's a snore compared to the defender source! Welcome to the board.
Old September 6th, 2015, 01:32 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by D90Overkill View Post
That would be me. I've got a '98 HSE that I love in a weird way. Thanks for the link to your website. I'll definitely check it out! I can't remember the last time I was on RR.net but it's a snore compared to the defender source! Welcome to the board.
More than a snore. No one wants to participate anymore. "Use the search" seems to be the common answer to every problem. Almost antisocial now.

Yes I start with search. But sometimes the search is overwhelming. And we lose the social aspect of a forum.
Old September 6th, 2015, 01:55 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
rijosho, That's certainly a thought, to be honest I was thinking paint as well.. Who knows will have to see. Scotti
Wait I hadn't said anything yet.
Old September 6th, 2015, 02:42 PM
Scotty
Scotty
1963 Series II A 88

LOl ooops I should have directed that response to leastonce, sorry rijosho..
Old September 6th, 2015, 04:32 PM
pl626
Peter
1995 Range Rover County SWB

Registry
Quote:
More than a snore. No one wants to participate anymore. "Use the search" seems to be the common answer to every problem. Almost antisocial now.

Yes I start with search. But sometimes the search is overwhelming. And we lose the social aspect of a forum.
Quote:
There are a few others on RR.net as well. D-source is great because it has a wealth of information not only for Series/Defenders, but also RR's as well. The social component is also something RR.net and the other LR sites lack. There are so many local HHs that help build the BB well beyond the virtual world, and AFAIK, RURR works fairly well here.

pc

'95 RRC SWB
'95 RRC LWB (Sold)
'06 E350 Sport
'87 HD FLST w/ '02 Fatboy sheetmetal
'02 Hobie Getaway
Old September 6th, 2015, 05:05 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

There is nothing like a series truck Scotti. Congratulations to you and have fun!
Old September 6th, 2015, 06:58 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by pl626 View Post
there are a few others on rr.net as well. D-source is great because it has a wealth of information not only for series/defenders, but also rr's as well. The social component is also something rr.net and the other lr sites lack. There are so many local hhs that help build the bb well beyond the virtual world, and afaik, rurr works fairly well here.
x1000
Old September 6th, 2015, 07:12 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
LOl ooops I should have directed that response to leastonce, sorry rijosho..
you need to apologize to me ... for Josh it was a compliment to be confused with me ... for me it's probably going to require some serious therapy to recover ... ;-)
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old September 6th, 2015, 09:51 PM
Scotty
Scotty
1963 Series II A 88

You guys are killin me! I'm going to love it here! Thank you all for the warm welcome. I am actually a moderator on RR.Net not sure why, I spend no time there. I'm hoping to have the new family member home tomorrow! At that time ill pull all the parts out and lay them out for identification and for proper cleaning & storage..
Old September 6th, 2015, 10:15 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Lea Stonce and Jimmy the cat lover are the doppelgängers. Rij Osho is the savant/stalker.
New Sticky? Lol ;-)
Old September 6th, 2015, 10:43 PM
Scotty
Scotty
1963 Series II A 88

Quote:
New Sticky? Lol ;-)

Ok It's all a bit confusing but I'll be here long enough to get it..
Old September 6th, 2015, 11:04 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Quote:
Ok It's all a bit confusing but I'll be here long enough to get it..
A few weeks here and you will be like, rangerover dot who?
Old September 6th, 2015, 11:59 PM
Scotty
Scotty
1963 Series II A 88

I'm already there brother!
Old September 15th, 2015, 10:47 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Luis, Thank you, I've been trying to stay away from RR.Net moving on to better things as you see..

Scotti
Quote:
Quote:

My post is totally off-topic, but above you guys mention rangerovers.net and that both LuisC, D90Overkill, and Scotty (who mentioned he was a mod) are familiar with that site. What the HELL is the problem with those guys over there?

I posted a follow-up question in a thread on rangerovers.net about a viscous fan that the original poster was having. I explained and reiterated the specific part number in question was the same as mine, and said I was having a similar issue and wondered if his fix solved the problem (and if he went genuine or oem). The mods immediately went apeshit, deleting my posts - and any subsequent posts from other users responding to my post - with no inclination why (other than I was from the USA, and couldn't possibly know what I was talking about for this particular part#). They then tried to reprimand me for NOT responding to a follow-up post from another user - even though they had deleted (immediately) both my post as well as the follow-up post! There was other ludicrous exchanges between myself and the mods, who insisted that (sarcasm) because I did not post my mothers maiden name, social security number, and length of my penis in that particular post it would not be allowed.

If Stalin himself was reincarnated and ran an internet forum, I can only imagine it would be rangerovers.net. That said, I am suddenly extremely grateful for the hands-off approach that the mods here on D-90 take...
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions