Gaz or diesel - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Old April 26th, 2015, 02:49 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverman2010 View Post
Bring them all, her indoors now wants a series
I like her indoors more and more every day...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 27th, 2015, 08:56 AM
LR Max
Thomason, Max
1973 Series 3 109

I disagree with the "not a lot of help available for diesel engines" argument. Do a search for any shop that "builds" Cummins, Duramax, or Powerstroke trucks. Its a starting point. Basically the only thing the diesel engines needs is injector pump tuning which is super easy for any experienced diesel mechanic. That is pretty much all you need and once you see a pro do it, you can probably tune your own injector pump after that (assuming you enjoy being a student of automotive repair).

Also they come apart and back together just as easily as the gas engines. No reason to be afraid of these older diesel engines (however be VERY careful and read about cracking injectors, this warning comes from working on modern common rail injectors. Probably not an issue on these older units but I'd rather err on the side of caution).

That said, diesel series trucks are horrible to actually drive here in the US. We all drive way to friggen fast for these trucks. So you are limited to driving in low congestion areas/times. The only reason I would bring in a diesel series is to swap a TDI in. Except for not being original, a TDI in a series is pretty awesome.

On the flipside, a good gasser will keep up better on the streets. Super you lose the magical "30 mpg" but you can drive the vehicle easily. Obviously parts are readily available and you don't have to worry about cold starts, etc.

Oh and with the diesel, gloves. Wear gloves. Actually that is true for the gasser vehicles too. They just all smell and leave amazing marks on your hands.
Old April 27th, 2015, 09:42 AM
Landinmtl
Nicolas Faucher
Series IIA

Thanks for your answer LR Max!
I'll base my purshase on the condition of the truck wether it is a petrol or diesel.
At the time we have seen a VERY original beige IIA that has 100k miles with the safari top and looking front hubs and a gaz engine. But it's not cheap...We are going to have a look at it for the second time later today.
I would like to see the truck Redrum recommanded before we make a décision. Seeing a truck that is recommanded by a trustworthy mecanic would be reasuring!

Thanks to all for your help!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 28th, 2015, 09:38 AM
Jim-ME
Jim Ecker
1964 Series 2/2a bitsa

I converted from gas to diesel. Swapped out a 2.25 gas to a 2.5 diesel. There is no way I would go back. I went from 15 mpg to 25 mpg. The fuel savings alone fo a year of daily driving paid for the cost of the engine. Yes it is still slow 50/55 mph but I like slow. The engine is capable of 65 mph if I push it.
Jim
Old April 28th, 2015, 09:43 AM
Landinmtl
Nicolas Faucher
Series IIA

Is the 2.5 the same (as old school) as the 2.25 with just a bigger displacement?
Old April 28th, 2015, 12:02 PM
Jim-ME
Jim Ecker
1964 Series 2/2a bitsa

Yes it is as far as I know.
Old May 6th, 2015, 06:13 PM
Landinmtl
Nicolas Faucher
Series IIA

Well the owner on the Series IIA we found decided not to sell it at the very last minute!

So after scouting the ads we found this ... It´s not a Series but still very cool.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-641486855.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	545.0 KB
ID:	120111

A 2 door 79 RRC
If all goes well it will be our tomorrow!
Old May 6th, 2015, 06:58 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Very cool indeed!
Old May 6th, 2015, 09:14 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Is it gaz or diezel?
Old May 7th, 2015, 07:45 AM
Landinmtl
Nicolas Faucher
Series IIA

Gaz, it has a 3.5L V8 on carbs...
The diesel engine started latter in these

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-581241289.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	555.5 KB
ID:	120151

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions