Grill Mesh Size - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Old September 24th, 2010, 02:25 AM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Grill Mesh Size

Can anyone tell me what mesh size the light-behind-grille woven wire openings were on the early Series II? Did the size change at all while the woven grilles were in use?

Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 24th, 2010, 12:24 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

You mean early SI?

Or do you mean SII?

I have every grill exept for a 1948-1950ish SI so I can check if you want to know SII.
Old September 24th, 2010, 12:55 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

I would love to find out for both. Basically I am fabricating some Saudi-style front grilles for Defenders and I want to use materials that tie back to the earlier distinct styling on the Series vehicles.

I will likely go with the finer of the two though since one motivation for doing this is to keep rocks from hitting my fmic while allowing as much airflow as possible.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 24th, 2010, 02:48 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Will do, the goal is to come up with something to produce in limited quantities for those who like the look. Hopefully in the next 2 weeks.

Old September 25th, 2010, 02:43 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

The squares on my 1951, 1959, and SIIa grill are all 3/4in on center. They appear to be 1/8in wide strap.
Old September 25th, 2010, 06:35 AM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Thanks, is the mesh plain weave or crimped? Would you be willing to take a close up photo? There are a lot of different kinds of mesh out there and 3/4" is particularly difficult to source.

Old September 25th, 2010, 09:39 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
it is crimped and woven. doubt you will be able to source it. Others have made their dies and built their own grills.
It will be enough of a challenge to find the flat wire in the correct width and gauge. Though I guess if you are making dies you can make the wire too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajh View Post
Thanks, is the mesh plain weave or crimped? Would you be willing to take a close up photo? There are a lot of different kinds of mesh out there and 3/4" is particularly difficult to source.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions