Galvanized Frame Y/N - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Old October 29th, 2011, 11:08 AM
JPBrown
James Brown
91 & 2000-110 -93 130 wagon, 88 d90

Galvanized Frame Y/N

Quick question - I have a series truck I'm rebuilding for possible resale and the original frame condition is great meaning solid no rust at all - I have an option to Galvanize the frame would this add to the value or do series guys prefer original frame in great condition?

Thanks
James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 29th, 2011, 12:16 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Don't waste your money galvanizing an old frame. Buy a new galvanized frame. Nothing magic about originality with old Rovers. They not like they're a darn Aston Martin or anything.

All things considered a new galvanized frame will add value and you'll easily recoup the spend when you sell it. The original frame in rust free condition won't necessarily add value, but a tatty frame will definitely reduce it by quite a lot.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old October 29th, 2011, 12:41 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I would think galvanizing would be much cheaper than buying new
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 29th, 2011, 01:07 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
It's not a money question. A 30-50 year old chassis is going to have crud. Some will be outside where you can easily see and remove it and some will be inside the box rails where you cannot. The crud will prevent the zinc from sticking. It will eventually rot where the galvanizing bath failed to stick. The only way is to chemically strip the chassis in an acid bath. Even if it were God's own chassis, I would still buy a new one.

A new chassis is going to be clean inside and out when it is built with new steel. When it goes to be galvanized it needs only a short pickling bath in hydrochloric acid to clear the surface rust and oil and dirt. It comes out of that bath clean as clean can be and when it goes in the dip tank, everything gets a good coat of metal, inside and out.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old November 2nd, 2011, 08:19 AM
kjva
Ken Jackson
1985 110 Wagon

Another vote for galvanised, rebuilt my 1970 2A SWB Wagon on a galv frame after a couple of builds on original frames would go galv every time.
Old November 2nd, 2011, 09:07 AM
LRover
J. Michael McCaig
D90 ST, LR110, Series IIa, RRC

If I was looking for a Series, I would prefer an original vehicle - on it's original frame (in good condition) that had not been taken apart and put back together. If I were looking for a rebuilt vehicle, then I would look at the sum of its parts and a galvanized frame would add value.
Old November 2nd, 2011, 11:21 AM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
It will eventually rot where the galvanizing bath failed to stick. The only way is to chemically strip the chassis in an acid bath.
Dont they always go the acid bath before the galvanizing tank?
Old November 2nd, 2011, 12:13 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
The acid bath used for galvanizing is used to remove flash rust, light machining oil, etc. If you saw it you would understand - there's no way it's going to clean the crud inside a frame rail let alone any grease on the outside of it. It gets bare metal "clean" at the molecular level so that it accepts the flux prior to dipping in the hot zinc bath.

I have never heard of an acid bath to clean a greasy nasty chassis. You have to use a hot tank with caustic wash.
Old November 2nd, 2011, 01:11 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
The acid bath used for galvanizing is used to remove flash rust, light machining oil, etc. If you saw it you would understand - there's no way it's going to clean the crud inside a frame rail let alone any grease on the outside of it. It gets bare metal "clean" at the molecular level so that it accepts the flux prior to dipping in the hot zinc bath.

I have never heard of an acid bath to clean a greasy nasty chassis. You have to use a hot tank with caustic wash.
It was this step that was missed in Mexico that caused the 550,000 Tacoma's that had the potential to be bought back... Mine was bought back
Old November 2nd, 2011, 01:27 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Tacomas frames are galvanized?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions