Galvanizing question: Brass - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Old April 11th, 2012, 03:42 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

Galvanizing question: Brass

If there is a brass bushing in place when a frame is galvanized what happens?
Stick, not stick....? I talked to the galvanizer today and they were not helpful, but they said they would dip it and find out.

The clutch relay on my series 1 goes through the frame. The bushing is no where to be found because it is different than the RHD version (according to the parts book). I could have one made but my budget and patience for this project is wearing thin. I want to drive it!

My bushings are in perfectly fine shape but I cannot remove it with out destroying it. So can I just galvanize the frame with the bushing in??

On a related note I'm on the fence about galvanizing the frame, I am doing the bulkhead and all the cappings though. I'm not exactly keeping it original as it now has a 200tdi and toyota axles. I'm never really done with projects so I keep thinking it may be better to just paint it now put it all together and galvanize it later if I want too... thoughts appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 11th, 2012, 04:53 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

When I galvanized the tire carrier on my D90 I left the brass bushings in. It sort of stuck, but I just drilled out the zinc and it was fine.

Galvanize it now and never worry again. Also adds a lot of value (especially if you find a buyer not in the desert).
Old April 11th, 2012, 06:07 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
When I galvanized the tire carrier on my D90 I left the brass bushings in. It sort of stuck, but I just drilled out the zinc and it was fine.

Galvanize it now and never worry again. Also adds a lot of value (especially if you find a buyer not in the desert).
it would still add value to those of us in the desert...just sayin...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 11th, 2012, 06:15 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

I tested a few diffrent way to keep galvy off threads, maybe one of them would work to keep it off the brass?

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...t=26346&page=4
Old April 11th, 2012, 08:46 PM
Rosproline157
Matt Oaks
1992 Defender 90

Registry
Heat from the hot dip will expand the steel brass bushing will likely fall out...Good luck
Old April 11th, 2012, 09:33 PM
D90user
steve

Thanks for the input.
I know I should... and I will.

Dave- That is super helpful. Thank you very much for doing that and posting the info. I'm going to fill all l the tapped bulkhead threads with the silicon and hope for the best. If you have any further thoughts I'm all ears.

They will expand slightly differently but wont they expand together?
Ron... yours stayed put ya?
Old April 12th, 2012, 11:47 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Steve whats your time line ? I'm hoping to dip two bulkheads next month and would prefer to learn from your experience ?

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 12th, 2012, 02:30 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Mine stayed put. No harm in a little retaining wire though, I guess. And mine was a NAS D90 tire carrier.
Old April 12th, 2012, 03:08 PM
TeriAnn
Teriann Wakeman
1960 Dormobile

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
Steve whats your time line ? I'm hoping to dip two bulkheads next month and would prefer to learn from your experience ?
This is second hand but some people have had issues with bulkhead warping and have suggested building a frame that holds the bulkhead at the two bottom mounts and the windscreen mounts to keep it rigid.

Old April 13th, 2012, 11:10 AM
D90user
steve

Doug- if I get off my ass I was going to do it next week. But I'm goign to the UK for a meeting so it will likely happen the first or second week in May.
I'm going to have two free weekends so I'm looking for random series bits to carry home

Ron- Good idea

Terriann- Thanks for the heads up. I have read the storied and I think a piece of angle between the bottom holes where it bolts to the outrigger will do the trick. No quenching also.
Old April 13th, 2012, 12:14 PM
1962siia88
Daniel Rogers
1962siia88

Registry
Hey Steve

Id go down there in person to ask your question. They were more than friendly and helpful when I used them last. I would think you could leave the bushing in. Brass melts at a much higher temp than the hot dip tank. Also you can buy galvanized brass pluming parts so I'd think the bushing would survive. You would just have to be carefully getting the zinc off the bushing afterwards.

I'd be more concerned with how they intend to get all the zinc back out of yur chassis and spend time discussing this this them or someone who has done it before. They just did gene's 109 chassis and bulkhead a month or so ago and they actually damaged his bulkhead and the sandblaster was problematic too. They made good on his bulkhead but I think discussing with them how you want you parts hung for dipping would be a good idea. Brett has a good page about his experience here http://www.gottdenerdesigns.com/galvanizing.html Maybe you can put a bolt through the bushing to use for hanging the chassis when it's dipped.

Cheers,

Daniel
Old April 13th, 2012, 03:58 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeriAnn View Post
This is second hand but some people have had issues with bulkhead warping and have suggested building a frame that holds the bulkhead at the two bottom mounts and the windscreen mounts to keep it rigid.
Depends on the galvanizer. Ike rebuilt my bulkhead and galvanized it with no problems. Have not heard of any recent bulkheads warping either.
Old April 13th, 2012, 05:28 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Maybe you could put a bolt through the bushing with RTV and use some fender washers w RTV on the outside of the bolt to protect the outside of the bush?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Tags
galvanizing