Hella Lights on Series II ?????? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Old August 11th, 2011, 10:05 PM
Arrington
Jason
series II 1966

Hella Lights on Series II ??????

What does everyone here use for driving lights on there land rovers. Looking for some 6 inch or 7 inch light to put on my bumper for my 88. Thought about useing Hella's but not sure which ones and if the electrical system will handle the lights. Does anyone have any pointers for this situation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 11th, 2011, 10:31 PM
JBinAlabama
john
Series 2A ..more parts on the way

I remember seeing some on a website that fit the existing hole for stock lights.
We are going to use both on our project!
Old August 12th, 2011, 10:06 AM
TeriAnn
Teriann Wakeman
1960 Dormobile

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrington View Post
What does everyone here use for driving lights on there land rovers. Looking for some 6 inch or 7 inch light to put on my bumper for my 88. Thought about useing Hella's but not sure which ones and if the electrical system will handle the lights. Does anyone have any pointers for this situation?
You didn't mention the year of your 88, but if you have the early style ignition/headlamp combo switch the answer is that the switch will not handle the extra current long term. These trucks came with a minimal electrical system and the switch can only handle about 13-14 AMPs on a continuous basis. I run lots of electrics in my truck so added a big master relay. The only thing my ignition switch does is activate the master relay. The master relay handles all the switched 12V. In addition I have relays for both the bright and dim headlamps (I run higher than stock wattage), the horn, electric radiator fan, aux lighting and heated windscreens.

The only way to reliably have additional lighting is by using a relay to handle the current draw.

That said if you want new Hellas, browse their catalogue & pick the ones you like. I personally have 2 fog lamps and 2 driving lamps. The fog lamp has a wider but shorter light pattern that is good for seeing off to the sides of the road or trail. I have my fog lamps angles just slightly out to each side but still with good centre coverage.

Mine are "old school" 3000's that I picked up used for cheap right after the 3000's were discontinued. It never hurts to shop used lighting as I got all 4 for about the price of a single new one.

You usually can get more for your money going with new IPF lights over new Hellas or Cibis though. I have IPF headlamps with high wattage bulbs and really like them. They have a very sharp low beam cutoff pattern that keeps lights out of the way of oncoming drivers. My low beams are 60W and I have never been flashed by an oncoming driver.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Tags
ht, lights, series