Has anyone retrofitted AC in a Series II? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Old February 4th, 2009, 12:00 AM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Has anyone retrofitted AC in a Series II?

Is this even possible to retrofit AC or was it even an option for a Series II?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 4th, 2009, 07:05 AM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

I used to have A/C in a Santana S3, it was a complete
adaptation, nothing OEM. It was ugly but effective (and
necesary down here...).
Old February 4th, 2009, 07:16 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
There's a company called Vintage Air, I think they're in Texas. They have lots of stuff that looks good in older vehicles. They pretty much specialize in adapting stuff to whatever you have.

http://www.vintageair.com/Universalapps1.asp

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 4th, 2009, 10:59 AM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
There's a company called Vintage Air, I think they're in Texas. They have lots of stuff that looks good in older vehicles. They pretty much specialize in adapting stuff to whatever you have.

http://www.vintageair.com/Universalapps1.asp
Thank you. From this site I was able to find a local guy here who says he would be more then willing to fabricate a system for a Series.
Old February 4th, 2009, 11:02 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

I have a brand new Vintage Air complete system that we bought to install into a SIIA, but the customer backed out.
I have no use for it and would sell it all (control, comp. cond, evap, hoses, etc) for 700. to get it out of the shop.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old February 4th, 2009, 11:59 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Mike - Have you every considered using Vintage Air parts to re-work or re-engineer the 93 NAS system? I was thinking about giving it a go but didn't want to wade into something someone else already tried.

Old February 4th, 2009, 12:38 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Mike - Have you every considered using Vintage Air parts to re-work or re-engineer the 93 NAS system? I was thinking about giving it a go but didn't want to wade into something someone else already tried.

I battled with the NAS 110 system years ago, found a bunch of NOS parts from Wynns (makers of the system) and tried this that and the other thing with street rod parts. In the end the fact that the heater core and the AC evap are in the same box make the system suck. The better solution IMO is the 90 style system. The only down side of it being passenger leg room.
They can still be made to work, but to get them into 100% shape and working well takes a lot of time in labor and searching out parts.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old February 4th, 2009, 12:48 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Interesting, I was wondering what the major weakness of the system was. I still prefer the idea of functional cowl vents, but the idea of getting the original system working is very appealing - especially since everyone says it sucks and always has.

Old May 12th, 2016, 09:56 AM
Mike Kerns
Mike Kerns
1965 Series 2a

AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by aosias View Post
Thank you. From this site I was able to find a local guy here who says he would be more then willing to fabricate a system for a Series.
How did the ac retro fit go?
Old July 1st, 2016, 12:14 PM
TeriAnn
Teriann Wakeman
1960 Dormobile

Registry
For historical reference there was the Normalair air conditioning system which was approved by Land Rover (wouldn't affect vehicle warranty).

Normalair

Old July 1st, 2016, 12:52 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
You can also try getting the 2.25 ac brackets that were for defender. The hardest part is the interior ducting

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old July 1st, 2016, 02:19 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

There is a local guy here in Atlanta that has a Vintage Air system in his Austin Healey 3000. It's nearly invisible - a very nice installation in something I would have never thought it possible to install an air conditioner in.
Old July 4th, 2016, 10:46 PM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

Search the Rovers North forum for Series. Guy in Arizona put in a Summit Racing AC unit in and looked pretty good.
Old July 5th, 2016, 07:44 AM
Contractor
Will
1969 IIA

I think I am going to start researching this, we have been over 100 here for days with no change in sight. I love driving my Series trucks, but damn it is getting brutal.
Old July 10th, 2017, 09:40 AM
bacook
Brian Cook
1966 Series IIa 109 Station Wagon

I recently put a Vintage Air system into a 1968 Camaro and it works great. However, I couldn't find an evaporator unit that looked like it'd fit the Series bulkhead well. I'm currently considering this one from Nostalgic Air. The dimensions look right and I like that the controls are build-in. I'm wondering how hard it'd be to paint the ABS plastic housing to match my pastel green/limestone scheme.

Apparently I need to post more to use URLs. Replace the "dot com" with a real .com and it'll work.
nostalgicac dot com/evaporator-units/underdash-evaporators/ud-140-under-dash-evaporator-unit-1967-1972-chevy.html
Old July 10th, 2017, 09:49 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

I know this is an old post, but we put a Diavia unit from a 1994 NAS 90 in a Series III years ago.
It worked great, but made the 2.25 petrol even slower when the compressor cycled on.
We had to make custom hoses and switch to a pusher electric fan in front of the condenser and a puller located in the plastic fan shroud.

I spent the weekend installing a used Elite unit in a RHD 110.
We went to mechanical controls and got rid of the circuit board ECU.
It took some time to figure it all out, but will be making up the hoses this week as soon as all the fittings arrive.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, series