Hesitation problems? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Old September 10th, 2012, 04:11 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Hesitation problems?

In my 2.25 petrol 8:1 compression with a 2bbl weber carb, it seems to get a hesitation (feels like its bucking) randomly throughout all the gears and the rpm range, although I only have issues in 3rd and 4th but my father found the issue to be mainly in 1st and 2nd. But i started noticing it 2 weeks ago, I changed the sparked plugs and wires the other night and didn't change anything (I didn't change them because of this). My father believes it is either the timing or the accelerator pump if it has one is bad.

So I have a few questions:
Does the the 2bbl weber have an accelerator pump?
Do you think it's a timing issue from what I described?
What do you guys think the issue could be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 10th, 2012, 04:20 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Hot cold? Both?
Fuel tank level?
Any recent mods on fuel or ignition?
How do the plugs look?

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old September 10th, 2012, 05:21 PM
JohnsD90
John

Registry
Happens both hot and cold, I fill up before the tank is at half as the gauge gets wierd below half. No recent fuel mods, spark plugs looked fine when I changed the and the wires a few days ago, it made no difference to the problem, the truck does pull harder now but that's just cause it was new plugs and now the correct plugs for the motor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 10th, 2012, 09:05 PM
JohnsD90
John

Registry
Also I forgot to add that it has had electronic ignition for the past 11 years, so it's not a points thing.
Old November 7th, 2012, 12:28 PM
71exmod
Bob
69 SIIA Bugeye

John,
this is something new so I wouldn't expect the timing to have changed unless the distributor rotated. I know with the truck that I had with a 34ICH weber had these same symptoms. The jets on that carb are on the bottom of the bowl. I cleaned these out, and changed the filters and it cleared everything up. There is an inline filter and one at the inlet to that carb. They were changed not to long ago. Not sure if that carb is the same do not recall. Never had to fool with it, always ran fine.
Bob
Old November 17th, 2012, 07:34 PM
JohnsD90
John

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71exmod View Post
John,
this is something new so I wouldn't expect the timing to have changed unless the distributor rotated. I know with the truck that I had with a 34ICH weber had these same symptoms. The jets on that carb are on the bottom of the bowl. I cleaned these out, and changed the filters and it cleared everything up. There is an inline filter and one at the inlet to that carb. They were changed not to long ago. Not sure if that carb is the same do not recall. Never had to fool with it, always ran fine.
Bob
I changed the accelerator pump, and the hesitation went away, but i did find a place to get parts for it. Thanks for the tip! I confirmed that it was the progressive 2 barrel carb.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Tags
problems